Durable Insulin Pens - how long should they be used before you get a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be worth laying it on thick and saying the pen now broke and you have no safe means of administering your insulin rather than just that it is old.
Do you have online prescription ordering? If so, make a "custom" request. With my online system, a custom request needs to be made separate of a regular medication request otherwise it gets overlooked and it goes through to a GP to authorize. Maybe say something like you are having to interchange vials in your one remaining pen as a result and it is dangerous.
Good luck!
Thank you. I have already told everyone who can make it happen in writing why I would like new pens (because they are ancient and because My DSN recently told me to adjust my insulin to carbohydrate ratio from 1:10 to 1:8.5 and I don't have currently any pens that can administer half doses).

If the truth isn't good enough, then I guess I am out of luck!

The lack of responsiveness is really quite breathtaking though. The NHS has really changed since I was a nipper. And not in a good way.

Just to add to this thread (which must have jinxed me as one of my Novopen 4s broke last week!) I called my GP today and he has written me a script for two new Novopen 6s to replace both the broken pen and the other old one. He didn’t question it at all and asked if I would be ok until the pharmacy gets the new pens in within the next couple of days.

The only bit that has broken is the insulin cartridge carrier and I have done a temporary repair with superglue (twice now) which will see me through until I get my new pens. I’ll keep the old pens as spares in case anything happens with the new ones.

Just to add to this thread (which must have jinxed me as one of my Novopen 4s broke last week!) I called my GP today and he has written me a script for two new Novopen 6s to replace both the broken pen and the other old one. He didn’t question it at all and asked if I would be ok until the pharmacy gets the new pens in within the next couple of days.

The only bit that has broken is the insulin cartridge carrier and I have done a temporary repair with superglue (twice now) which will see me through until I get my new pens. I’ll keep the old pens as spares in case anything happens with the new ones.
Right, that's it! I've written to Jay Blades and the BBC Repair Shop team!

The issue here is that nobody ought to have to do things like this. Some of it is getting ridiculous now though. Would it be worth asking Dr Kar to take an interest?

The issue here is that nobody ought to have to do things like this. Some of it is getting ridiculous now though. Would it be worth asking Dr Kar to take an interest?
Good Morning

Thank you. It's OK. I spoke to my GP's reception this morning. Apparently a prescription has been written. I just need to wait for a text from the pharmacy to confirm the items are ready to collect.

I will keep my "tactical diabetic-medico-nuclear weapon" of Professor Kar in reserve and deploy him one day - only if absolutely necessary - and for something really critical for me, no doubt involving some asinine decision made by my local integrated care board.

It's a shame though. I was really looking forward to meeting Jay Blades and the BBC Repair Shop team!

Thank you all for your unswerving support, help and guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back