eye test on wednesday, what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceycat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i have an appointment on wednesday to get my eyes checked at the clinic, what happens? do they put drops in your eyes. just abit nervous of not knowing what happens.

The majority of the time they will use eyes drops, although I have had a few appointments where they have not, I suppose it depends on what camera equipment they have.......

You wont be able to drive with drops in as they open your pupils right up in order to get the bests photographs.........so focusing can be a problem....

Your face goes into the machine and your asked to follow a light with each eye, taking photos as you go, its over quite quickly and isnt uncomfortable at all...........the sensitivity to light afterwards can be a bit strange though.....

The majority of the time they will use eyes drops, although I have had a few appointments where they have not, I suppose it depends on what camera equipment they have.......

You wont be able to drive with drops in as they open your pupils right up in order to get the bests photographs.........so focusing can be a problem....

Your face goes into the machine and your asked to follow a light with each eye, taking photos as you go, its over quite quickly and isnt uncomfortable at all...........the sensitivity to light afterwards can be a bit strange though.....

thanks for filling me in novorapidboi, much appreicated 🙂

it reminds me, I think I am due one too.............I had minor background retinpathy the last time, will be interesting to see what effect better control and the blood pressure pills have had...........

i have an appointment on wednesday to get my eyes checked at the clinic, what happens? do they put drops in your eyes. just abit nervous of not knowing what happens.

It's fairly straightforward Tracey, so don't worry. They will normally ask you to do a quick sight test by reading the lines off an optician's chart, then shine a light into your eyes to see if your pupils dilate sufficiently to take the photos without needing the drops - if they don't, they'll put the drops in each eye and make you wait a little while for them to take effect. They might sting a little at first, but this soon fades. Then you have to position your head in the machine so that they can take the photos. It's not uncomfortable. They'll ask you to look towards a point of light and take the photos when there will be a bright flash. They might have to take more than one picture of each eye to make sure they get a good picture (they can see the pictures straight away on a computer screen).

Sometimes they will go through the pictures with you briefly, although mine never have. After that, you won't be able to focus properly and light will be very bright for a few hours - you won't be able to use a computer! Take some sunglasses with you, even if it's not sunny as you may need them, and definitely do not attempt to drive!

Hope all goes well! 🙂

Cant add to whats been said already hun so just wanted to wish you good luck xx

It's fairly straightforward Tracey, so don't worry. They will normally ask you to do a quick sight test by reading the lines off an optician's chart, then shine a light into your eyes to see if your pupils dilate sufficiently to take the photos without needing the drops - if they don't, they'll put the drops in each eye and make you wait a little while for them to take effect. They might sting a little at first, but this soon fades. Then you have to position your head in the machine so that they can take the photos. It's not uncomfortable. They'll ask you to look towards a point of light and take the photos when there will be a bright flash. They might have to take more than one picture of each eye to make sure they get a good picture (they can see the pictures straight away on a computer screen).

Sometimes they will go through the pictures with you briefly, although mine never have. After that, you won't be able to focus properly and light will be very bright for a few hours - you won't be able to use a computer! Take some sunglasses with you, even if it's not sunny as you may need them, and definitely do not attempt to drive!

Hope all goes well! 🙂

thankyou for the advice northener, driving wont be a problem as i dont drive, i walk most places. but ill bring the sunglasses for sure.

thankyou for the advice northener, driving wont be a problem as i dont drive, i walk most places. but ill bring the sunglasses for sure.

No problems Tracey. If you don't have the drops you might not need the sunnies, but best to have them with you just in case! 🙂

The other test they usually do is to test the pressure for glaucoma - they use a machine to "fire" a puff of air into your eye - it doesn't hurt- just makes you jump! Good luck - better thana dentist visit - no injections involved😉

The other test they usually do is to test the pressure for glaucoma - they use a machine to "fire" a puff of air into your eye - it doesn't hurt- just makes you jump! Good luck - better thana dentist visit - no injections involved😉

I only get that done when I go for my normal optician eyetest - why can't they just have a checklist so we all get the same? 🙄

Nothing to worry about at all ,,,,, I also have my feet checked at same time ,,,
🙂

Nothing to worry about at all ,,,,, I also have my feet checked at same time ,,,
🙂

I get all tests done at the same time- eye ones I mean not a complete body MOT (I wish!). Is this different for T1's then? Sorry to highjack your post Tracey😉

I get all tests done at the same time- eye ones I mean not a complete body MOT (I wish!). Is this different for T1's then? Sorry to highjack your post Tracey😉

hey dont apoliozise, its good that others can learn from other peoples questions, its how we learn about everything. ive learned alot from here by reading others posts.

Hope it went ok tracey. When I had mine done, about 2 months ago, my pupils went huge. So big I took a photo to show everyone.
Massivepupils.jpg

I definitely needed the sunglasses and it was a very cloudy day. I found my short sight went blurry for a good 3-4 hours as well. This thread has reminded me to ring for my results as I haven't got them back. I'm sure they said I'd get them in a few weeks, could be wrong :confused: How quick have other people got theirs back?

Hope it went ok tracey. When I had mine done, about 2 months ago, my pupils went huge. So big I took a photo to show everyone.
Massivepupils.jpg

I definitely needed the sunglasses and it was a very cloudy day. I found my short sight went blurry for a good 3-4 hours as well. This thread has reminded me to ring for my results as I haven't got them back. I'm sure they said I'd get them in a few weeks, could be wrong :confused: How quick have other people got theirs back?

wow there massive huh, gosh 2 months and you aint heard a dickee bird thats ages, most get told 4 weeks but i had my results within a fortnight.

That's HUGE! :D For me, they say that if I don't hear anything then everything's OK, although they do send the results to my GP so I can ask her - takes about two weeks. Unfortunately last time I did hear from them and have to go to the eye hospital next week :(

Im the same, if you dont hear everything it is fine or stable.........however I did not recieve a letter telling me abnout the changes I had, I was only told by the consultant at the clinic visit because together with slightly elevated blood pressure the risk of further leaking goes up...........:(.

Hmm when I go pick up my prescription tomorrow I think I'll ask if they've been forwarded to my GP. I'm hoping they have and that everything is fine, but want it confirming then I can forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back