eh...Frozen shoulder??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it's caused by the same problem I have, a neck injury. When I was having physio for my arm they told me at first it was tennis elbow, but the second physio said no, the problem according to her was with tendons and nerves in my neck and shoulders. She gave me a few simple exercises to do and within hours I was able to use my hand and arm again. I do them every day now and have few problems beyond the occasional ache.

Sit straight in a chair with your arms at your sides and pull your chin in without lowering your head, you'll feel the pull in you neck and possibly your shoulders. Hold it for a count of 6 and relax. Repeat at least 10 times if you can. Now, in the same starting position, tip your head slowly to towards your left shoulder and then the right, again hold for a count of 6 on each side and repeat 10 times. The third exercise I can't do because of the viertigo, but you go back to the starting position and tip your head back, hold for 6 ans repeat 10 times.

You may really feel it pulling at first, but as the tension in your neck and shoulder eases, you should start to feel much better. When I first started this, I couldn't lift my arm, hold a pen or get dressed without help, I had to wear braces on my wrist and eblow for months. Within days of starting the exercises, I was doing for myself again and haven't had any serious bother since... Unless I stop doing the exercises.

Check with your physio that these exercises won't make things worse before you try it though.

Hi Sheena
Oooooo you have this too...but getting better......That's great!
What is a quarterzone injection?
Is it a kind of painkiller?
Why it's not recommended????

Sorry I spelt it incorrectly, it's cortisone and it's steroid based. It's not a painkiller, it's a anti-inflammatory. My doc injected the cortisone straight into my shoulder and it was very painful, that's why I wouldn't recommend it, but it is different for everyone, but the physio worked best for me. Hope your shoulder gets better soon. Sheenax

Last edited:
I've had a recurring frozen shoulder. It first came about from over doing it in the gym on the weights. About a week later i couldn't move it that well and it gave a horrible dull ache. It clicked a lot, and that was the most annoying bit.
My GP on both occassions gave me some anti-inflam tablets which over a week brought it back to norm.
The other shoulder went shortly after probably bcos i was compensating from the other.
Lesson learnt... don't over do the shoulders in the gym!

had to go to the docs last week after more than a month with pain im my shoulder, [thought it was just a pulled muscle that would go away in a few weeks lol], got that bad i could`nt sleep as i kept turning over onto it ,sent me for x-rays will find out in the next few days what what i hope ,
my wife says its spondelitis i think thats how you spell it she had it a few years ago lol

Hi Williammcd
Have they found something about your shoulder? Hope you've got suitable treatment in a timely manner..

Hi guys. Just wondering if you could describe how frozen shoulder starts out? I keep getting what feels like a pulled muscle in my upper arm and have trouble getting dressed when it happens, so i'm a bit worried. Hoping it's just because I sleep in funny positions!

Hi Katie
That's exactly how it happened to me! If I were you, I would see my GP....although she didn't spot frozen shoulder and I had to wait to see a physiotherapist!

I wonder if it's caused by the same problem I have, a neck injury. When I was having physio for my arm they told me at first it was tennis elbow, but the second physio said no, the problem according to her was with tendons and nerves in my neck and shoulders. She gave me a few simple exercises to do and within hours I was able to use my hand and arm again. I do them every day now and have few problems beyond the occasional ache.

Sit straight in a chair with your arms at your sides and pull your chin in without lowering your head, you'll feel the pull in you neck and possibly your shoulders. Hold it for a count of 6 and relax. Repeat at least 10 times if you can. Now, in the same starting position, tip your head slowly to towards your left shoulder and then the right, again hold for a count of 6 on each side and repeat 10 times. The third exercise I can't do because of the viertigo, but you go back to the starting position and tip your head back, hold for 6 ans repeat 10 times.

You may really feel it pulling at first, but as the tension in your neck and shoulder eases, you should start to feel much better. When I first started this, I couldn't lift my arm, hold a pen or get dressed without help, I had to wear braces on my wrist and eblow for months. Within days of starting the exercises, I was doing for myself again and haven't had any serious bother since... Unless I stop doing the exercises.

