Falling asleep for no known reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stress, infection, hydration, the weather, other medical conditions and genetics all have an impact on our blood sugar levels.

Not everyone will get complications, others of us get every common one and more. I don’t judge as you don’t know circumstances, my type 2 is genetic I am third generation and the ladies of us have all lost babies and my symptoms on set with an eating disorder as a child, there’s stats coming through on all types of diabetes and eating disorders now and you would be surprised why someone suffers with eating distress or disorders, last thing we need to to penalise each other as strength in numbers to reach understanding towards a cure which is why I volunteer for research with DUk
Sarahp I am pleased to hear you say these things. In my family, no immediate family still living sadly, but on my mother’s side she didn’t have diabetes but my uncles and my brother all had what was then called “late onset diabetes” as it normally began at age 60 plus, the exception being those members with type 1. None of my family were ever overweight which we keep hearing, but I am carrying a couple of stone more than I should, my brother was diagnosed in his 40s he is ten years younger than me. I had an eating disorder and also psoriasis which I still have but it disappeared only to hide as it can, until I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2016. My late father’s side of the family all had heart problems including my father who all seven of them died young.

I meant to add, I have not fallen asleep today without meaning to and my BGs are back to single figures

Last edited:
Sarahp I am pleased to hear you say these things. In my family, no immediate family still living sadly, but on my mother’s side she didn’t have diabetes but my uncles and my brother all had what was then called “late onset diabetes” as it normally began at age 60 plus, the exception being those members with type 1. None of my family were ever overweight which we keep hearing, but I am carrying a couple of stone more than I should, my brother was diagnosed in his 40s he is ten years younger than me. I had an eating disorder and also psoriasis which I still have but it disappeared only to hide as it can, until I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2016. My late father’s side of the family all had heart problems including my father who all seven of them died young.
I am sorry you too have diabetes traveling through the family, it comes to via my dads side of the family, over the years I have seen comments about male baldness showing a link but never seen actual statistics and that if two siblings inherit the gene that the female will also suffer fertility issues but again hearsay but in my family seems true so far.
Sorry you also suffered with an eating disorder (bulimia and was almost 30 st at my worst) , my diagnosis of type two was age 21, I was insulin resistant by age 13 and infertile by then due to PCOS which some type2 are burdened with.
It’s such a cruel disease, we all suffer so differently as well so we can’t even compare notes easily when supporting each other.
I am sorry about the losses in your family re heart disease, another illness we are at risk of unfortunately, I am 45 and now have some heart issues, fighting to keep at bay, I hope you manage to keep your own stable now onwards , your certainly putting the effort in.
Please take good care and be kind to yourself x

Thank you I also have heart problems! I coukd never get pregnant either

I love a nap. All the more as the years roll by!

Hope you get to the bottom of it @Annette&Bertie 🙂
I’m not just as worried as I was, time will tell but next Thursday I get my most recent HbA1c result the last one was 6.3 fingers crossed. My biggest weakness in life was pasta LoL I could kill for a plate of spaghetti bolognese which I last had more than a year ago LoL. I notice that my surgery only ever use the old numbers.

I’m not just as worried as I was, time will tell but next Thursday I get my most recent HbA1c result the last one was 6.3 fingers crossed. My biggest weakness in life was pasta LoL I could kill for a plate of spaghetti bolognese which I last had more than a year ago LoL. I notice that my surgery only ever use the old numbers.
Have you tried the edamame or black bean pasta which is much lower in carbs than normal pasta.

No but last year I tried the wholewheat stuff which is no lower but more GI friendly I know but I hated it. As perhaps a monthly treat I shall have a look for those, I have never heard of them, are these widely available?
Just found these on Amazon and Holland and Barrett !

Last edited:
I notice that my surgery only ever use the old numbers.

Yes I noticed that too.

I’m sure you could request them in ‘new’ numbers if you’d prefer? (well they were the new units in 2009, and took over officially in 2011, so well over 10 years ago!).

The practice must be converting to %, as I don’t think most labs report % figures any more?

Yes I noticed that too.

I’m sure you could request them in ‘new’ numbers if you’d prefer? (well they were the new units in 2009, and took over officially in 2011, so well over 10 years ago!).

The practice must be converting to %, as I don’t think most labs report % figures any more?
I asked my DB nurse last time I had my HbA1c, she is very experienced and mainly deals with diabetic patients, because it got very confusing for me, but I’m used to it. Her reply was “well we just do!”

I get my HbA1c results on Thursday afternoon. I try so hard to get them below 40. I won’t eat a single thing I shouldn’t despite using all my willpower, I could kill for a piece of cake haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back