Durable Insulin Pens - how long should they be used before you get a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadaBing

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good Morning

This may have been asked before.

It occurred to me recently I have been using the same durable insulin pens (the kind one puts penfills in) I was given when I was first diagnosed a long, long time ago.

I assume the dialling mechanisms, pistons, etc of my pens still work fine (although they both look very tired-looking on the outside).

Does anyone know if one ought to replace durable insulin pens after a period of time? And if so, how frequently?

Thank you.

The leaflet that came with my Luxura pens (for Humalog) said they should be changed after 3 years - but then, they would say that, wouldn’t they. I’ve now been using them for 5 years, they’re not as shiny as they were but working fine. A DSN told me that for as long as that was the case, it was OK to keep using them. My motto is, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Good Morning

This may have been asked before.

It occurred to me recently I have been using the same durable insulin pens (the kind one puts penfills in) I was given when I was first diagnosed a long, long time ago.

I assume the dialling mechanisms, pistons, etc of my pens still work fine (although they both look very tired-looking on the outside).

Does anyone know if one ought to replace durable insulin pens after a period of time? And if so, how frequently?

Thank you.
Hi,
My first thought was do you have a 3rd pen, ie a complete spare. If you do then whenever an in-use pen finally fails there's no immediate panic. If you don't yet have a spare, perhaps you should.
My next thought was that I'd understood the NovoEcho pen batteries should last 4 years, or more. Even without the dose memory function I read a review saying the pen itself was still fine at 6 years.
My 3rd thought was, cynically but as with so many other products, the original item on first release to market may well be fine for a decade plus; but once the manufacturer has secured their niche in the market place there would be built in obsolescence to ensure an item failed just beyond its warranty period. Otherwise how do they stay in business? [rhetorical question]

Motor cars demonstrate this brilliantly. Some 20 years ago a well known car reviewer observed (speculated) that cars should only need a 7 year life; after that the speed of tech change would make an 8 year old car feel not much fun anymore; that various expensive parts would need replacing anyway after 7 years (clutch, alternators, exhausts, water pumps etc). This became a self-fulfilling prophecy: not long after this review 2nd hand prices for 8 Yr old cars plummeted; Kia sold cars with 7 yr warranties; new cars needed expensive servicing, scheduled at what might be an average 7 year mileage point, such as fan belts and water pumps - that need half the engine dismantling with ridiculous labour charges; and generally car owners became conditioned into accepting the 7 year predictable life span for a former new vehicle. Same for white goods, most electrical goods, etc, in fact its difficult to find much made in the last 10 years that endures. Our parents handed down stuff is still doing well for us and might yet get passed on. Can't see anything here of our more recent new purchases surviving us!! Digression over.

On pump now but would use pens for years, recall one being 5 years.

Before switching was using Echo pen so battery would fail eventually meaning to use memory function it had to be replaced, they could last as long as2 years.

If in doubt about accuracy change pen earlier, they are not that expensive anyway.

Hi,
My first thought was do you have a 3rd pen, ie a complete spare. If you do then whenever an in-use pen finally fails there's no immediate panic. If you don't yet have a spare, perhaps you should.
My next thought was that I'd understood the NovoEcho pen batteries should last 4 years, or more. Even without the dose memory function I read a review saying the pen itself was still fine at 6 years.
My 3rd thought was, cynically but as with so many other products, the original item on first release to market may well be fine for a decade plus; but once the manufacturer has secured their niche in the market place there would be built in obsolescence to ensure an item failed just beyond its warranty period. Otherwise how do they stay in business? [rhetorical question]

