Fairly high risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

books_and_cats

Relationship to Diabetes
Hello everyone
I don't have diabetes but am at pretty high risk - it's rampant on both sides of my family. I'm half Iraqi and strongly favour that side of my family genetically - I have read this increases my genetic risk (though some of that could be due to the Middle Eastern fondness for very sweet sweets - think baklava). I've always been slim at a hair under 5"4 and 8st, but my frame is very small by European standards - can fit my thumb and little finger around my wrist - so I don't think I should be much heavier. If I do put on weight it goes directly to my middle. As I approach 30, I've noticed that I need to pay attention to what I eat to maintain my weight, and any weight I do gain goes directly to my stomach (nice). My diet is probably average to slightly-better than average. I am vegetarian and have been for about ten years, but lately I've been reading that this might not be the best choice for people at risk of diabetes. I've been trying to cut down on bread and replace with more vegetables and protein sources. Would anyone like to tell me about their diet and how it affects their blood sugar, particularly if you are vegetarian? Thanks

It's very difficult to say 'do this and don't do that' for the simple reason that every single person alive has different metabolism to the next person so the way their body assimilates this or that will vary. It's body fat we can't see that does more damage than what we can - ie excess fat round the organs is particularly dangerous rather than a 'spare tyre'. However they also tell us that putting on weight round our middles, seems to accompany fat round internal organs, so we'd best not do it!

I noted in my teens when all of us girls aspired to look like Twiggy ie fairly skinny at that time actually in retrospect - that carbohydrate generally caused me to put on weight, hence I always limited particularly 'stodge' - starchy carb - but also stuff like fleshy sweet fruit (and bananas) and root veg and legumes. However I have absolutely no idea whatever whether that would suit you or anyone else - they'd have to try it.

You most likely couldn't possibly stop eating legumes if you're a vegetarian - where on earth would you get enough protein from, otherwise?

There is an author called Gretchen Becker whoose book Type 2 Diabetes in the First year, she has also written a book on Pre Diabetes and what to do to keep it away! It might be worth a look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back