Eylea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Oldfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

My first post to this forum but I was an occasional visitor to a previous version so recognise some of the names.

I'm now 52 having been diagnosed with type 1 just before I turned 30. Control wasn't good up until about 7 years ago when my wife Aileen persuaded me to be more proactive and got onto a pump around 5 years ago. Since then, with pretty much a complete overhaul in care regime, control has been much better.

I've been having regular eye checks and they've been flagging up warnings of various severity for a while now and that led to checks using the expensive kit they have at the main hospital in Bath (if you've not seen the detail they can picture these days, it really is quite astonishing the level of detail they can get down to). There's been talk of problems before, but just things to monitor rather than anything urgent.

Another test today though, and things are worse - I have diabetic macular oedema (DMO) in my left eye. The intention is to put me onto a course of Eylea which will be six injections into my eye for each of the next six months. I'll also be called in for a review after 3 and 6 months to see how things are going.

Reading up a bit about Eylea I'm surprised at just how new the drug is. I seem to be one of the earlier people to try it but the consultant today described is a “wonderdrug” that is doing stuff that would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. It's a tricky feeling balancing fear of blindness with being part of a brave new world – though think my generally optimistic nature helps there.

The physical aspect of the procedure doesn't worry me (at least at an intellectual level). Paperwork that I've been given says: “You will be given eye drops that numb the front surface of the eye and an eye wash will be used to clean your eye and the skin around it. During the procedure your face will be covered by a special drape and your eyelids will be held open with a special device to stop you from blinking. You will be given the injection into the white of your eye. You should feel no more than a little pressure during the procedure.” That does remind me of the first time I injected myself – just how I was so scared of sticking a needle into myself when it was really nothing to be worried about.

We'll have to wait to see how this turns out long term but thought I'd post it here. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has been through the process, but also to let others in future know what to expect. I'll try to post updates to go through what happens next.

Hi Rob Welcome back. I hope the treatment works well for you. Please let us know how you get on.

Welcome.
Hope the treatment works for you.
There are a few members who have eye problems.

Best of luck. This new stuff looks amazingly effective, so do let us know how it goes.

Hi Rob, welcome back 🙂 Sorry to hear about the eye problems :( I'm in a similar situation - have been having closely monitored for about 5 years now, and did have a tiny bit of laser a couple of years ago. Now, however, there is a problem which they have said will be treated with the injections, so I will be interested to read of your experiences. My eye hasn't yet reached the stage where the NHS would consider the treatment, and has been stable for the past year, but I do have another review in January (I have been every 4 months), so we will see what happens there. In my case the problems are too close to the macula meaning laser would be too risky.

Although it sounds like a scary prospect, I have always been encouraged by the fact that many other people here have had similar treatment, and more beyond for other problems, so can accept it if it is needed. Eyelea appears to be from the same family as Lucentis, which has been in use for quite a while. Good luck, please keep us updated! 🙂

Hi Rob,
the way the injection is described is exactly what they do for numbing the eye for cataract surgery so can assure you 100% there is no pain what so ever, I had no idea they had even done the injection until after they told me they had. Wishing you the very best.

Hi Rob and wishing you all the best for a good outcome.

Hi Rob,
the way the injection is described is exactly what they do for numbing the eye for cataract surgery so can assure you 100% there is no pain what so ever, I had no idea they had even done the injection until after they told me they had. Wishing you the very best.

Sue said exactly what I was thinking - it absolutely is the same, except they're only injecting your eye LOL

Dunno if the deadening drops are the same, but for the cataract op they bung some in, then some more after another 10 or so mins and then for the op you get a dose of dilating drops, which by now you can't feel at all, even if they normally sting like mad - but dunno if they'd need to dilate for the jab. Anyway they have you staring at a little light (bit like when they do the retinal photography, but brighter) and you can't NOT stare at it cos you can't close your eye - it's best to keep the other one open too, even though it's covered and you can't see a thing with either, as it helps the 'bad' eye stay open more easily too and not distorting your face - try closing one and opening the other as wide as poss, impossible without screwing your face up!

I've not heard of this jab before - but it sounds really interesting. I'm very much in favour of new things that help! LOL

Hi all,

My first post to this forum but I was an occasional visitor to a previous version so recognise some of the names.

I'm now 52 having been diagnosed with type 1 just before I turned 30. Control wasn't good up until about 7 years ago when my wife Aileen persuaded me to be more proactive and got onto a pump around 5 years ago. Since then, with pretty much a complete overhaul in care regime, control has been much better.

I've been having regular eye checks and they've been flagging up warnings of various severity for a while now and that led to checks using the expensive kit they have at the main hospital in Bath (if you've not seen the detail they can picture these days, it really is quite astonishing the level of detail they can get down to). There's been talk of problems before, but just things to monitor rather than anything urgent.