Motor cars demonstrate this brilliantly. Some 20 years ago a well known car reviewer observed (speculated) that cars should only need a 7 year life; after that the speed of tech change would make an 8 year old car feel not much fun anymore; that various expensive parts would need replacing anyway after 7 years (clutch, alternators, exhausts, water pumps etc). This became a self-fulfilling prophecy: not long after this review 2nd hand prices for 8 Yr old cars plummeted; Kia sold cars with 7 yr warranties; new cars needed expensive servicing, scheduled at what might be an average 7 year mileage point, such as fan belts and water pumps - that need half the engine dismantling with ridiculous labour charges; and generally car owners became conditioned into accepting the 7 year predictable life span for a former new vehicle. Same for white goods, most electrical goods, etc, in fact its difficult to find much made in the last 10 years that endures. Our parents handed down stuff is still doing well for us and might yet get passed on. Can't see anything here of our more recent new purchases surviving us!! Digression over.
Thank you.

No, I don't have a spare. I never asked for one and my clinicians at the time never suggested I have one.

On pump now but would use pens for years, recall one being 5 years.

Before switching was using Echo pen so battery would fail eventually meaning to use memory function it had to be replaced, they could last as long as2 years.

If in doubt about accuracy change pen earlier, they are not that expensive anyway.
Thank you. I've used my pens for well over a decade now.

Thank you.

No, I don't have a spare. I never asked for one and my clinicians at the time never suggested I have one.

Always always have spare as they can break & malfunction, dropped one on floor & plastic cartridge holder broke.

BTW, like username, Sopranos fan by any chance.

If I were you, I would request new ones now and retire your current ones to the function of emergency replacement... whilst they are still working. Then if anything happens to the newer ones you have something to fall back on until you get a new replacement if that makes sense. Quite shocking that you haven't had a back up all these years and very fortunate that you haven't needed one!
There was a lady on my DAFNE course who had suffered regular severe nocturnal hypos, often causing unconsciousness, and daytime highs for many years. One of the problems they identified was that she was still using her extremely ancient injector "gun" (this thing looked like a skeleton handgun) and it was no longer accurate as the mechanism had worn. She was very petite and on tiny doses of insulin so the wear was enough to make quite a significant difference for her. I doubt there will be as much wear on our modern pens but there could well be some after 10 years of daily use.

Always always have spare as they can break & malfunction, dropped one on floor & plastic cartridge holder broke.

BTW, like username, Sopranos fan by any chance.
Thank you!

Sorry, yes I will from now on.

I am probably one of the few people on Earth who has never watched The Sopranos. My moniker comes from The Godfather (though I know from a friend there is a bar in The Sopranos named after the words Sonny Corleone says in Coppola's masterful film).

If I were you, I would request new ones now and retire your current ones to the function of emergency replacement... whilst they are still working. Then if anything happens to the newer ones you have something to fall back on until you get a new replacement if that makes sense. Quite shocking that you haven't had a back up all these years and very fortunate that you haven't needed one!
There was a lady on my DAFNE course who had suffered regular severe nocturnal hypos, often causing unconsciousness, and daytime highs for many years. One of the problems they identified was that she was still using her extremely ancient injector "gun" (this thing looked like a skeleton handgun) and it was no longer accurate as the mechanism had worn. She was very petite and on tiny doses of insulin so the wear was enough to make quite a significant difference for her. I doubt there will be as much wear on our modern pens but there could well be some after 10 years of daily use.
Thank you. Yes I will do so.

They are my "old faithfuls" though. They've never let me down. Yet. It will be like asking 007 not to drink a vodka martini again, or stop driving his beloved Aston Martin or stop using his trusted Walther PPK.

Thank you. Yes I will do so.

They are my "old faithfuls" though. They've never let me down. Yet. It will be like asking 007 not to drink a vodka martini again, or stop driving his beloved Aston Martin or stop using his trusted Walther PPK.
The lady I mentioned felt much the same about her "old faithful" .... she had been using this thing for 40 years and of course it is keeping you alive so it is understandable to become attached. Unfortunately hers had also become in danger of killing her. 😱 She is now on an insulin pump and managing much better. It was a very impressive bit of kit and looked like something out of an early Bond movie now you mention it.

