Dvla

Garyp

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi, my mother has recently Been put on insulin to control her high blood sugar and so has now had to fill in the dreaded diab1 form for the dvla, she's has now had her licence revoked as she "has no warning signs" for hypos, I think she may have filled it in incorrectly, she should have ticked never had epusodes of low blood sugar as she's been put on insulin to bring her blood sugar down as it's never low and metformin wasn't working, if she ticks the never had a hypo will that also mean she'll be classed as having no warning signs??

Last edited:
So if you fill in the box that says "never had hypos" does that mean they class you as unaware I get no warnings??

So if you fill in the box that says "never had hypos" does that mean they class you as unaware I get no warnings??
No, that just means you have had a hypo, there’s another question about symptoms I believe

This is 2 years old, best start a new thread if you’re stuck. There’s a question about your hypos and a question about warning signs. If you say you dont get warning signs then yes you lose your licence.

From what I can see, if you tick the box about never having had episodes of low blood glucose you skip the next questions about warning signs and episodes and go straight to the declaration that you agree to monitor your blood glucose levels at times relevant to driving.

This is 2 years old, best start a new thread if you’re stuck. There’s a question about your hypos and a question about warning signs. If you say you dont get warning signs then yes you lose your licence.
But surely if you never have low blood sugar then you'll never have a hypo or get signs of??

Hi @Garyp , I know those forms can be really confusing and unfortunately I can't personally advise on this, but there will be some users who have gone through that dreaded process I'm sure. In the mean time, it might be best to just ring the DVLA Medical Enquiries line yourself, explain her situation and see what they advise. Here's their details:

Telephone: 0300 790 6806
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturdays, 8am to 2pm

Hi, my mother has recently Been put on insulin to control her high blood sugar and so has now had to fill in the dreaded diab1 form for the dvla, she's has now had her licence revoked as she "has no warning signs" for hypos, I think she may have filled it in incorrectly, she should have ticked never had epusodes of low blood sugar as she's been put on insulin to bring her blood sugar down as it's never low and metformin wasn't working, if she ticks the never had a hypo will that also mean she'll be classed as having no warning signs??
Hello, the questions in the form are designed to satisfy DVLA on the licence holders fitness to drive. Eyesight must meet the required minimum & so does the ability to sense a hypo regarding insulin use. DVLA on renewal seem to ask whether the applicant recognises some “classic” symptoms & these days there is also the agreement to blood test before getting behind the wheel & every two hours in operation of a motor vehicle & there after. If any of these points had been missed on the form? This may have voided your mum’s licence with the box ticking of an approval on a 3 year restricted licence.

But surely if you never have low blood sugar then you'll never have a hypo or get signs of??
Just a point if clarification.
What do people/ the form classify as a hypo.Is it a clinical hypo or simply dropping below 3.9?
Normally you would experience hypo awareness before you went into hypo territory.

No, I think it simply means as it says. That is, the person has never had a hypo so can’t comment on whether they have hypo awareness or not.

Well, yes. If she’s answered the questions wrongly, she’ll need to contact the DVLA, explain, and see if/when she can apply to have her licence reinstated.

That’s not true. You should get hypo warning signs when you are approaching 4, or when dropping fast, so yes you should know that you get hypo warning signs even if you’ve never been below 4

She should still have hypo warning signs even if she’s never had a hypo. When your sugars are running high you usually get hypo warning signs when you’re lower than your usual level, or when your blood sugar is falling fast.

If she’s said she doesn’t have hypo warning signs when she does though, then that will have got her licence revoked. She’ll have to contact the DVLA and find out how she proves to them that she does have sufficient hypo awareness to get her licence reinstated.

So is it the case that even if you tick the never had episodes option you are not fit to drive?? If so why have that question?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240610-224554_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240610-224554_Drive.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 8
So the question I still have is, if you tick the box that states "never had episodes of low blood sugar" then go straight to question 7 as instructed, does that mean that she will not be given her licence?

Lantus solo star pen
This is what I think. Your mum has just started insulin? What she has is just a long acting basal insulin. Probably on a low dose to start which at least (till adjusted to pull her bloods in line.) will stop her BGs going any higher.
Your mum was honest filling the DIAB1 form out. But there is such a “thing” as being “too honest.”
You don’t think like a “civil servant” when filling these out. You become one.
So it’s an episode of “lower blood sugar” (that’s if the insulin has a certain effect?) “Do you understand the warning signs of low blood sugar?” Yes, because she should have been warned about the probability?
“Ever had severe episodes of low BG, whilst awake in the last 12 months?” Hell no!
Then head to 7 & agree to monitor BG.
I would urge your mother to first contact with her GP or diabetes team. Even a DSN on their view regarding her fitness & status to drive at this time? (Before contacting DVLA.)

Back