• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Dry Mouth

MrsAA

I have suffered with a dry mouth (only at night or during the day if I get anxious) I mentioned this to a GP over 2 years ago and she said i was probably sleeping with my mouth open, to drink more water and use a nasal spray...I did all this and still it persisted...i Know it’s a sign of diabetes but I’m pretty sure that back then my levels hadn’t quite reached the pre diabetic range...I’m now 2 weeks in with much lower carbs (between 50-70g per day) and am drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day as my GP instructed (my kidney function test was a little low)...yet this dry mouth at night is still there...I take Amitriptyline at night and have done for a couple of years....I know one of the side effects of this medication can be a dry mouth. I’m trying to work out if the dry mouth is due to my (most likely) T2 diagnosis or more likely to be the medication? Should I have noticed any improvement by now if it was just down to my diagnosis?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have suffered with a dry mouth (only at night or during the day if I get anxious) I mentioned this to a GP over 2 years ago and she said i was probably sleeping with my mouth open, to drink more water and use a nasal spray...I did all this and still it persisted...i Know it’s a sign of diabetes but I’m pretty sure that back then my levels hadn’t quite reached the pre diabetic range...I’m now 2 weeks in with much lower carbs (between 50-70g per day) and am drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day as my GP instructed (my kidney function test was a little low)...yet this dry mouth at night is still there...I take Amitriptyline at night and have done for a couple of years....I know one of the side effects of this medication can be a dry mouth. I’m trying to work out if the dry mouth is due to my (most likely) T2 diagnosis or more likely to be the medication? Should I have noticed any improvement by now if it was just down to my diagnosis?
Well if the Amitriptyline can cause dry mouth and you were on it then , it is more the likely cause.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dry mouth (aside from the raging thirst people often get before diagnosis) is not often mentioned on the forum, so it sounds like it may well be worth asking your GP if there is an alternative to Amitriptyline you could try?

MrsAA

Dry mouth (aside from the raging thirst people often get before diagnosis) is not often mentioned on the forum, so it sounds like it may well be worth asking your GP if there is an alternative to Amitriptyline you could try?
Thanks, I often see the “raging thirst” mentioned, i have never had that, in fact i don’t think I had any symptoms at all..haven’t felt any different to what I have for the past 50+ years I’ve been alive...will ask the GP if there is an alternative, it’s prescribed for pain rather than as an anti depressant..supposed to help me sleep (haha...what’s sleep!)