Another test today though, and things are worse - I have diabetic macular oedema (DMO) in my left eye. The intention is to put me onto a course of Eylea which will be six injections into my eye for each of the next six months. I'll also be called in for a review after 3 and 6 months to see how things are going.

Reading up a bit about Eylea I'm surprised at just how new the drug is. I seem to be one of the earlier people to try it but the consultant today described is a “wonderdrug” that is doing stuff that would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. It's a tricky feeling balancing fear of blindness with being part of a brave new world – though think my generally optimistic nature helps there.

The physical aspect of the procedure doesn't worry me (at least at an intellectual level). Paperwork that I've been given says: “You will be given eye drops that numb the front surface of the eye and an eye wash will be used to clean your eye and the skin around it. During the procedure your face will be covered by a special drape and your eyelids will be held open with a special device to stop you from blinking. You will be given the injection into the white of your eye. You should feel no more than a little pressure during the procedure.” That does remind me of the first time I injected myself – just how I was so scared of sticking a needle into myself when it was really nothing to be worried about.

We'll have to wait to see how this turns out long term but thought I'd post it here. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has been through the process, but also to let others in future know what to expect. I'll try to post updates to go through what happens next.
Wow is there any questions you have about this as I had my first eye done yesterday x

According to my dentist, they use cocaine to numb the eyeball! (I was telling him about my lasering)

Many thanks for all the information and support - and very reassuring to hear the 'not at all painful' reports. I'll certainly come back to report on how it goes.

Kaylz - no particular questions from me, but really hope it goes well for you as well. Do I have it right that you're having both eyes treated this way, but they're doing one at a time?

Wishing you the very best for a positive outcome Rob. I am so pleased to read that there is something that can be done for macular oedema these days.

I went through this in my eye along with proliferative retinopathy about 20+ years ago and apart from laser there was no drug treatment for the DMO. It is great to read that you have been offered this treatment as being told there is nothing more we can do is quite mind blowing. The thought of having an injection into the eye is in my experience much better in reality than imagining it in your mind.

Good luck with the Eylea injections, I'll be hoping and looking out for a positive update 🙂

Hi Rob,
My dad (T1 for overv50 years) had to have these injections done, he didn't feel any pain at all, he had a longer coursecthsn 6 injections I think, but it has fixed his eye!
Good luck 🙂

Welcome Rob. I hope all goes well.

Many thanks for all the information and support - and very reassuring to hear the 'not at all painful' reports. I'll certainly come back to report on how it goes.

Kaylz - no particular questions from me, but really hope it goes well for you as well. Do I have it right that you're having both eyes treated this way, but they're doing one at a time?
Yes Rob I am having both eyes done, the left had it's first injection on Friday and I have an appointment on Thursday for my right eye, I've really noticed a difference since having it done and the only trouble I ran into was the side where the injection was got itchy friday and saturday night but that's all, I was told I'd be let out straight after it but when arrived the woman at reception told my lift to go home and phone in 2 hours, my lift wasn't so happy 45 minutes later when i phoned her to come and pick me up haha x

Yes Rob I am having both eyes done, the left had it's first injection on Friday and I have an appointment on Thursday for my right eye, I've really noticed a difference since having it done and the only trouble I ran into was the side where the injection was got itchy friday and saturday night but that's all, I was told I'd be let out straight after it but when arrived the woman at reception told my lift to go home and phone in 2 hours, my lift wasn't so happy 45 minutes later when i phoned her to come and pick me up haha x
Hope all goes smoothly with the other eye @Kaylz 🙂

Thanks Kaylz. Very good that you've got a noticeable improvement so quickly, and hope I can keep up.

One interesting aspect of the conversation with consultant is that he kind of dismissed laser work. I mentioned it and he brushed the idea off but not sure whether that was 'just my case' or 'my eye problem not suitable' or 'he doesn't like lasers' or 'they're on their way out'.

Thanks Kaylz. Very good that you've got a noticeable improvement so quickly, and hope I can keep up.

One interesting aspect of the conversation with consultant is that he kind of dismissed laser work. I mentioned it and he brushed the idea off but not sure whether that was 'just my case' or 'my eye problem not suitable' or 'he doesn't like lasers' or 'they're on their way out'.
I'm not entirely sure whether the emphasis might have changed also - the problems I have had have always been close to the macula, which is why they've monitored it so closely - if it had just been background changes on the periphery they might have just let it be reviewed through normal screening. However, they did do a small amount of lasering a couple of years ago, but now I'm told it's too close to the macula to attempt it! 🙄

It certainly helps to hear this topic discussed, and hear the experiences of others 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back