Thank you!

Sorry, yes I will from now on.

I am probably one of the few people on Earth who has never watched The Sopranos. My moniker comes from The Godfather (though I know from a friend there is a bar in The Sopranos named after the words Sonny Corleone says in Coppola's masterful film).

Spoken by late great James Caan, great scene whete he is teasing his brother about shooting the corrupt police chief.

Film wise nothing could ever beat The Godfather, was reluctant to watch Sopranos but decided one night to give it go then me & wife were hooked, binge watched lot over no time at all, it's not The Godfather & never pretended to be, give it a go mate you won't regret it.

The lady I mentioned felt much the same about her "old faithful" .... she had been using this thing for 40 years and of course it is keeping you alive so it is understandable to become attached. Unfortunately hers had also become in danger of killing her. 😱 She is now on an insulin pump and managing much better. It was a very impressive bit of kit and looked like something out of an early Bond movie now you mention it.
I promise, first thing Monday I will contact My GP and get new pens.

Thank you!

I've got three Novo echo pens, one in use and two spare (?), All 10 years old!!

Never gave it a thought, spares as old as in use one. Hmm, need to think through a strategy.

I've got three Novo echo pens, one in use and two spare (?), All 10 years old!!

Never gave it a thought, spares as old as in use one. Hmm, need to think through a strategy.
The battery on your old unused ones is probably getting tired but the pens should function fine, but I would swap them over and keep the ones you are currently using for emergency spares and use the unused ones as your new pens. The only concern would be that the mechanism on the ones in use may be getting worn and not so accurate but the unused ones should be fine but the batteries may be on their way out. Or you could request replacements, bin the ones you have been using and keep the spares as emergency pens and use the new ones which will have working batteries. You might want to ask for the Novopen Echo Plus as it is a smart pen which can be scanned by your phone using the LibreLink app I believe.

Spoken by late great James Caan, great scene whete he is teasing his brother about shooting the corrupt police chief.

Film wise nothing could ever beat The Godfather, was reluctant to watch Sopranos but decided one night to give it go then me & wife were hooked, binge watched lot over no time at all, it's not The Godfather & never pretended to be, give it a go mate you won't regret it.
One day I have promised myself I will binge watch The Sopranos.

I promise, first thing Monday I will contact My GP and get new pens.

Thank you!
I just ring the company that provides mine (sanofi) and they post a new one (free) when needed

Thank you.

My pens were made by Novo Nordisk.

I've been looking on the Internet and wouldn't mind getting one of these new fanglsmartpens: the NovoPen 6 or NovoPen Echo Plus which I can use to transfer insulin dosing to the Freestyle LibreLink app via NFC.

I have no doubt my clinicians will have to prescribe one of them for me or I will have to buy one.

Thank you.

My pens were made by Novo Nordisk.

I've been looking on the Internet and wouldn't mind getting one of these new fanglsmartpens: the NovoPen 6 or NovoPen Echo Plus which I can use to transfer insulin dosing to the Freestyle LibreLink app via NFC.

I have no doubt my clinicians will have to prescribe one of them for me or I will have to buy one.
I had no problem getting my GP to prescribe my new pens. I happened to be seeing the Practice nurse and asked on the grounds that the NovoEcho allowed me to dose half-units and that I felt the benefit to the environment was important in this day and age.

I think if you just point out that your existing pens are a good age already and it's time that you caught up with the available new tech - hence the NovoPen Echo Plus would be appropriate.

I recommend getting two different colours, although I appreciate you are already sufficiently experienced to be unlikely to confuse your insulins; and if you do want the 2 different colours the prescription must get this exactly right. My Surgery used the part number for a blue pen, wrote that it was to be red and the Pharmacy used the given part number to provide a blue pen; once it had been delivered they couldn't take it back. Not the end of the world!

When I switched from Lantus to Levemir the DSN put 2 new Novopen 6 on my prescription, no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back