Ensuring silence with dexcom g6

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are only a handful of alerts that can’t be silenced on iOS. Most of them can be silenced except urgent low, transmitter fail, and sensor fail.

And tbh I would WANT to know if I was dropping to 3.1 and an earlier treatment hadn’t worked when I’d felt the early tingles.

View attachment 28790
Sorry I thought I said spefucyed the urgent low alerm but it appears I didn't but yes u would probably want to know too I can understand that safety feature.

There are only a handful of alerts that can’t be silenced on iOS. Most of them can be silenced except urgent low, transmitter fail, and sensor fail.

And tbh I would WANT to know if I was dropping to 3.1 and an earlier treatment hadn’t worked when I’d felt the early tingles.

View attachment 28790
Yes, in principle of course I would also normally want to know I'd reached 3.1. I'm slightly indoctrinated by my less satisfactory experiences with Libre 2 when that could show 3+ mmol/L high in the morning and 3 or 4 low later in the day, so no displayed extreme readings could be taken at face value. Now, I find my G7 thoroughly accurate and I have to remind myself sometimes that I can trust my CGM. However it isn't always necessary to alarm at full volume, even for 3.1: I could be in the middle of a 15gm glucose boost fully aware of my status and not needing extra pressure from a screaming phone. Also everyone else hears an errant phone and I chose to not wear a tall hat saying "I have a disability you can't see so please excuse my medical alarm!"

This all started for me when I went to my grandson's concert, before Xmas, with his parents and despite having (I thought) muted my android phone and turned the volume controls to nil an alarm still happened and I became the centre of attention. There was an unnecessary curt remark from my son-in-law and that (with subsequent conversations) led into my realising that despite my wife and I house sharing with them since August he still didn't understand that Diabetes can be downright disruptive / frustrating and I didn't delibetately cause my own disruptions to the family timetable. Now I'm old enough and big enough to manage that on my own, but doesn't change the sense of frustration in realising that he still doesn't "get it" and of course my daughter gets caught in the middle of the resultant stress, wanting to be loyal to her husband and also to support me.

Anyway, now I've found the hidden option of up to 6hrs full mute (hidden behind a screen saying this can't be silenced!) (it didn't occur to me to try further) this matter is now back within my control. At the time of heated discussion with my son-in-law who works in IT tech and has a state of the art android phone, I passed him my phone and said please show me how I can disable what the Dex app says can't be disabled; he didn't find the hidden option. His view then was that I should have turned the phone off and foregone the CGM display on my watch from my phone.

i suppose at the end of the day its better to distub someone slighllty by the noise of alerm then to find yourlsef passing out because you didn't know . epically in places that can get hot.*i'm not a big fan of distubimh people either i do sometimes think that my recviver beeping might sound like a phone going off but its good to know)

No @nonethewiser and Dexcom were careful to not admit anything in writing despite some observations in a phone call. I did get 2 extra sensors for my trouble and a free Reader (c. £250 retail) to protect me when I next travel against something that apparently can't happen after Dexcom's original exhaustive tests.none

On New Year's Day my app froze again while in UK with the following message. NB this is one reason why it would be helpful to be able to take screenshots! From here the app was frozen and only Reset App was possible. Existing data is lost to the app and the reinstall took over 15 mins of tedious step by step processes including having to watch various videos that as a longtime user I did not need to see and should not have been made to watch and formally accept.

View attachment 28789

Man that must be so annoying. Do you know if others have had similar issues, I've not but only been using Dexcom for several months.

Man that must be so annoying. Do you know if others have had similar issues, I've not but only been using Dexcom for several months.
Certainly, very annoying. The one mitigation is that when the app isn't misbehaving G7 sensors are extremely accurate for me.

I'm not aware of anyone else using G7 on an android phone. I've also only been using G7 for months. I tried it (self-funding) for a month back in Apr / May, found that instantly better and committed to a quarterly contract.

