DVLA asking for views on policy changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically, I don’t think there is a lot to stop me getting on a pushbike, if I lost my privilege to drive?
Now that is a potential hypo maker
there is (or was) the potential to disqualify a vehicle driver for drunk cycling. Not sure if that extends to others offences.

there is (or was) the potential to disqualify a vehicle driver for drunk cycling. Not sure if that extends to others offences.
I’ve heard stories (it happened “during a war.”) of drunk in charge of a cycle? I believe there was 5 shilling fine?
A pushbike is a non motorised vehicle. Chance of getting done driving without a licence would be zero.

Having said that. There is a maximum £1,000 fine for the offence after a quick Google. And this 1960 road act. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpg...ith-riding-of-pedal-cycles/enacted?view=plain

I’ve heard stories (it happened “during a war.”) of drunk in charge of a cycle? I believe there was 5 shilling fine?
A pushbike is a non motorised vehicle. Chance of getting done driving without a licence would be zero.

Having said that. There is a maximum £1,000 fine for the offence after a quick Google. And this 1960 road act. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpg...ith-riding-of-pedal-cycles/enacted?view=plain
I didn’t say it happened much or was likely just that technically it’s possible as it’s a breach 9f the road traffic act nonetheless

I didn’t say it happened much or was likely just that technically it’s possible as it’s a breach 9f the road traffic act nonetheless

Any hoo. Thanks for the update on the law. Point of fact was, there absolutely nothing stopping me from jumping on a push bike “if” I was unfortunate enough to be hypo unaware or had eyesight below the minimum DVLA requirement thus leaving me sans licence. As much as I disliked Norman Tebbit, it’s what I’d need to do to bring home the bacon.
For the record. I need to be wary of piss heads on bikes and hired electric scooters making my way home from work, late nights. As well as drunk pedestrian clubbers stepping out (lemming like.) on mass?

I act as part of the “solution.” And protect the “less vulnerable.”

Have to remember that if any of us causes an accident from being hypo and gets prosecuted, we are just part of the 'driving under the influence of drugs' figures. Infuriating though that is.

Ironically, I don’t think there is a lot to stop me getting on a pushbike, if I lost my privilege to drive?
Now that is a potential hypo maker.
But in a push bike you most likely only hurt yourself, in charge of a car, while hypo, the consequences could be much more serious.

It may feel harsh and unfair that on top of having to deal with diabetes we also have these additional restrictions. But these restrictions are there for everyone's safety, including ours.

I recently got turned down for a free bus pass as the meds I take would not be a problem to the DVLA and me holding a driving license. Even though the meds I take have a sedative affect. Which means falling asleep at the wheel. Apparently they consulted a medical expert. Not the first time though. I requested hospital transport and was told it's for the disabled. When I confirmed I have a disability the member of staff said yeah but you answered potentially to getting into a taxi.

Probably not what you were asking for entirely but thought it was worth sharing.
Hospital Transport also use Taxi's when needed, so what difference does that make, it still comes under Hospital/Patient Transport, sounds like a double standard to me ! Patient Transport IS for the disabled, because when I worked in Renal Dialysis, patient/hospital transport brought in disabled people in Wheelchairs or those using Frames etc.

Have to remember that if any of us causes an accident from being hypo and gets prosecuted, we are just part of the 'driving under the influence of drugs' figures. Infuriating though that is.
Then I ask why there is not a separate category for Diabetics. If your blood glucose becomes low while driving, how are you under the influence of drugs, Glucose produced by the body is not a drug ! If you realise you are having a hypo and are able to sort yourself out and be ok, that is the point you are under the influence of drugs for using Insulin. The driving under the influence of drugs figures is so in the wrong category, a new one should be created.

Because there is no legal requirement to test before driving if on tablets, that’s clear enough to me but many on this forum scare those on tablets that can cause hypos into thinking they have to test before driving a car. They don’t, they might choose to, they might use it as a reason to ask their GP for more test strips, but ultimately they can legally drive without testing on tablets and if they can’t get prescribed or personally afford test strips they don’t need to stop driving.

Of course personally I always test before driving, I take 5/6 injections of insulin a day and have signed to say that I will test before driving. I don’t drive much because of my ME (which I don’t even have to tell the DVLA about).
You only have to tell the DVLA if you are having hypo's, if the tablet meds you take are not causing that, then you don't have to inform the DVLA, I checked this out myself some months back, and just followed their guidance, I also informed my car insurance about my T2 diabetes and what the DVLA state, they said they/I are fine and to follow the guidance of the DVLA. Yes, I realise the wording of the DVLA can be and is sometimes confusing, but at the same time, following the basics of what it states and you will be fine.

Then I ask why there is not a separate category for Diabetics. If your blood glucose becomes low while driving, how are you under the influence of drugs, Glucose produced by the body is not a drug ! If you realise you are having a hypo and are able to sort yourself out and be ok, that is the point you are under the influence of drugs for using Insulin. The driving under the influence of drugs figures is so in the wrong category, a new one should be created.
Don't ask anyone on this forum 'why' - Parliament makes the laws. Start badgering your MP to change the Law if you aren't happy with it.

If your blood glucose becomes low while driving, how are you under the influence of drugs
The hypos we have are caused by having more insulin than we need on board. We will have injected this by some means so I guess that is what they mean by being under the influence of drugs. This will not have been an intentional error, but one caused by juggling all the other factors that impact our glucose levels.

Whatever the definition it will be a serious danger to us and others to drive whilst hypo so following the guidance is essential. The mantra ‘5 to drive’ is one that has stuck with me, and is a lot easier to manage for those that now have sensors telling us, not only our level, but the direction in which these are going, and enables us to act accordingly to head off potential hypos.

I need to be wary of piss heads on bikes and hired electric scooters making my way home from work, late nights.
To ride an electric scooter, you need a driving license so I assume you can lose it if you are caught in charge of one whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

My understanding is that bikes (including legal electric ones) require you to pedal to move whereas electric scooters require no manual intervention. So bikes do not need a license but scooters do.

You’d be hypo because of the insulin - a drug - not the glucose, as in fact the whole issue would be lack of glucose. And as the insulin is being injected it is driving under the influence of that drug. That category isn’t just illegal drugs. It’s things like painkillers as well as insulin. Anything you take that is impairing your ability to drive safely. In some situations it includes alcohol too. I’m not sure why you think it’s inaccurate or wrong.

Drugs have different side effects. Anything that potentially affects the cognitive impedes fitness to drive.
Insulin can do this with it’s blood sugar lowering qualities.

It’s not just insulin dependant diabetics that have to satisfy DVLA that we won’t have a debilitating episode. https://www.gov.uk/epilepsy-and-driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back