Eye test concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfate

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I've just had my eye test and had a photo and scan which shows I have had a bleed at the back of my right eye. I had told her I have been diagnosed with prediabetes. She said it could have caused this. I'm very worried

I had my 2 year regular eye test today. Optician said there was a bleed in my right eye. She thinks it may be my prediabetes??possibly a sugar spike. I've just managed to lower my hba1c from 44 to 41 and was happy.
I have just had a 2 week holiday,3 days in New York which meant earing lots of carbs and 10 days cruise. I'm very worried now and am seeing my GP tomorrow. I didn't know that this could happen with prediabetes. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

if your blood glucose is well managed it could be unrelated to that. A friend had a bleed in her eye and the doc found she had high blood pressure which he said was the cause.
Just see what they say and make sure you get a follow up if needed.

if your blood glucose is well managed it could be unrelated to that. A friend had a bleed in her eye and the doc found she had high blood pressure which he said was the cause.
Just see what they say and make sure you get a follow up if needed.
Thank you for your reply. My blood pressure is usually fine, never been an issue. The optician thinks looking at the scan that it is unlikely high blood pressure more likely glucose levels. I'm waiting for a call from my GP. My concern is how do I prevent this happening again. Would medication now be needed to lower sugar levels more. Trying not to worry but I am.....

Thank you for your reply. My blood pressure is usually fine, never been an issue. The optician thinks looking at the scan that it is unlikely high blood pressure more likely glucose levels. I'm waiting for a call from my GP. My concern is how do I prevent this happening again. Would medication now be needed to lower sugar levels more. Trying not to worry but I am.....
I'd doubt it is due to your prediabetes - your HbA1c numbers indicate your levels are under good control, and is is generally the sharp ups and downs that can cause problems rather than an elevated, but relatively steady control. I'd just carry on as you are and it's more than likely that the issue will resolve itself with no problems 🙂

I know it can be a concern though, especially when you are relatively new to everything.

I'd doubt it is due to your prediabetes - your HbA1c numbers indicate your levels are under good control, and is is generally the sharp ups and downs that can cause problems rather than an elevated, but relatively steady control. I'd just carry on as you are and it's more than likely that the issue will resolve itself with no problems 🙂

I know it can be a concern though, especially when you are relatively new to everything.
Thank you for your reply

I have seen a GP and she doesn't think its to do with prediabetes as she showed me a graph of how my readings have gone right down and the highest was 44. I do have high cholesterol (for years it's about 7) and my blood pressure was higher than they would like. So I have to daily blood pressure readings for a week and submit results. She said because of my family history, my dad died aged 62 heart attack, mum has had 2 stents after heart attacks,maternal grandfather died of a heart attack and maternal grandma a stroke. The eye issue could be a warning to check things out.

Sulfate, a couple of years ago I had a diabetic eye screening that showed a little change in one eye, despite having been in well into remission for a number of years straight.

I am fortunate to have a friend married to an opthalmic surgeon, who does a lot of work with the impacts of diabetes. Needless to say, I had quite a chat with him.

Not being a patient of his he wasn't looking at my records, but was keen to reassure me that not all changes or bleeds relate to diabetes, or even a health matter, per se. He likened a minor bleed to a bruise. It could be caused by an incident, the heal over, never to surface again.

He suggested I see my optician (whom he also uses) to let him have a good look. He couldn't find anything, which sort of ties in with my chum's comments.

So, don't panic. If you have prediabetes, take an steps you can to ensure it doesn't develop further, but keep an eye on blood pressure, lifting heavy weights, or exercising to collapse - all things likely to raise BP significantly, if briefly.

I wrote this much earlier, but the forum wouldn't let me post it.

Glad you've seen your GP and have a way forwards. These things are unsettling.

Sulfate, a couple of years ago I had a diabetic eye screening that showed a little change in one eye, despite having been in well into remission for a number of years straight.

I am fortunate to have a friend married to an opthalmic surgeon, who does a lot of work with the impacts of diabetes. Needless to say, I had quite a chat with him.

Not being a patient of his he wasn't looking at my records, but was keen to reassure me that not all changes or bleeds relate to diabetes, or even a health matter, per se. He likened a minor bleed to a bruise. It could be caused by an incident, the heal over, never to surface again.

He suggested I see my optician (whom he also uses) to let him have a good look. He couldn't find anything, which sort of ties in with my chum's comments.

