Dvla

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the question I still have is, if you tick the box that states "never had episodes of low blood sugar" then go straight to question 7 as instructed, does that mean that she will not be given her licence

Do you have a copy of what she filled out to check that she only ticked the very first box in 4, then skipped everything else as advised and just answered question 7?

So is it the case that even if you tick the never had episodes option you are not fit to drive?? If so why have that question?

@Garyp But didn’t your mum tick the box saying she had no awareness? If so, that was her mistake. The question you quoted was added to the form to stop mistakes like this. It previously asked something like Are you aware when you’re having a hypo, and people who hadn’t had a hypo answered No - because they hadn’t had a hypo. There was someone on the forum who did this but eventually got their licence back.

NB - your mum should be totally honest on the form. There’s no such thing as “too honest” in regard to that important question. If she’s made the mistake of saying she has No awareness she needs to contact them and explain that she filled the form in wrongly. They’ll then probably get a doctor’s note and, all being well, reinstate her licence.

So the question I still have is, if you tick the box that states "never had episodes of low blood sugar" then go straight to question 7 as instructed, does that mean that she will not be given her licence?

No, it doesn’t. A recently diagnosed friend told the DVLA, ticked that box and still got her licence. If your mum has only recently started insulin, like my friend, it’s not uncommon not to have had a hypo.

So are we saying that she should tick the box saying never had episodes of low blood glucose and move straight to question 7.

Do you have a copy of what she filled out to check that she only ticked the very first box in 4, then skipped everything else as advised and just answered question 7?
I called dvla and it turns out she ticked "never had an episode" and "no I don't get warnings" and as they confirmed she should have gone straight to question 7. And not ticked the no warnings box

So are we saying that she should tick the box saying never had episodes of low blood glucose and move straight to question 7.
In my case, I tick “yes I get warning signs.” No to #5. No to #6. Then yes to lucky 7.
Then beep beep, 3 more years of happy safe motoring.

Yes - that’s what the instructions say @Garyp If she’s never had a hypo, she misses out the inbetween questions and goes to Q7.

I think what’s more important is what did she actually tick, given it’s now been revoked

I called dvla and it turns out she ticked "never had an episode" and "no I don't get warnings" and as they confirmed she should have gone straight to question 7. And not ticked the no warnings box
Pleased that's sorted. Hopefully her new licence will be on its way shortly.

They've said to right a letter staring the mistake and see what happens
Many many years back, in my haste. I missed a whole section? They sent the form back highlighting the omission. Filled it out properly & sent it back. Here’s hoping your mum retains her licence.

They've said to right a letter staring the mistake and see what happens

Hope your Mum gets her license back @Garyp

She isn’t the first to have got into bother with that form in this way.

There is a huge difference between “I have never had a hypo, and therefore have never experienced hypo warning signs” vs “I have had so many hypos, my body no longer bothers to warn me, no matter how critically low my BG levels get”

If you tick the ‘no warnings’ box, the DVLA have to rescind your license.

But for people newly on insulin who have never had any experience of hypos this isn’t always clear.

PS, I’ve merged your posts and replies all into the same thread to keep them together 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back