Dry mouth and urinating

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyB61

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone have any advice ? I have a really dry mouth in the night every night and go to the toilet at leat 5 times throughout the night, does anyone know why or how I can resolve this?

Does anyone have any advice ? I have a really dry mouth in the night every night and go to the toilet at leat 5 times throughout the night, does anyone know why or how I can resolve this?
Have you seen a doctor?
Get them to check your hba1c.

This is usually because your blood glucose levels are too high, these are familiar symptoms and something which often sends somebody to their GP and they then have their diagnosis. Actually drinking plenty will help flush excess glucose from your system.
If this is happening consistently then you probably need to review your intake of carbohydrates as that will be contributing to high blood glucose level.

Yes, I am type 2 but not on any meds as the doctor wants me to try to control it with diet first, I have hardly any sleep with my constant thirst and trips to the toilet throughout the night

Yes, I am type 2 but not on any meds as the doctor wants me to try to control it with diet first, I have hardly any sleep with my constant thirst and trips to the toilet throughout the night

Do you have a glucose meter to test your blood sugar at home? It sounds like your blood sugar might be high, so it would be good to check that. If not your blood sugar, could it be hormonal or a UTI?

sounds like classic signs of high sugars, what was your latest Hba1c ?

sounds like classic signs of high sugars, what was your latest Hba1c ?
I can’t remember it was nearly 12 months ago I know I was just in the diabetic range so he didn’t put me on meds I’ve got to wait until July for another test

I would get yourself to a pharmacy tomorrow and ask if they can test your BG levels there and then (a spot finger prick check). Maybe ring round and see which local pharmacies will do that for you. It sounds like your levels may have suddenly gone very high. Have you had Covid as that can trigger things to get suddenly worse? Could I ask if you are carrying much/any excess weight and have you lost any weight recently and if so, how easy was it? ..... Just wondering if you might be another late onset Type 1, particularly if you have modified your diet in the last 10-11months since your diagnosis and levels have now shot up.
Ideally a GP appointment should be organized at the earliest possible opportunity but we know that getting an appointment is not always easy, so a spot check at the pharmacy might be the quickest route to establishing what your BG levels are doing. That level of thirst and urination would indicate a rather high BG if it is diabetes related. I would guess possibly in excess of 15 mmols/litre which would be a red flag for prompt medical attention. Let us know how you get on and if you start to feel ill.... sickness, stomach pains or respiratory distress, get yourself to hospital, especially if your breath starts to smell like pear drops.

I would get yourself to a pharmacy tomorrow and ask if they can test your BG levels there and then (a spot finger prick check). Maybe ring round and see which local pharmacies will do that for you. It sounds like your levels may have suddenly gone very high. Have you had Covid as that can trigger things to get suddenly worse? Could I ask if you are carrying much/any excess weight and have you lost any weight recently and if so, how easy was it? ..... Just wondering if you might be another late onset Type 1, particularly if you have modified your diet in the last 10-11months since your diagnosis and levels have now shot up.
Ideally a GP appointment should be organized at the earliest possible opportunity but we know that getting an appointment is not always easy, so a spot check at the pharmacy might be the quickest route to establishing what your BG levels are doing. That level of thirst and urination would indicate a rather high BG if it is diabetes related. I would guess possibly in excess of 15 mmols/litre which would be a red flag for prompt medical attention. Let us know how you get on and if you start to feel ill.... sickness, stomach pains or respiratory distress, get yourself to hospital, especially if your breath starts to smell like pear drops.
I could get up four times a night and drink two pints of water before I was diagnosed.
But it is time to get back to see the doctor.

It has been suggested that this may be a case of late onset T1. I agree, and if it is then the case is far more urgent that waiting for an appointment will allow.

Make every effort to get a BG test done as soon as possible. Go to A and E if need be. A result in the mid teens confirms that the diabetes is out of control.

They should follow this up with a ketone test and any +ve result is a strong indicator of T1.

The tests are quick, cheap and are done often in A & E.

Thank you for that will call the doctor tomorrow

Absolute waste of time, I’ve just got to wait until my next Hab1c test in December not July as I thought and lose weight and do more exercise x
Actually, in isolation that is good advice.
But the context sucks.

If you have got a blood glucose monitor you can test your level and if high you have evidence to present to your GP.
That will strengthen your case for an HbA1C test sooner rather than later.

First of all how much water are you drinking? If you are urinating large amounts frequently it must be replaced and to be able to say L need to drink X pints a day is more helpful than "a lot".

Do NOT stop drinking.

When BG is very high the kidneys attempt to flush the excess glucose out in the urine. This is what may be happening here. Why has the BG gone up rather than come down if you have cut down on the amount of carbs that you are eating?

One explanation might be that you are not T2 but a late onset T1. In such a case the ability to produce insulin slowly diminishes over time. Not enough insulin BG goes up.

If it is true that you need to drink lots of water, and you have reduced your intake of carbs (sugars and starches) then why not go to A & E and say "I think I might be a late onset T1, can you set my mind at rest?" You may get the answer in 10 mins, and it could save your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back