Education of family and friends and the public in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice link Becca, I've not seen it before and it definitely sums up how I feel on a daily basis! However Tracey, I do agree, it is a little abrupt and perhaps only for use with people who you are closely acquainted with and know well!

I'm generally very happy to speak to people about my diabetes and how I feel about it. I appreciate people asking questions rather than just looking on and I find that by being open about it people ask questions a lot more. I definitely feel like I've educated a lot of my colleagues and indeed school friends and uni friends. If everyone does that then it's definitely a small step in the right direction! At the end of the day, people who don't have a link with diabetes (be it i work colleague, friend or family member) have little desire to know more and I definitely think it's better not to push it. I will, however, always always ALWAYS tell people it's not helpful when they come up with horror stories about 'somone they know' who lost a leg/ their sight due to diabetes!!

Ah Marc I like that its briliant! I tend to find most people are not interested anyway. if its not happening to them then they dont really care. i have met/worked with lots of people since diagnosis and not found anyone yet who is interested to listen to what it is all about, they rather i just get on with it. 🙂
I told my neighbour and she was quite shocked and asked a few questions. Some people ask questions, others don't. Funnily enough the ones who ask questions get answers and the ones that don't ask questions, don't get answers. :D

Luckily enough I've not had any 'stupid' or 'tactless' comments from anyone about this yet. Long may that continue. 🙂

Whilst i do agree with most of what is on the sheet - i feel it could 'scare' people away - and it does come across as a bit defensive. I am not sure i want Alex to start out with the attitude that he has to somehow 'nip things in the bud' when people want to talk about diabetes. It is only natural that people will ask questions and try to 'help' its just human nature i think. Before we entered the world of diabetes we knew nothing - but i wouldnt have 'meant' to hurt peoples feelings and i dont think many people do. But then we are only 6 months in - ask us again in a years time!🙂 Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back