So, don't panic. If you have prediabetes, take an steps you can to ensure it doesn't develop further, but keep an eye on blood pressure, lifting heavy weights, or exercising to collapse - all things likely to raise BP significantly, if briefly.

I wrote this much earlier, but the forum wouldn't let me post it.

Glad you've seen your GP and have a way forwards. These things are unsettling.
Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I was so worried last night and earlier today. I feel a bit better. I really don't want to go on statins and hope BP is going to be OK. Last night I felt so disheartened when optician said it could be sugar levels, as I've tried so hard to get it down from hba1c 44 to 41!

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I was so worried last night and earlier today. I feel a bit better. I really don't want to go on statins and hope BP is going to be OK. Last night I felt so disheartened when optician said it could be sugar levels, as I've tried so hard to get it down from hba1c 44 to 41!

What is your cholesterol level, you mention statins?

What is your cholesterol level, you mention statins?
Last blood test it was 7 but my cardio risk is less than 10(4.9%) so my GP didn't think I need them yet,that was a couple of years ago, as the small dose he would prescribe wouldn't make much difference....

Last blood test it was 7 but my cardio risk is less than 10(4.9%) so my GP didn't think I need them yet,that was a couple of years ago, as the small dose he would prescribe wouldn't make much difference....
It's not just cardio, high cholesterol can cause issues with any blood vessels.

Just cardiac events are more noticeable.

It's not just cardio, high cholesterol can cause issues with any blood vessels.

Just cardiac events are more noticeable.
Oh OK I didn't know that

Your blood pressure is likely up a bit with all that's going on.

If it stays up, on your random testing, it might be worth trying a 24hr monitor, if your GP has the facility. It's a pest to wear and sleep in, but it certainly tracks you through the 24 hours, just in case you are having high periods.

Your blood pressure is likely up a bit with all that's going on.

If it stays up, on your random testing, it might be worth trying a 24hr monitor, if your GP has the facility. It's a pest to wear and sleep in, but it certainly tracks you through the 24 hours, just in case you are having high periods.
Thank you. It's arriving tomorrow so I'll see how it goes!

Oh OK I didn't know that

Yes, cholesterol causes plaque.
Plaque build up can lead to blockages.
Build up in arteries is the main concern, other blood vessels normally have multiple redundancy, so blocking a small vessel won't really cause any issue.
But it can still happen.
Especially if there is high blood pressure behind it as @AndBreathe suggests.

I've just had my eye test and had a photo and scan which shows I have had a bleed at the back of my right eye. I had told her I have been diagnosed with prediabetes. She said it could have caused this. I'm very worried
Did she say when you should get checked again? I had background retinopathy (a small bleed visible on the photo) at my first diabetic review despite being only just into the diabetic level of HbA1c, but the letter with the results said for recheck in a year (the standard time) and people who have been here longer reassured me that meant that they weren't concerned, and it may even clear up completely before next year

Did she say when you should get checked again? I had background retinopathy (a small bleed visible on the photo) at my first diabetic review despite being only just into the diabetic level of HbA1c, but the letter with the results said for recheck in a year (the standard time) and people who have been here longer reassured me that meant that they weren't concerned, and it may even clear up completely before next year
No I haven't been told about a recheck. She did say it was like a bruise and it will go but we just need to check any underlying health issues. She did advise to have an eye scan each time I have an eye test.

I notice you say two years?
My local health authority check mine annually.
I have a free eye test at my local opticians and they also have a laser scanner.
I pay privately, (it's not expensive) but time it inbetween the health authority tests, so I get checked every six months.

No I haven't been told about a recheck. She did say it was like a bruise and it will go but we just need to check any underlying health issues. She did advise to have an eye scan each time I have an eye test.

That sounds sensible. If you were over the diabetes threshold you’d get an annual eye screening appointment - but many opticians now offer eye-health checkups as an extra which may ease your worries.

Like many other members of the forum I’ve had some background changes which have come and gone over the years. I’ve been ‘all clear’ for quite a few years now.

Hope that if they end up offering you BP meds after your monitoring, they can help stabilise and reduce your raised BP. That can really help eye health, along with keeping your blood glucose levels in the recommeded range.

Hope the follow-up appointments go well.

Oh and try not to worry about the statin. I didn’t accept the offer of one for years, but went on a low dose last year and my cholesterol levels / splits have now all slotted into their recommended places, with no side effects at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back