Evenings are my total downfall!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenniw1990

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, hope your all okay!

I am 32 yrs old, female type 2 (from Gestational) 4 years ago!

I am on medication and insulin (18units per day) through the day I am pretty good at control and motivation. It's the evenings that are killing me, all I think about is food and not the healthy choices! I tend to eat between 7pm-9.30pm due to putting my little boy to bed and my partner working late. I know it's bad for me but I still do it, now it's Christmas time it's ten times worse!!! I see a diabetes psychologist and I talk about this with him but I can't seem to help myself !
Anyone else feel similar or do this, I know its self sabotage and in my right mind I know how to stop doing it or at least the ways on which would help me. Please help it's really stressing me out!

I was type 2.
I didn't do it consciously, but I found I could go all day, but come the evening, once I started eating the flood gates opened.
I got over it by planning my day, making an effort to eat breakfast, a planned mid morning snack, lunch, snack, dinner.
If I had a plan, I had something to look forward to, and it wasn't so as hoc.
The routine still continues to this day.

I can relate, no children but when hubby works lates it is my undoing so I have to carefully plan my meals or my pancreatitis flares up, I used a planner for his late shifts to try and stay on plan.

Can you do something to distract yourself from eating too much in the evenings? I appreciate you've got caring responsibilities, so that limits what you can do, but can you take up a hobby which will take your mind off snacks? I'm thinking; learning a language (duolingo, youtube videos, language CDs), doing exercises/yoga, knitting/making clothes, juggling, reading, playing tetris, doing the ironing etc. Whatever you can do that takes your mind off the lure of the fridge.
Sarah

It is difficult when you are juggling many things but having meals prepared in advance so maybe batch cook so you have something in the freezer ready.
It sounds as if your insulin regime may not be the most suitable if it is just basal insulin as that does not then allow you the flexibility of a bolus insulin with food which would enable to eat more or less a normal diet.
Have you had any guidance on the amount of carbs you can have for the insulin you are having?
If the evening is an issue then have some low carb snacks, like nuts, veg sticks or similar to keep you going before your meal.

Sorry you are having a tough time with evening nibbles @Jenniw1990 Its so easy to develop those habitual eating habits, and then you end up getting hungry at the same time each day :(

What are you considering ‘not the healthy choices’? And what are the problems you are trying to avoid? Weight gain? Carbs? Sugariness? Something else?

In answer to some of the questions I am on humili I and I take 18 units in a morning, alongside, metformin 2 tabs(in a morning and 2 in the evening) empagliflozin (1 in a morning) ramipril (1 in morning) calcium tablet (2 per day) Vitamin B12 (1 per day)

The bad foods are chocolates, sweets, bread (basically anything I can get my hands on)

I don't want to gain weight, I want to reduce my BS as I know my sugars are high in a morning even before testing because I have woken up in the night thirsty and then it's uncomfortable downstairs (if you get my meaning)

I have tried hobbies and they only last so long unfortunately, I would be quite happy to go out for walks after having my tea but again that depends if my partner is around to look after my son, and sometimes by the time he finishes work it's too late to go wandering the streets lol I know these are all excuses but it's relentless trying to keep on top of everything and do it to a good standard

In answer to some of the questions I am on humili I and I take 18 units in a morning, alongside, metformin 2 tabs(in a morning and 2 in the evening) empagliflozin (1 in a morning) ramipril (1 in morning) calcium tablet (2 per day) Vitamin B12 (1 per day)

The bad foods are chocolates, sweets, bread (basically anything I can get my hands on)

I don't want to gain weight, I want to reduce my BS as I know my sugars are high in a morning even before testing because I have woken up in the night thirsty and then it's uncomfortable downstairs (if you get my meaning)

I have tried hobbies and they only last so long unfortunately, I would be quite happy to go out for walks after having my tea but again that depends if my partner is around to look after my son, and sometimes by the time he finishes work it's too late to go wandering the streets lol I know these are all excuses but it's relentless trying to keep on top of everything and do it to a good standard
The empagliflozin I believe is a medication which encourages the kidneys to excrete excess glucose via urine which is why it can cause thrush infection because the yeast that causes that infection just loves a sugary environment. It suggests that people should drink 3 litres a day but also medication for the thrush (Canestan) can be obtained from the pharmacy which may alleviate your discomfort.

You could try baking some low carb cakes and biscuits from recipes on the website sugarfreelondoner which your son could join in making.
Chocolate if dark and had in moderation is not too bad, Aldi do some good ones.
With all those different medications you may be better asking for a basal /bolus insulin regime to better manage your glucose levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back