emmasamduke

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanx emma very much i just have a fear ov taking anti depressants,and yes it is wolf-parkinson-white-syndrome. I am really considering taking them though cos need the anxiety 2 go . now i dont know weather only u will see this or evry1 cos i aint got 2 grips properly with how 2 send and reply and who 2 reply 2 but if all can see then thanks 2 all who replied

Hi Andrew - yes, we can all see it! It is a big step to take any kind of medication. Do you know what the name of the medication is? It can sometimes be helpful to try and learn about it so you are prepared for any possible side-effects that people have reported, or perhaps hear from others taking it and how they are doing with it.

oh im 42 and male😱:D. my 1st question is the doctor has told me i dont need 2 have a is it a bllod sugar machine, cos my diabetes is controlled well by metformin is that so .

Just a thought - is it worth you looking at a copy of Balance magazine (that's the one produced by Diabetes UK if you haven't got it yet) where there are always offers of a free blood monitor which you can apply for. They'll give you a lancet thing for finger-pricking and a few test strips for free to get yr custom but then you would have to bully yr Dr into prescribing some (hard job for type 2s sometimes, I understand) or pay for your own if you really want to keep an eye on what your blood levels are doing. Perhaps this would convince yr Dr that you are really serious about keeping yr levels under review.

Nice to have you with us - there's always someone on here to help or just to listen if you want - it really is a great forum.

I begin to think I struck gold with my med team. They handed me the Freestyle Lite right away, showed me what to do with it and then phoned the chemists round the corner to check they could give me what looked like a lifetime's supply of needles and strips. All free.

Hi Andrew - yes, we can all see it! It is a big step to take any kind of medication. Do you know what the name of the medication is? It can sometimes be helpful to try and learn about it so you are prepared for any possible side-effects that people have reported, or perhaps hear from others taking it and how they are doing with it.[/QHi northerner he prescribed me diazapam which i did not take, then mirtazapine which i also did not takei read 2 much in2 the side affects and thought no tnx. They make u feel even worse wen 1st taking them then it takes 3-4 weeks be4 any improvement cant wait 4 weeks sitting like a vegetable waiting 4 any improvement i need 2b aware ov wat im doing tnx northerner 😎

Hi northerner he prescribed me diazapam which i did not take, then mirtazapine which i also did not takei read 2 much in2 the side affects and thought no tnx. They make u feel even worse wen 1st taking them then it takes 3-4 weeks be4 any improvement cant wait 4 weeks sitting like a vegetable waiting 4 any improvement i need 2b aware ov wat im doing tnx northerner 😎

Yes, I can understand that. I was on beta-blockers for a few months after diagnosis and I hated taking them. Perhaps there are some non-drug therapies you can try - relaxation techniques maybe? Tai Chi can be very therapeutic and calming. I don't know enough about the condition to know if it can be treated in this way. I hope you find a solution you are comfortable with, the stress of it all can't be helping.

Yes, I can understand that. I was on beta-blockers for a few months after diagnosis and I hated taking them. Perhaps there are some non-drug therapies you can try - relaxation techniques maybe? Tai Chi can be very therapeutic and calming. I don't know enough about the condition to know if it can be treated in this way. I hope you find a solution you are comfortable with, the stress of it all can't be helping.

your very right northerner the stess ov it all is just 2 much and thanx 4 advice im glad i found this site some1 to talk 2 i hope i can find a solution im sure talking on ere will help alot 🙂

hi andrew here just been local super market and had a breakfast, within 5 mins of eating it i got a feeling of being quite shakey and cant concentrate properly, does any1 else have these feelings so quick after a meal or could it of been another anxiety attack . I have seen people talking on here about some foods giving them a spike but dont understand what means?

Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome?

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/w/wolf_parkinson_white_syndrome/intro.htm

I can't offer any advice Andrew, I'm afraid, as I'm unfamiliar with this. It might be worth trying the medication your doctor suggests and seeing how it goes. I was VERY anti-medication whaen diagnosed (May 2008), but I've since accepted that I need some help to stay in the best possible health I can to help me cope with the diabetes.

Thank you northerner 😉 always good to learn something new!

Hi again Andrew,

Further to your PM, from what I have read on the forum it does seem as though your anxieties may be coming out of your medical problems. I know absolutely nothing about WPWS.

However, I can tell from what little you have said about your diabetes so far that you have no reason to be afraid because you sound to be a well controlled Type 2 and with help from others on this forum then you should be able to improve that control still further. As a Type 2 on metformin only then nothing nasty is likely to happen to you in the short term. Going below 4.0 is technically classed as being too low - i.e. "hypo" but all you need to do in such instances is to take a little bit of something to eat to raise your blood sugar levels a little bit.

