ENG 1 and Type 1; anyone with help or advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellabrique

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone,

I work as a chef on a private yatch with my partner (who is the skipper) and I have been diagnosed with type 1 in January, while I was renewing with ENG1. Quite lucky in a way since the previous boat was having a refit and I then had 2 months off to get used to my new, well, life. I am doing very well now, I just had a HbA1c result of 42.
We are starting on a new boat soon, and unfortunately the doctor that failed me on my medical in January, telling me not to worry, to get sorted and stable so I could come back and pass, just annunced that I shouldn't bother trying because I would most definitely fail.
I read the MCA doctor manual, which every doctor I have spoken to about an ENG1 just reads back to me. I states that providing I am stable, I can get a restricted certificate that allows me to sail in near coastal UK water only, unless there is a doctor permanently on board.
Since we are meant to sail around, something like the classic Med summer and Caribbean winter, UK waters are a tad of an inconvenience.

I was wondering if anybody would have any advice or personnal experience on the subject.
I understand the risks related to diabetes and sailing and I could do with staying in near coastal water, just not in the UK only...
Also, if my partner, who is permanently on board, has an Advanced Medical Care ticket (which is designed for the “seafarers designated to take charge of medical care on board ship” and have thorough knowledge of how to deal with diabetes related emergencies, this has to be in our favour, no?

The failure to obtain a medical certificate would leave me without a livelyhood. Everyone told me that diabetes would not keep me from doing what I want and having a normal life, so I'm throwing a line out now, please help me! I am going to war on this.
Many thanks.

Unless the diagnosis was confirmed another way - HbA1C of 42mmol/mol is pre-diabetic - not diabetic - you might be able to challenge the need for restriction.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html
I think ellabrique's HbA1c is 42 only because she controls It well with her insulin, Bamba. Unfortunately that won't count as a 'prediabetic' diagnosis.

Edit. Posted this just as you were posting your second.

Hi bamba,
No worries.
Yes, I got diagnosed with type 1 at almost 30...! And my HbA1c was around 130 when they got me!

At the very least evidence of good control - unless they think it skews into domain,

If your partner owns the boat can you not travel as supercargo and leave certification out of it - or is your paid presence part of watchkeeping arrangements ?

Do you need to see the same doctor for the medical?
I'm afraid I don't know anything about ENG1 or the certificaton for sailing, but I do know from experience of diabetes and other conditions that every doctor you see will tell you something completely different from the last one. So unless a particular doctor is being imposed on you by the regulations for the medical, it might be worth getting a second and/or third opinion, and certainly don't give up just because one doctor tells you to.
It sounds as though you are controlling your diabetes well, so I can't see it makes any difference where you are sailing (near the coast) so long as your partner knows how to treat a serious hypo and where the nearest hospital is.

Hi there - sorry, I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but did you ever reach a landing on this? My son was desperate to join the navy, and was diagnosed with Type 1 two years ago - to find out he can't even join the merchant navy is going to be severely disappointing.

Hi there - sorry, I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but did you ever reach a landing on this? My son was desperate to join the navy, and was diagnosed with Type 1 two years ago - to find out he can't even join the merchant navy is going to be severely disappointing.
The original poster has not been seen since 2018, so you may not get a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back