Eye test concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the impression that once you were in the system then checks were sent automatically even if you were below the actual diabetic threshold diagnostic level. Ever since a pre diabetic diagnosis I have been sent annual retinal screening except during Covid when I was told as the previous one was normal then it would be 2 years but then it went back to 1 year even though normal.
I suspect it varies depending on where you live. Even though I live in Coventry the screening service is by Worcestershire.

I notice you say two years?
My local health authority check mine annually.
I have a free eye test at my local opticians and they also have a laser scanner.
I pay privately, (it's not expensive) but time it inbetween the health authority tests, so I get checked every six months.
Yes 2 years is the normal time between checks as I'm not diabetic. It's the first time I was offered the eye scanner. My next eye test I will make for 1 year

I notice you say two years?
My local health authority check mine annually.
I have a free eye test at my local opticians and they also have a laser scanner.
I pay privately, (it's not expensive) but time it inbetween the health authority tests, so I get checked every six months.
I paid £25 for the scanner

That sounds sensible. If you were over the diabetes threshold you’d get an annual eye screening appointment - but many opticians now offer eye-health checkups as an extra which may ease your worries.

Like many other members of the forum I’ve had some background changes which have come and gone over the years. I’ve been ‘all clear’ for quite a few years now.

Hope that if they end up offering you BP meds after your monitoring, they can help stabilise and reduce your raised BP. That can really help eye health, along with keeping your blood glucose levels in the recommeded range.

Hope the follow-up appointments go well.

Oh and try not to worry about the statin. I didn’t accept the offer of one for years, but went on a low dose last year and my cholesterol levels / splits have now all slotted into their recommended places, with no side effects at all.
Oh that's good to know about statins. I've never had a problem with my BP it was always around 120 over 80 so this is a surprise. At my GP appointment yesterday it was 147 over 93 I think! They took it twice but I felt extremely stressed and knew a blood test was coming which I detest too!

Oh that's good to know about statins. I've never had a problem with my BP it was always around 120 over 80 so this is a surprise. At my GP appointment yesterday it was 147 over 93 I think! They took it twice but I felt extremely stressed and knew a blood test was coming which I detest too!

Some people get ‘white coat syndrome’ when they know their BP is about to be measured.

You can get home meters (ones with a cuff are better). alternatively your GP may suggest a 24hr monitor?

Some people get ‘white coat syndrome’ when they know their BP is about to be measured.

You can get home meters (ones with a cuff are better). alternatively your GP may suggest a 24hr monitor?
It's funny you should say that. My BP monitor has arrived and I have to take twice a day for 7 days. At the Dr's it was 147 over 93. Today using the same model they used in surgery (,gp told me to get this one) it was 127 over 87! Which is much more what I usually am

It's funny you should say that. My BP monitor has arrived and I have to take twice a day for 7 days. At the Dr's it was 147 over 93. Today using the same model they used in surgery (,gp told me to get this one) it was 127 over 87! Which is much more what I usually am

I can nail mine down in the surgery.
Just think "chilling on the beach", and I can drop it after running there!
(Running - well old bloke being passed by pushchairs!)

I can nail mine down in the surgery.
Just think "chilling on the beach", and I can drop it after running there!
(Running - well old bloke being passed by pushchairs!)

I learned a relaxation technique last year that seems pretty effective.

When breathing fairly slowly, count the in-breath to, say, 4. And ensure that the out-breath is at least half as long again so 6 or 8. But without pushing it or feeling uncomfortable.

Apparently from the first of these extended out-breaths your brain is triggered to go into relaxation mode.

I learned a relaxation technique last year that seems pretty effective.

When breathing fairly slowly, count the in-breath to, say, 4. And ensure that the out-breath is at least half as long again so 6 or 8. But without pushing it or feeling uncomfortable.

Apparently from the first of these extended out-breaths your brain is triggered to go into relaxation mode.

That's a Tai chi sort of thing.
Slo mo.
It's one I use at my exercise classes, it's actually harder work to focus on full on stretches, full reaches, and breathing, then to simply bounce from ins and outs.
That's also a good tip for getting off to sleep, and pushing back the things that worry you awake.
I shall be trying that 🙂

I employ the big breath in and then out something like a long sigh whilst anyone medical is taking my BP, and I can actually feel my shoulders relaxing pretty much instantly. (It is a technique that was first suggested to me by a middle aged nurse at the family planning clinic in Kidderminster just after I was first married to stop myself resisting 'intimate' medical examinations - and it's always worked a treat for both)

That's a Tai chi sort of thing.
Slo mo.

Also commonly used as a technique in mindfulness / meditation (or prayer)

Lots of these things overlap I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back