Eye issues

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Over the last few days I’ve noticed some flashing in the corner of my eye. I’ve been for an emergency optician appointment today and he said the gel inside my eye is starting to shrink and it’s pulling on the retina slightly which is causing the flashing. He’s also found a slight bleed which he’s speaking to the hospital about to see if they want to laser it as there’s a history of retinal detachment in my family.
Im really upset about it all
I read that lowering your HbA1c too quickly can cause issues and I wondering if this could be one of them?
or if anyone’s had any experience with this at all?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You only state two hba1c's, have you had another since August last year? When they say lowering hba1c too quickly I wouldn't presume a drop of less than 20mmol as a massive drop, they generally mean more of a plummet

Take me for instance, I was diagnosed with diabetic macular oedema less than a month into my Type 1 diagnosis, the ophthalmologist and diabetes consultant both say I was unlucky and a sudden drop in hba1c "could" be a factor of it but I went from 101 to my next being in the low 30's, even though I've had quite good control I needed a good few rounds of injections and at a check up less than 2 years into diabetes I was diagnosed with proliferative retinopathy that required lasering, while it could be linked it could just be one of those things and like me unlucky
xx

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for replying. Wow you sound like you’ve really had a tough time with your eyes, I hope they are ok now?
They are the only 2 hba1cs I’ve had I was due another in March but with covid going on they aren’t doing them at the moment.
I just feel really annoyed I’ve worked so hard last year to get my diabetes under control and now I’m this has happened, which I’m guessing is probably how you felt with everything?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I sure hope they are but my 6 monthly check up for last month was cancelled :( I didn't want to go anyway but not knowing is destroying me

Yes I'm not bad mouthing anyone here but it's destroying that you do everything right, follow a good balanced diet, give up smoking and drinking and get dealt those blows yet you see people who don't look after themselves, drink like a fish, eat whatever they want and have no problems

I wasn't annoyed, more upset that I'd tried but felt because of this it had all been for nothing or I hadn't tried hard enough
xx

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pete was due an oncology appointment a couple of weeks ago and the consultant's secretary rang to ask if he was OK doing it by phone to which he readily agreed but asked 'What about the blood test I need?' - it's Prostate Cancer so unless you have a PSA test nobody has a clue how well or badly you are doing - and no home testing possible. Sec gave him phone no's of two phlebotomists who regularly visit people to take blood at home so lady came here and did the deed we did have to pay though £11, which I thought was pretty good value all in all. It was delivered to and tested by usual hospital, result with oncologist by next morning.

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was very wary bout going to the optician yesterday with everything going on but he said it was absolutely the right thing to do and there was lots of precautions in place. I’m a little worried about going to the hospital in the week (if they ask me to) but I’m trying to be rational, I’ve got 2 friends who have had babies in the last 2 weeks they went to the hospital and were fine. There’s people who live near me who work on the wards with covid patients and they are fine I’ve probably got more chance of catching it going into the shop behind one of them than I have going to a completely different part of the hospital.
I really hope things start to settle soon and our able to go to your appointment.

move never heard of having a blood test done at home what a great idea for people who are unable to get to the drs. Im not sure if they do it in this area I’ll have to check!

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don't think I'll be going for a while, I was told that a rescheduled appointment could be up to 6 months away but I haven't even left the house in 10 weeks, my anxiety, OCD and lack of following guidelines by the rest of the scheme has just taken over and gotten the better of me, plus I need someone to take me generally as they persist in giving me appointments for 9am when there aren't any buses to get me there for that time and if they do give me a later appointment I still need someone with me as even with someone I managed to fall down the stairs on the bus once (before anyone thinks of saying don't go up the stairs then there is no option but up steps on that particular bus) xx

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve had an appointment come through from the hospital today for the end of June, apparently it’s an urgent referral, not too sure how I feel about it to be honest.
I should be relieved they are going to check it out but I can’t pretend I’m not super anxious about it as I was just beginning to forget about it an assumed because I’d not heard anything in a couple of weeks all was ok

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had an appointment come through from the hospital today for the end of June, apparently it’s an urgent referral, not too sure how I feel about it to be honest.
I should be relieved they are going to check it out but I can’t pretend I’m not super anxious about it as I was just beginning to forget about it an assumed because I’d not heard anything in a couple of weeks all was ok
I know how your feeling, I've felt and still feel that way every time I attend the eye department but its better to get seen to as soon as you can as if you need treatment it can be done sooner rather than later meaning hopefully any further deterioration is reduced, just try and stay positive and look on the bright side, things will get better whereas if you weren't getting seen things might get worse, I don't know if that's coming across the way I'm meaning it to but I assure you I'm meaning it in the nicest way possible xx

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for replying. I know what you mean I’m best getting it looked at and sorted now Instead of leaving it and it causing me more problems. The thought of them maybe wanting to do laser surgery is scary my dads promised me it’s absolutely fine and it will be over really quick but I’m not sure he would tell me if it was awful in case it put me off going!

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for replying. I know what you mean I’m best getting it looked at and sorted now Instead of leaving it and it causing me more problems. The thought of them maybe wanting to do laser surgery is scary my dads promised me it’s absolutely fine and it will be over really quick but I’m not sure he would tell me if it was awful in case it put me off going!
it isn't awful, it can be a bit nippy if they catch a nerve as they cant see them but it only lasts a second, if you do require lasering and can take paracetamol do so before your session, the doctor that did mine insisted I take paracetamol there and then before she did it, I had both eyes done in half an hour xx

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
it isn't awful, it can be a bit nippy if they catch a nerve as they cant see them but it only lasts a second, if you do require lasering and can take paracetamol do so before your session, the doctor that did mine insisted I take paracetamol there and then before she did it, I had both eyes done in half an hour xx
That’s brilliant advice thank you my appointment is first thing so I’ll make sure I take a couple with breakfast

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That’s brilliant advice thank you my appointment is first thing so I’ll make sure I take a couple with breakfast
If the appointment isn't specifically for lasering at the end of the month then I don't think they'll do it that day, you generally have to wait to get another appointment through for the lasering xx

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Everything crossed for your appointment @bakebeans

Anxiety around appointments like these is perfectly natural, but i really hope it goes smoothly for you and provides an effective way forward.

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Back home now after my appointment today. The good news is the surgeon doesn’t recommend any treatment. I have a small hole in my retina and can have laser treatment if I want but that will put me at a disadvantage in the future if I develop a retinal detachment.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good to hear from you @bakebeans
Pleased that they don’t feel you need any treatment at present.

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies I’m very relieved about it all I was worried it was caused by my diabetes but he said that my eyes are healthy and showing no signs of diabetes related issues. He was also very surprised that type 2s aren’t told to test at home but said he totally understood why I do, was nice to feel some support over testing at home.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So glad you don't have to have anything done. I read the thread with toes curled. Anything with eyes is agh.