Experience with Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am someone who has taken statins for a number of years, as I had very high cholesterol at diagnosis. I have not noticed that I have and aches or pains, or fuzzy headedness. I expect to get a bit aches as I get older and I do what I can using walking and Pilates to keep things moving. As for various Side of elects I feel for me that having got my cholesterol down below 5 now I think I shall stick with the statins.

And equally it seems to me that you have to tread carefully when a gross over simplification of something is described as fake news.

The idea of taking an issue, simplifying it and then reporting it in an exaggerated fashion used to be confined to the printed press because it was a recognised way to sell newspapers and so bring in advertising revenue. With the growth in "social media" the simplify and exaggerate motif is everywhere you look. There is an element of truth in all that is said, but it is always far from the whole truth. I see a parallel with the used car salesman who will talk at great length about the colour of a car whilst ignoring the clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust.

So it is with the issues around cholesterol. Me, I've kept out of these discussions because the only thing I know about it is that I don't know enough about the ins and outs to make any useful contribution. One day I might spend some time to try and get to grips with all the issues and try and figure it out. Can't help but think that it should be possible to sort out a few broad principles with could used with appropriate caution. Until then I might ask questions but will refrain from comment because anything I might say is unlikely to be helpful.

Also, I don't think you should not be too rude about pharmaceutical companies. They are full of people like you and me and if you are rude about the company you are effectively saying that the staff are unthinking, money grabbing and irresponsible. Used to work in the Nuclear industry and the one thing the really irritated me was when a few unqualified people made a lot of critical noise about what I was doing. Apart from the fact that most of what was said was wrong, it implied that I, and the highly talented people I worked with, were stupid. We weren't.
The Fake News about cholesterol usually takes the form of Fake Science.

Not being able to get inside our own bodies and simultaneously check every single bodily function none of us has the ability to check how anything might affect us - and neither does anyone else on earth notwithstanding how many letters after their names they might happen to have. All we can do is observe how whatever affects our own bodies and report on that - hence discussions such as this are always anecdotal rather than statements of proven facts.

Suffice it to say that I am not prepared to risk my sanity again - I was very near to ending it all any number of times until the lovely people I met on DI literally saved my life.

I don’t think it can be right that TC below 4 causes harm, because that is the target TC level for people with diabetes - and there would have been an extensive search of the published literature to define that level, which would have reported adverse events.

My thinking also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back