Family History of Type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanz20

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just wondered whether people with Type 1 have a family history as when i was diagnosed the consultant was rather amazed to hear that i know of nobody else in the family that is or has been Type 1, they seem to be under the impression that it must be somewhere in the family but ive asked the whole family and nobody knows!!! :confused:

No other diabetics, type 1 or 2, in the family. Well that we know of. 🙂

Nope, same for me - no-one at all, although my father has suffered from psoriasis for 20 years, which is also auto-immune (I think!). There's always the possibility of course, that relations from many generations ago may have had it - I'm thinking of my great-grandmother's family where several of the children died young, as was often the case in those days. :( Plus, I got it at the grand old age of 49!😱

There is no-one in this generation (apart from an aunt who is type 2 so i dont think that counts) - but on further investigation we found that Alex's great great grandmother died aged 30 - she had become ill , lost most of her body weight and went blind - all within about 3 weeks. But this was before insulin was invented in 1922! So i suspect she was diabetic - but there is no actual proof. Bev

OK I will be different.
I'm the 4th generation type 1 🙂

Thats very interesting Type1_sue, I have not known of four generations before. I am second generation of Type 1, my father developed it just as my mum was pregant with me. This fuels my (uneducated) theory that this is why I have diabetes and not necessarily my older sister. His HbA1c was likely to have been out of range/high when I was conceived.

Are there any patterns in your family?

Apparently about 90% of type 1's have no type 1 diabetes in the immediate or known family. However they do know of course that there is a genetic propensity... The only thing we can find out is that a great-uncle or something had it! Never knew him or even of him until now.

Just wondered whether people with Type 1 have a family history as when i was diagnosed the consultant was rather amazed to hear that i know of nobody else in the family that is or has been Type 1, they seem to be under the impression that it must be somewhere in the family but ive asked the whole family and nobody knows!!! :confused:

Both parents type 1 and all brothers and sisters type 1, us kids didnt develope it till we left school though. :confused:

Last edited:
My dad's father is a type two and I believe but don't know of any ingrained family history of it. Though it could be a possible cause for deaths on my dad's side. Not that I know much about my old man's side of the family.

Tom H

I thought there was noone in my family with type 1 until about two weeks ago when my Grandmother announced that her brother had it, she'd never thought to mention it before! Other than that the only other link if my Grandad who has type 2.

A few years ago I traced my birth family. Discovered I was the eldest of 10! 4 girls 6 boys. All the girls were diabetic but since then 5 boys have all been diagnosed as well. 1 sadly died - stroke. Also my birth mother was diabetic, she also died after stroke. Believe me, since finding out this I'm a lot more conciencious about taking my blood pressure tabs!

Thats very interesting Type1_sue, I have not known of four generations before. I am second generation of Type 1, my father developed it just as my mum was pregant with me. This fuels my (uneducated) theory that this is why I have diabetes and not necessarily my older sister. His HbA1c was likely to have been out of range/high when I was conceived.

Are there any patterns in your family?

All on my Fathers side of the family. Great Great Uncle, Great Aunt, Uncle, then me.
Oddly enough there are autoimmune problems on Mum's side of the family and I have copted the lot 🙄 Both my brothers got off scott free.

My mum had it and my grandma. No one is sure which type either of them were though. But no one is sure which type I am yet either 😉

My mum had it and my grandma. No one is sure which type either of them were though. But no one is sure which type I am yet either 😉

I don't think they used to make any distinction (or at least not calling them Type 1 and Type 2) until fairly recently - sometime in the late '70s I think (but don't quote me!)

That's really interesting... I need to do some family digging.

until recently (last 3-4 years) no one else in my family had diabetes, but now my mum and aunty have both developed type 2 so im still the only type 1 in my family. i have traced my family history all the way back to the early scottish clans and as far as i can tell they all lived to what was a ripe old age for the era they lived in.

No type 1's in my family but lots of MODY's. my brother, my mum, my grandad, his sister etc etc there is around 20 of us so far.

it's worth anyone with a really strong family history checking if they could have MODY

my grand dad on mothers side developed diabetes late on, around 70ish i think. he had both legs amputated a few years earlier, but we all put that down to the many woodbines he smoked non stop :confused: but thinking about could have had diabetes a long long while. Dont know any other type 1 or 2 in immediate family.

No record of any history of family members with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back