Dupuytren's contracture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Oldfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've had a tentative diagnosis (just over the phone with Dr looking at a picture) of Dupuytren's contracture. In person appointment to check that out booked for next week.

Assuming the diagnosis is correct, and that I've caught it fairly early, does anyone have any info on what I can expect next?

Note that it looks to be very good news about a possible 'game changing' treatment as below, but just wondering what the current state of play is.

My father and brother were/are affected and I have had a couple of small problems, but they did not develop, and at the moment both sites are free of any sticking, but I can feel them being not the same as they were before. Being a musician I am perhaps hyper noticing of changes.
My father lived for many years with the condition, and my brother reported his fingers bending inwards quite a while ago. Dad never had any treatment - probably not even a diagnosis, but my brother's was confirmed soon after it was detected.
Some of the treatments were rather draconian - one person I met had had the side of her hand removed to resolve the problem with her smallest finger, but that was quite a severe case and some time ago now.
I know that various injections have been tried in the past, with some success but I would think that this latest announcement is due to something very effective being found as otherwise they would not be so cock a hoop about it.

My father and brother were/are affected and I have had a couple of small problems, but they did not develop, and at the moment both sites are free of any sticking, but I can feel them being not the same as they were before. Being a musician I am perhaps hyper noticing of changes.
My father lived for many years with the condition, and my brother reported his fingers bending inwards quite a while ago. Dad never had any treatment - probably not even a diagnosis, but my brother's was confirmed soon after it was detected.
Some of the treatments were rather draconian - one person I met had had the side of her hand removed to resolve the problem with her smallest finger, but that was quite a severe case and some time ago now.
I know that various injections have been tried in the past, with some success but I would think that this latest announcement is due to something very effective being found as otherwise they would not be so cock a hoop about it.
Thanks for the info @Drummer

Had follow up face to face with GP today and that's confirmed diagnosis. Next up is an appointment with a physio in a couple of weeks time. Stupidly, I completely forgot to ask about the breakthrough treatment so will save that question for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back