Eating out - any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helen56

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Tonight I'm going out for dinner to celebrate a friend's birthday. It will be the first time I'll be eating out since I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and I'm a bit concerned about it.
I have a plan as in a big salad, fish or chicken and a slice of bread (my doctor allows that) and I'll stick to it but I have 2 questions.

1. I haven't had any dessert in the last 3 weeks but, well, it's a birthday dinner, so, I'm thinking I should have something. Any suggestions?
2. I don't drink except in situations like the one I've described. Do you think a glass of wine would be ok? Thankfully, I don't like beer.

PS. I could call my doctor and ask but I've already called her so many times 😳

I’d have whatever you fancy, it’s not something you’re eating every day

My Nurse told me if you are going out then it's fine to treat yourself every now and then, just don't do it too often. But I do try and only eat half the dessert (doesn't always work though).

It is one evening out so have whatever you like but some places do a mini desert + coffee but profiteroles are lowish carb, even Eton Mess is not too bad or ice cream but the thing I found was that often deserts actually taste too sweet.
Dry wines are OK or spirits with diet mixers.
It really isn't a decision that you need to contact your nurse or doctor about.

It is one evening out so have whatever you like but some places do a mini desert + coffee but profiteroles are lowish carb, even Eton Mess is not too bad or ice cream but the thing I found was that often deserts actually taste too sweet.
Dry wines are OK or spirits with diet mixers.
It really isn't a decision that you need to contact your nurse or doctor about.
She was very strict about the things I should/shouldn't eat, even down to the size of the plate. She said I can't eat sugar, pies or fruit juice or have bread with pasta, rice, potatoes or legumes or how many potatoes I can have with meat etc.
So, I try to work around that and have had to call her a few times but I know she's away this weekend and I didn't want to bother her again.

Thanks for the advice.

She was very strict about the things I should/shouldn't eat, even down to the size of the plate. She said I can't eat sugar, pies or fruit juice or have bread with pasta, rice, potatoes or legumes or how many potatoes I can have with meat etc.
So, I try to work around that and have had to call her a few times but I know she's away this weekend and I didn't want to bother her again.

Thanks for the advice.
You look to be doing really well looking at you morning reading you have posted.
I certainly agree with the advise about the sugar etc as they are high carb and I used the principal that I don't have more than one carby veg at any one meal, don't have rice and use a low carb pasta made from edamame beans or black beans.
The idea of the smaller plate is foods don't look as 'lost' but it depends what it is as if it is a big plate say of salad then that surely is fine.
All the various dietary regimes are not written in stone and people need to find what works for them and have the confidence to try different things.
That is why testing before and after meals does mean you may be able to have things you previously rejected and some thing you think is fine because your nurse has said so actually isn't.

I certainly agree with the advise about the sugar etc as they are high carb and I used the principal that I don't have more than one carby veg at any one meal, don't have rice and use a low carb pasta made from edamame beans or black beans.

I just bought chickpea pasta today and can't wait to try it tomorrow 😎

I just bought chickpea pasta today and can't wait to try it tomorrow 😎
I would do a bit of research on the relative carb content of various pastas as some of the alternatives are not much different to normal pasta which is why I use the edamame or black bean ones as the are only 15g carbs per 100g dry weight.
Also make sure you are comparing with what might be the carbs per dry weight or cooked weight. Great confusion and there has been a tread on that very topic.
Just be careful of your portion size with the chickpea one.

There are no banned foods with diabetes, it’s not an allergy. You can have sugar, pies, pasta, rice, legumes, potatoes etc, they’re not banned. It’s about the portion sizes is all. Sounds like she’s oversimplified it or you’re taking her too literally.

There are no banned foods with diabetes, it’s not an allergy. You can have sugar, pies, pasta, rice, legumes, potatoes etc, they’re not banned. It’s about the portion sizes is all. Sounds like she’s oversimplified it or you’re taking her too literally.
I certainly didn't take her too literally. She specifically said sugar has to go. Completely. Same about pies.

The rest she said I can eat in small portions and without bread.

Difficult with deserts when eating out, by their very nature they are often loaded with sugars! At this time of year you may find strawberries and rasberries on the menu, for me at least these are acceptable with cream. Another option that works for me is cheese and biscuits, odd I know, but the fat in the cheese seems to smother the carbs in the biscuits making them slow release, each typ cracker will only be about 3g of carb anyway. Or as others have suggested treat yourself, just eat half of it! Or failing that a nice cup of filter coffee with cream if you like!
I often take my own low carb bread or roll, substituting or asking the waitress to bring my burger in it instead of a normal one, or just swapping for the roast potatoes on the plate, all have been very understanding. Even take my cauliflower rice if eating out at Indian, they microwave it for me, or take low carb wrap in place of chapati instead!

If we eat out I take it as a day off from my diet, since we don't eat out often enough for it to make any significant difference. My BG levels are always in their usual place the day after. Two of our favourite eateries do the mini-dessert option that @Leadinglights mentions and I always opt for a cappuccino and mini-brownie, otherwise my wife and I will share a dessert - we just ask for two spoons.

Just be careful of your portion size with the chickpea one.
Agree - just had a look at the nutrition information on a couple of brands and it looks like chickpea pasta is around 50% carbohydrate.

Agree - just had a look at the nutrition information on a couple of brands and it looks like chickpea pasta is around 50% carbohydrate.
Yes, I've read that but it also has much more protein and fibre than white pasta. I'll just be extra careful with the portion size.

Yes, I've read that but it also has much more protein and fibre than white pasta. I'll just be extra careful with the portion size.
The only real way to find out is to test before you eat than 2 hours,after the first bite. I love chickpeas and hoummos
but found out to my disappointment it raised my glucose levels. So I reduced the portion and all is ok. It takes time and patience to work it out. Good luck

Last edited:
I certainly didn't take her too literally. She specifically said sugar has to go. Completely.
You definitely took her too literally then. Even lettuce contains sugar.

In fact, 100% of the carbohydrate in lettuce is sugar but I suspect the DN meant refined sugar

I'm currently using red lentil pasta, but I keep my portion size down to 50g uncooked weight.

Not 'any food that contains sugar'. Sugar. As in sugar in coffee (she said I could use a sweetener) and desserts, pies, fruit juice. As I said, she was very specific, there was nothing to misunderstand.

I’ve just come back from holiday and was eating out every night, but being diabetic 2 for a while now I’ve got in the habit of avoiding chips, potatoes, pasta etc, but I do have a couple of glasses of wine and my partner and I share a desert. Eating out can be done and enjoyed, you just need to be a bit more careful when looking at the menu. Enjoy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back