equality act - important changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your quite right, but I think lots of prospective employees had assumed that they had to disclose their condition from the start and this obviously would have put them in a less favourable position than others. Now it just gives people the 'permission' not to disclose it and is clearer than before.

Other changes that might effect parents on here are that within the school area, making 'reasonable adjustments' to encompass looking after a diabetic child can now include any 'auxillary help' required (i.e. school providing a 1;1 for a particular purpose) - and also people who run after school actitivites are also now covered by the EA and have to abide by the rules of making 'reasonable adjustment' to make sure a child is safe.

Carers who work are also now covered in the 'discrimination by association' - where an employee cant refuse time off to look after a diabetic/disabled child as this would be deemed to be discrimination.

There are other changes but its such a long document its hard to find the relevant parts - but I would urge everyone to have a read as this superceeds the DDA and has made things a lot clearer.🙂Bev
hi under theDDA i have already the power to leave work unpaidif you have a disable child and you are responsable until is 18 at least this what my contract says

David, you will always care.🙂Bev

Bev,

I was referring more to the missing chunks of legislation! Not, not caring about people.

The real issue here is and will in all honesty probably always be the fact that employers can find an excuse or reason not to employ someone, so long as they don't discuss this or write it down, merely say 'I don't think they will fit in...' is essentially incontestable in court.

The EA 2010 is interesting from a disability perspective, the only problems are: it's less than 10% of the total EA; with the advent of the EQ 2010, perhaps 10% of the population aren't covered in one way or the other by the act; therefore do we have a powerful piece of legislation for some people who really need it and a piece of legislation that gives others disproportionate powers of equality that they perhaps do not need?

Of course we need to be very careful in these areas and this could be a very sharp piece of law if left in the wrong hands to set the wrong precedents of case law.

That is as Politically Correct as I feel like being with a cold on a Sunday morning, so I'll sign off here.

D

I have always told my employers , especially as i work with children , and suffer with hypo unawareness , by being open they ahve been fair and allow me to go aside and check my blood sugars regulary so touch wood so fer allow my blood has dipped i havent got low enough to collapse in front of the children as i think this was be especially upsetting to the children as they and 3-4 years old .Also about 5 years ago my hubby worked for someone and didnt disclose his crohns disease then had some time off and they laid him off because he hadnt disclosed this

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back