Embarrassing question - bed wetting

RuthB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello all
I am not often on here cause I find since lockdown, unless it is for work, I just can't be bothered with things online, which is not good! And so apologies for not really being part of this community and yet coming here for advice! And advice about an embarrassing problem . . . . I am a 40 year old type 2 diabetic, diagnosed almost exactly 2 years ago. Very very fat. Not really controlling the diabetes very well in the last few months but trying to make changes in diet and am on metformin (though I think that might be making my IBS worse) Anyway, long story short, one night last week I wet the bed while asleep. This is all rather embarrassing but a quick google made me wonder if this is connected with my diabetes and my high blood sugar (fasting finger prick in the morning is normally between 9 and 11) . Has anyone else had this problem? Does it go away if blood sugar controlled properly?
Thanks!
Ruth

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i have a catheter in Ruth bed wetting can be linked to anything i know it is horrible and your first port of call is to try and get an appointment with your doctors so they can carry out an assessment. you can also self refer to incontinence clinics in your area do a search on the internet it should come up with your local one and don't worry as they are used to dealing with this stuff over and over.

just to ease you i am supplied with pads when i get very bad infections i bypass really badly till the infection settles down and the stoma from time to time can leak. the problem with the stoma is that urine can run down the inside of my legs and i have lost count of how many skin infections i have had which the doctors have had to deal with.

i would advise trying to get a bed pad in the mean time as a new mattress can run in to a lot of pounds. i have 2 washable ones.

hope some of this info helps you a little.

atoll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thirst,drinking gallons of liquids and peeing a lot is a classic symptom of uncontrolled high blood sugar as your body tries to rid itself of the sugar,(glyconsuria)
could be you dreamed that you went to the toilet!
but the issue is actually high blood sugar

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I agree you need to speak to Doctor or Nurse, although bloods are high, they are not mega high. You need to get urine tested to rule out a urine infection.

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
trouble with that theory is that there are many children and adults who suffer with bedwetting and they don't have diabetes. peeing sugar can lead to uti which can result in wetting as i experienced early last year.

good to get the urine tested as mentioned.

RuthB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i have a catheter in Ruth bed wetting can be linked to anything i know it is horrible and your first port of call is to try and get an appointment with your doctors so they can carry out an assessment. you can also self refer to incontinence clinics in your area do a search on the internet it should come up with your local one and don't worry as they are used to dealing with this stuff over and over.

just to ease you i am supplied with pads when i get very bad infections i bypass really badly till the infection settles down and the stoma from time to time can leak. the problem with the stoma is that urine can run down the inside of my legs and i have lost count of how many skin infections i have had which the doctors have had to deal with.

i would advise trying to get a bed pad in the mean time as a new mattress can run in to a lot of pounds. i have 2 washable ones.

hope some of this info helps you a little.
Thank you for that. It has only happened once so wasn't sure whether it was worth talking to doctor or not - I have a diabetes appointment next week so will mention it then. I will also look into getting a bed pad - thank you for the suggestions.

RuthB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thirst,drinking gallons of liquids and peeing a lot is a classic symptom of uncontrolled high blood sugar as your body tries to rid itself of the sugar,(glyconsuria)
could be you dreamed that you went to the toilet!
but the issue is actually high blood sugar
Dreaming of going to the loo is quite usual for me and has been for years and years! But this is the first time I actually wet the bed. I'm not peeing any more than normal during the day, nor drinking lots but maybe I need to monitor that to make sure

RuthB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I agree you need to speak to Doctor or Nurse, although bloods are high, they are not mega high. You need to get urine tested to rule out a urine infection.
Thank you - I actually have an appointment with my diabetes nurse next week so will mention it to her then. And thank you for reassuring me the bloods are not mega high - I worry about that!

RuthB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
trouble with that theory is that there are many children and adults who suffer with bedwetting and they don't have diabetes. peeing sugar can lead to uti which can result in wetting as i experienced early last year.

good to get the urine tested as mentioned.
Thank you - I will definitely get my urine tested then