Eating out - any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not 'any food that contains sugar'. Sugar. As in sugar in coffee (she said I could use a sweetener) and desserts, pies, fruit juice. As I said, she was very specific, there was nothing to misunderstand.
A savoury pie wouldn’t contain added sugar, neither would fruit juice. So it still sounds like you’re confused.

All carbohydrates digest as sugar. There’s no difference between “added sugar” and “natural sugar” when it’s being processed in your body.

I decided not to have wine after all. I did a little research and found that drinking wine when you're on Metformin can cause a problem and since I'm not a big fan of alcoholic beverages, I won't risk it.

A savoury pie wouldn’t contain added sugar, neither would fruit juice. So it still sounds like you’re confused.

All carbohydrates digest as sugar. There’s no difference between “added sugar” and “natural sugar” when it’s being processed in your body.

I'm not confused. I just can't write the dialogue word by word.

She specifically mentioned white sugar that we add in coffee plus pies, fruit juice and desserts as things I shouldn't eat at all.

PS. I imagine she didn't mean 100% natural juice like the one we make at home but I didn't ask her because I don't like fruit juice anyway.

Last edited:

She specifically mentioned white sugar that we add in coffee plus pies, fruit juice and desserts as things I shouldn't eat at all.
I think it depends on what you consider a desert, If you think of traditional puddings then maybe not but strawberries and cream, sugarfree jelly with added berries, yoghurt with some berries, even a home made fruit crumble, I make my topping from almond flour/ground almonds, a low sugar granola, butter, seeds and nuts no extra sugar added to that.
Fruit juice has quite a lot of carbs so better to actually eat the orange.
These days pies in a pub meal are often just a piece of puff pastry on top of a dish of filling so actually not too many carbs if you fancy a pie occasionally.
Many people do manage a glass of wine even if taking metformin but don't spoil your evening for the uncertainty

We have a Beefeater nearby we like to eat out at occasionally. I found their nutritional information (including carbs) for all their menus (link below). Maybe other chains/restaurants do the same, I don't know. If not, I suppose their meals might have similar values.

Might be worth a look

steve

We have a Beefeater nearby we like to eat out at occasionally. I found their nutritional information (including carbs) for all their menus (link below). Maybe other chains/restaurants do the same, I don't know. If not, I suppose their meals might have similar values.

Might be worth a look

steve
Scary maybe should avoid the chips :(

PS. I imagine she didn't mean 100% natural juice like the one we make at home but I didn't ask her because I don't like fruit juice anyway.
Hi Helen,

Hope you had a lovely evening. I have read all of the responses on this thread and many others, including my own. I have also noticed that certain forum members seem rather passive aggressive in a lot of their replies which is why I have switched my posts to a different site now. We dont need telling off or be condescended to, we are all in a crappy boat as it is.

Everyones diabetes is different, and everyone recieves different advice from their DSN and medical professionals. My "advice" to you, and it isnt medical, is do what is right for yourself and not what some of the "professional diabetes sufferers" tell you to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back