Education of family and friends and the public in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Most of us here are diabetic. If we are not we are related to or care for someone who is.

There are a lot of misconceptions, myths and some nasty or maliciou rumours surrounding diabetes.

On the whole I tend to hand people a leaflet as lots of people just don't want to know, it's not their problem. If they ten want to find out more they will.

Anyone who asks, i will sit and chat and tell them about diabetes from my perspective and how it has affected my life then point them in the direction of this forum and diabetes uk, but am often left feeling I could say more.

What does everyone else do, and how do you all think we can educate or enlighten the unknowing masses?:confused:

Thanks Becca, I have printed it and will display it in the office, and make copies for around the building I work in. It's brilliant

I am only too happy to explain, if someone asks me. All my friends know and in the beginning asked me about dietary requirements and were a bit scared to cook 'normal food' but once I had explained they were OK. Some people are less wise so I make it mission to put them straight!

Becca - That is brilliant - so simple too. I too have printed it off.

I am always happy to explain about diabetes if anyone asks, but like the poster suggests, it's people's thoughtless comments that are less than helpful.

Hazel

Becca - That is brilliant - so simple too. I too have printed it off.

I am always happy to explain about diabetes if anyone asks, but like the poster suggests, it's people's thoughtless comments that are less than helpful.

Hazel

I know exactly what you mean about thoughtless comments...

Hi Becca, for some reason the link doesnt work for me? Is it working for everyone else? :confused:Bev

Hi Becca, for some reason the link doesnt work for me? Is it working for everyone else? :confused:Bev

I think you've been barred bev, something to do with the comments you keep making about Kate Bush's ears...😉

Kate who...?
Oh, you mean 'ole big ears erself' - well i am only stating facts Northerner - anyone with eyes can see she resembles old dumbo! And the amount of dogs she attracts when she is 'singing' on the radio is enough to make your hair curl - oh i forgot - you do have curly hair - well that explains that then!:D Bev

Honestly you two! I have read every members post over the last few days as they are posted and been dying to find time to comment - but this really made me laugh out loud Bev!! Honestly! I coulodn't resist!
Will be doing serious replies to other members posts later – am far too bloomin' busy at the mo (which is great in the current climate!) - but you are keeping me cheerful!! LOL!!

Honestly you two! I have read every members post over the last few days as they are posted and been dying to find time to comment - but this really made me laugh out loud Bev!! Honestly! I coulodn't resist!
Will be doing serious replies to other members posts later – am far too bloomin' busy at the mo (which is great in the current climate!) - but you are keeping me cheerful!! LOL!!

[Thinks] Curses! Admin is looking in - I can't wield my Moderator powers against bev without getting sanctioned myself!😱 [/Thinks]

I get all posts all the time - so even if not posting - I always know what you are up to Northerner!! Hee! Hee! It's all yours now - I am going to meet some old college friends and watch them drink! Yee ha!

Nice link Becca. Course I'd prefer a more to the point version on my fridge. Something like "NAFF OFF! Its none of your business"

😎

Ah Marc I like that its briliant! I tend to find most people are not interested anyway. if its not happening to them then they dont really care. i have met/worked with lots of people since diagnosis and not found anyone yet who is interested to listen to what it is all about, they rather i just get on with it. 🙂

That seems a really good sheet actually. I'll have to bookmark that one. I've been really fortunate so far though, in that everyone at work (we're a really small office - only 8 people full time, including myself) has been really good at asking the right sort of questions and not making assumptions. I suppose it helps that my housemate and best friend also work with me, and my boss is a T2! 🙂.....however, I'm sure that there will come a time that I'll need something like that sheet!

personally i dont like this sheet, i have read it several times over the past year. to me it seems quite abrupt and offensive to others in some of the parts. But hey that just my opinion :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back