Eye test results .......some retinopathy detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Don't know how much , going to phone them Monday morning to see how much and what they advise .

Bit worried and this is all happening too fast for me .

What does your letter say? If it is just background retinopathy then there is no real cause for concern at this stage and it is just a question of managing your BG levels as well as you can and you may find that at your next screening it has resolved or it may be still there but no worse or of course it could get worse and need closer monitoring or perhaps some action, but the background retinopathy can resolve within a year or several years providing you do your best to manage your diabetes. Basically it is a very early warning sign and is not uncommon at diagnosis, particularly if your diabetes has gone undetected for a year or two which can happen with Type 2.
Hopefully that is all it is. I had one the year before last, but last year it had resolved.

Don't know how much , going to phone them Monday morning to see how much and what they advise .

Bit worried and this is all happening too fast for me .
As others have said read the letter again as it will say see you in 12 months or 6mths or urgent referral. 12 mths just means slight change so keep an eye on BP and blood sugars.

Hi guys and thanks for the replies

It says

Your screening shows some retinopathy

We will monitor this at your next screening

You will be invited for screening again next year

Diabetic Eye Screening Wales

July 2022

Hi guys and thanks for the replies

It says

Your screening shows some retinopathy

We will monitor this at your next screening

You will be invited for screening again next year

Diabetic Eye Screening Wales

July 2022
If the screening service are content to wait a year before seeing you again, things must be minor. Was there much concern you would be seen sooner.

I don't know if you are newly diagnosed, but in any case, if you are able to get your blood sugars into a decent place and keep them there, it has been known for retinopathy to clear up. It's not necessarily a one way street to poor sight.

When it comes to our eyes, it is important we look after our diabetes, and keep any blood pressure issues in check, as high blood pressure can also be problematic for our eyes (and other bits).

Don't panic.

In England the letter our GP will recieve would give slightly more detail about the screening findings.

Don't forget, you can always also have a chat with your optician, if you have one.

If the screening service are content to wait a year before seeing you again, things must be minor. Was there much concern you would be seen sooner.

I don't know if you are newly diagnosed, but in any case, if you are able to get your blood sugars into a decent place and keep them there, it has been known for retinopathy to clear up. It's not necessarily a one way street to poor sight.

When it comes to our eyes, it is important we look after our diabetes, and keep any blood pressure issues in check, as high blood pressure can also be problematic for our eyes (and other bits).

Don't panic.

In England the letter our GP will recieve would give slightly more detail about the screening findings.

Don't forget, you can always also have a chat with your optician, if you have one.
I am phoning the screening service tomorrow as they said patients could do so . If they feel its necessary I will speak to my GP but as a matter of course I will book an eye test with my optician .

Thank you

If you have access to your GP notes online you can check there. Mine told me which eye the retinopathy is in. Since the letter says background retinopathy and see you in 12 months though it’s minor.

I am phoning the screening service tomorrow as they said patients could do so . If they feel its necessary I will speak to my GP but as a matter of course I will book an eye test with my optician .

Thank you
Basically what you have is a bog standard letter. There is nothing to worry about. Your optician wont be able to do anything for retinopathy all they do is check your eyes for glasses and any other problems.

If there was any inkling of a problem you would have had a letter telling you an apt is being made to be seen at an eye clinic.
Please turn off the panic mode button.

If you have access to your GP notes online you can check there. Mine told me which eye the retinopathy is in. Since the letter says background retinopathy and see you in 12 months though it’s minor.
Thanks

Basically what you have is a bog standard letter. There is nothing to worry about. Your optician wont be able to do anything for retinopathy all they do is check your eyes for glasses and any other problems.

If there was any inkling of a problem you would have had a letter telling you an apt is being made to be seen at an eye clinic.
As someone new to all this I reserve the right to be in a panic

As someone new to all this I reserve the right to be in a panic
Such a waste of energy when everyone else has told you the same thing 🙂 Joking apart though I suspect the letter told you to maintain good control of blood sugars and BP as it all helps.

Many opticians have the same equipment as the NHS.
Until I moved counties all my testing was done locally by opticians, and the screening sent to the NHS for their analysis after we looked at them.

Personally, it's a lot better than now, where only the NHS carry it out, and only they look at it.

However, my local optician has a laser Option Monaco eye scanner, which provides actually a better image, and she can spend time going through the images with me.
It is a private service, but personally I think it's worth it for a second opinion.

It's also worth going for an eye test as a matter of course, but waiting until Hba1c settles down as any prescription will be changing.

Many opticians have the same equipment as the NHS.
Until I moved counties all my testing was done locally by opticians, and the screening sent to the NHS for their analysis after we looked at them.

Personally, it's a lot better than now, where only the NHS carry it out, and only they look at it.

However, my local optician has a laser Option Monaco eye scanner, which provides actually a better image, and she can spend time going through the images with me.
It is a private service, but personally I think it's worth it for a second opinion.

It's also worth going for an eye test as a matter of course, but waiting until Hba1c settles down as any prescription will be changing.
Had follow up letter from NHS saying there was very little damage and they would call me in a year

Went to see optician for an eye test and he had access to NHS screening so went through it with me

I am reassured now but to someone new to this it's another worry to deal with and stress you don't need

Had follow up letter from NHS saying there was very little damage and they would call me in a year

Went to see optician for an eye test and he had access to NHS screening so went through it with me

I am reassured now but to someone new to this it's another worry to deal with and stress you don't need

Very true.

But diabetes is a creeping disease, it takes a lot time of high BG to cause any real damage.
So once diagnosed, it does give you a good chance to get on top of it, stop any progression, and start to reverse it.

I got the same letter after the first screening. A year later, after controlling my blood glucose through eating low carb without medication the background retinopathy was gone.

Glad your optician has been able to reassure you 🙂 and fully understand your worry and stress, as someone who is also new to this I have my moments when it all seems a bit too much. Take care

Glad you were reassured eventually Taff - and you certainly aren’t the first to have been profoundly worried and concerned by that letter.

It’s such a shame really, that in their attempts to be transparent and to give clear information about the potential seriousness of a situation that they strike terror into so many people.

When I had the letter first time round it had just the same effect on me. Then I got an all clear a year later. The next time I got the letter, I was more relaxed about it, and know to just keep a close eye(!) on trying to keep my levels as even and in-range as I could.

I’ve had ‘all clears’ ever since.

And some members here have had ‘background’ with no further changes for years and years (decades!)

Glad you were reassured eventually Taff - and you certainly aren’t the first to have been profoundly worried and concerned by that letter.

It’s such a shame really, that in their attempts to be transparent and to give clear information about the potential seriousness of a situation that they strike terror into so many people.

When I had the letter first time round it had just the same effect on me. Then I got an all clear a year later. The next time I got the letter, I was more relaxed about it, and know to just keep a close eye(!) on trying to keep my levels as even and in-range as I could.

I’ve had ‘all clears’ ever since.

And some members here have had ‘background’ with no further changes for years and years (decades!)
Thank you they need to be more joined up !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back