Saw my Endo in August; mentioned how good G7 was and how I'd no prior sense of how wearisome and stressful it had been having to fp 4 x daily alongside wearing a CGM - just because neither Libre nor Dex One were accurate enough to trust even in mid range. An offer was made to see if I could have G6 or G7 on prescription from the Hospital; G6 was already supported by the Hospital but G7 wasn't at that time. My preference was for G7 since I liked the 10 day all-in-one sensor and transmitter rather than the 90 day transmitter with 10 day sensors for G6, but would take either if that ended self-funding. Heard nothing for a while, made a note to follow-up at end of November and out of the blue in late Nov a Hospital admin letter arrived telling me that my application had been approved and G7 would arrive soon. Which it did and I am extremely grateful to the Endo who'd put my application forward, from a face to face consult (no written paperwork from me) and to the Hospital in Oxford picking this cost up for me formerly in Bucks, now in Berks.

Certainly, very annoying. The one mitigation is that when the app isn't misbehaving G7 sensors are extremely accurate for me.

I'm not aware of anyone else using G7 on an android phone. I've also only been using G7 for months. I tried it (self-funding) for a month back in Apr / May, found that instantly better and committed to a quarterly contract.

Saw my Endo in August; mentioned how good G7 was and how I'd no prior sense of how wearisome and stressful it had been having to fp 4 x daily alongside wearing a CGM - just because neither Libre nor Dex One were accurate enough to trust even in mid range. An offer was made to see if I could have G6 or G7 on prescription from the Hospital; G6 was already supported by the Hospital but G7 wasn't at that time. My preference was for G7 since I liked the 10 day all-in-one sensor and transmitter rather than the 90 day transmitter with 10 day sensors for G6, but would take either if that ended self-funding. Heard nothing for a while, made a note to follow-up at end of November and out of the blue in late Nov a Hospital admin letter arrived telling me that my application had been approved and G7 would arrive soon. Which it did and I am extremely grateful to the Endo who'd put my application forward, from a face to face consult (no written paperwork from me) and to the Hospital in Oxford picking this cost up for me formerly in Bucks, now in Berks.

Very good, I also find Dexcom very accurate, as mentioned not using G7 but G6, another plus over libre is that sensors are very accurate when bg is high or low, last weekend hit 15.4 going by bg reading & sensor read 15.2 which alerted me to double check with bg strip, with libre sensor that reading would have been much higher going from past experience.

Very good, I also find Dexcom very accurate, as mentioned not using G7 but G6, another plus over libre is that sensors are very accurate when bg is high or low, last weekend hit 15.4 going by bg reading & sensor read 15.2 which alerted me to double check with bg strip, with libre sensor that reading would have been much higher going from past experience.
Yes, very much the same Dex accuracy when not in range for me. Also my Libre experience was having poor correlation when high or low - with the additional problem that it could be constantly well above for one sensor, constantly below for another and above when high but below when low (or vice versa) for a 3rd sensor; a 4th sensor could start all high then change part through the 14 daysm. The only thing that I could depend on with Libre was trend arrows.

A small caveat. I find a new G7 sensor takes a few hours to steady up so it's best for me to not calibrate a new sensor for at least 12 hours and usually for me that translates into calibration first thing the next morning, before I've bolused for breakfast and basically while I'm in my steadiest state. Then I try to leave it alone for the remaining 9 days, ie no further recalibration. With no pancy my D is inherently brittle and rapid steep drops or rises are normal. So I think that it is not reasonable to expect a perfect match with FPs when G7 is providing readings every 5 mins while in that 5 mins I could be having a significant change going on. So I will do the occasional comparison over the 10 days (decreasingly few nowadays, unless I'm seemingly and inexplicably stuck in the low 4s, when I will FP a bit more).

I'll often fit the new sensor half a day before it is needed, that alone gives me a steadier real start and the activation process then only needs c. 10 mins after pairing to the new 4 digit code. The majority of my sensors have provided a full 10 day performance, I've only had 3 (or4?) that have ended prematurely and full credit to Dexcom for speedy replacements. Ironically speedy replacement isn't needed, unlike with Libre, since I have a few left from my qtly self-funding and I'm resupplied qtly now from the NHS contract. I've had to reorganise my storage system! Nice problem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back