As far as avoiding the long term complications that all Type 2s are at risk of you will need to maintain a well-controlled blood glucose level by learning to avoid your levels going too high - i.e. "spiking" approximately one hour after eating. To do that you need to get to understand through testing how much carbohydrate you can eat at a particular time of day - e.g. many Type 2s including me cannot eat very much carbohydrate in a morning at breakfast and because of that I usually eat a grilled or fried in olive or rape-seed oil breakfast.

The food type that you ought to be wary of are the starchy carbohydrates such as cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta etc. Most Type 2s get a big improvement by cutting back on those - e.g. I have cut out nearly all - but not all - cereal and bread out of my diet.

Testing will soon tell you what are the problem foods that you need to be careful with - especially if you test one hour and two hours after you have finished eating a particular food or a major meal.

Just take things slowly and make little changes at a time.

Best wishes - John

Hi again Andrew,

Further to your PM, from what I have read on the forum it does seem as though your anxieties may be coming out of your medical problems. I know absolutely nothing about WPWS.

However, I can tell from what little you have said about your diabetes so far that you have no reason to be afraid because you sound to be a well controlled Type 2 and with help from others on this forum then you should be able to improve that control still further. As a Type 2 on metformin only then nothing nasty is likely to happen to you in the short term. Going below 4.0 is technically classed as being too low - i.e. "hypo" but all you need to do in such instances is to take a little bit of something to eat to raise your blood sugar levels a little bit.

As far as avoiding the long term complications that all Type 2s are at risk of you will need to maintain a well-controlled blood glucose level by learning to avoid your levels going too high - i.e. "spiking" approximately one hour after eating. To do that you need to get to understand through testing how much carbohydrate you can eat at a particular time of day - e.g. many Type 2s including me cannot eat very much carbohydrate in a morning at breakfast and because of that I usually eat a grilled or fried in olive or rape-seed oil breakfast.

The food type that you ought to be wary of are the starchy carbohydrates such as cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta etc. Most Type 2s get a big improvement by cutting back on those - e.g. I have cut out nearly all - but not all - cereal and bread out of my diet.

Testing will soon tell you what are the problem foods that you need to be careful with - especially if you test one hour and two hours after you have finished eating a particular food or a major meal.

Just take things slowly and make little changes at a time.

Best wishes - John

HI John ty 4 ur replies getting more confused now because wen diagnosed with diabetes i was told 2 eat more new potatoes rice and pasta and veg, cut my fat and sugar intake down which i have done. My diet was bad b4 diagnosis but now i have breakfast every morn consists ov 2 wheatabix no sugar semi skimmed milk, and a slice ov wholemeal toast dinner and tea sort ov plenty veg and mainy chicken, and as 4 my anxiety it is diabetes and WPW.s that brings it on. Been checking bg 1st thing in morn then 2 hours after meals. tnx again Andrew .

Yes Andrew - it is very confusing that the healthcare professionals give out the "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice to us Type 2s. In my opinion and that of many other diabetics it is very bad advice! Two Weetabix and a slice of toast is quite a lot of carbohydrate at breakfast time! I too was eating cereal for breakfast but these days I have a grilled or lightly fried in olive or rapeseed oil breakfast such as bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, egg or suchlike. In addition, I eat very small amounts of potatoes and only small portions of pasta or rice.

The times that you are testing are good ones and you ought to be looking for:

4 to 7 first thing in a morning
Less than 8 two hours after finishing eating

However, when you are achieving the 8 after eating aim for lower by testing at one hour after eating instead of two hours. It is all a gradual process of improvement.

You have absolutely no reason to be anxious about your diabetes because nothing nasty is going to happen to you suddenly. Just get to grips with improving your control and keep clear of long-term complications.

Keep asking the questions and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes - John

Last edited:
Yes Andrew - it is very confusing that the healthcare professionals give out the "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice to us Type 2s. In my opinion and that of many other diabetics it is very bad advice! Two Weetabix and a slice of toast is quite a lot of carbohydrate at breakfast time! I too was eating cereal for breakfast but these days I have a grilled or lightly fried in olive or rapeseed oil breakfast such as bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, egg or suchlike. In addition, I eat very small amounts of potatoes and only small portions of pasta or rice.

The times that you are testing are good ones and you ought to be looking for:

4 to 7 first thing in a morning
Less than 8 two hours after finishing eating

However, when you are achieving the 8 after eating aim for lower by testing at one hour after eating instead of two hours. It is all a gradual process of improvement.

You have absolutely no reason to be anxious about your diabetes because nothing nasty is going to happen to you suddenly. Just get to grips with improving your control and keep clear of long-term complications.

Keep asking the questions and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes - John

Ty again John for them reassuring words, i think its my anxiety that needs working on many tnx TC, ANDREW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back