Check with your physio that these exercises won't make things worse before you try it though.

Hi Alison
I've done the exercise you described. I didn't feel any muscle was pulling, I just felt good around my shoulders and neck. Hope your neck is OK now.

Sorry I spelt it incorrectly, it's cortisone and it's steroid based. It's not a painkiller, it's a anti-inflammatory. My doc injected the cortisone straight into my shoulder and it was very painful, that's why I wouldn't recommend it, but it is different for everyone, but the physio worked best for me. Hope your shoulder gets better soon. Sheenax

Hi Sheena
I think that's the one I had....I don't remember the name but GP said it was steroid based. I agree the injection itself was painful!

I've had a recurring frozen shoulder. It first came about from over doing it in the gym on the weights. About a week later i couldn't move it that well and it gave a horrible dull ache. It clicked a lot, and that was the most annoying bit.
My GP on both occassions gave me some anti-inflam tablets which over a week brought it back to norm.
The other shoulder went shortly after probably bcos i was compensating from the other.
Lesson learnt... don't over do the shoulders in the gym!

Hi Calshot
So you had it on both shoulders....mine is left shoulder, I don't want it to happen on my right too!! Surely, you don't get this on the same side again and again???

Hi Alison
I've done the exercise you described. I didn't feel any muscle was pulling, I just felt good around my shoulders and neck. Hope your neck is OK now.

I do still have a pain in the neck, but it's my brother! :D

Those cortisone injections are horrid, I had one in my ankle earlier this year, before they found the wee stone in my foot that is. But they do work if inflamation is the real problem.

I do still have a pain in the neck, but it's my brother! :D

Ooo then I have a permanent pain in the backside, which is my husband!:D

I fell over at work 10 weeks ago and landed on my shoulder fracturing my collar bone..since then I havent been able to lift my arm above waist level and the pain is awful. I've had 4 sessions of physio and still nothing...today I went back to the hospital and had a cortisone injection. I've also been told I have osteoarthritus as well.... I have to say the injection didnt hurt but I did feel dizzy for a while .. I hope this will do the trick because its really getting me down having all this pain to put up with.

I've had frozen shoulder in both arms. It started in my left arm about four years ago and 18 months ago it flared up so badly that I was in A&E begging for painkillers. I had MUA on that last November and it is better but nowhere back to "normal". My right should is also getting steadily worse but I won't have an MUA on that because I've got so much more going on. I do find that the phsyio exercise that I do at home help but that they can be very uncomfortable/painful - but if it's like I do try to remind myself no pain no gain!

I've got a really bad shoulder but I don't know what's wrong with it. I know I pulled it several months ago but I now get a tearing pain when I move it the wrong way, agonising.

i have had a frozen left shoulder for years i have terrible trouble trying to get dressed sometimes , it seems to flare up and can be sometimes worse than others i always sleep on my side and when it is really bad cant even turn on that side , sad thing is i think it is slowly starting in right shoulder as well:(

Hi, my right arm was frozen about 5 years ago. Couldn't lift my arm to dress my self, brush my hair and towards the end I couldn't even move my arm away from my body to shower properly. life was difficult. I had physio for many weeks but alas it didn't really help and I ended up having an operation to release it and then further intensive physio and then ended up having manipulation under anaesthetic. It came good in the end, though I now fear its starting in my left shoulder too. I'm getting to the docs early this time and hopefully it will be sorted without so much intervention.

I was the same as you had quarterzone injections in left shouldes, physio and then operation . Then it started in my right shoulder and had to start all over agen but thy dident do what they had done on left and just done the manipulation under anaesthetic and then physio but it is not that good I still carnt lift it up

I've got it in my right shoulder since falling on it last February. The pain was awful and I could hardly move it. The doctor just told me to try exercising it, which I have and the pain has nearly gone, but I still can't lift it much above my ear, but it's improving very slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back