Driving and hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay my thoughts, I drive a fair bit sometimes round the corner sometimes the length of the UK.

The rules are there for a reason and we should all follow them, if any situation happens insurance will be an issue as will police, and perhaps more importantly the safety of others.

However I often drive without testing, I know what I was the last meal time and if I've eaten the usual amount etc etc, so I know I'll be safe to drive. I always have food in car so if I'm feeling low, or more likely just to make sure there is no chance of me going low I'll munch on something. I often end the journey higher than low as I do munch.

On a long drive I will stop and test, every 2-3 hours, generally to check I'm not too high, sometimes wifey tests me whilst driving, and may even inject me whilst driving.

Also the guide line of 5mmols well sometimes I can feel odd at 5, so I would say they are guidelines and although should be obeyed we know our bodies better.

I once got out the car and felt like I was floating I tested and was 3.3, not good I sat for the 45mins as that was not because of DVLA guidelines, it was that was what I needed to do to get in a position that I felt safe to drive.

This has only happened once and I have learnt a lot since then, and my control has improved, luckily nothing happened!

I don't get stressed or road rage and know that my levels are pretty well controlled so I appreciate I may be in a better (not best word) position than some.

Finally I would happily drive on 4.x, but would probably pop a few sweets, or more depending on what I've been doing.

Just my thoughts,

Rossi.

No marge, if it's below 4 you are supposed to wait 45mins for the brain to recover. Quoting from the DVLA : Drivers do not need to tell DVLA if their diabetes is treated by tablets, diet or both unless you have certain complications, which include disabling hypos, more than one in a year and one whilst driving. I see nothing on the diabetes uk website that specifies bg readings, maybe they phoned them.

Of course if you were driving and had a reading below 5 you would have a snack, but you would have to re-test to make sure you were above 5 before setting off, so it would depend how quick the snack got to your fingers (presumably you should have to wash your hands first or the snack would get to your fingers immediately🙄)

No marge, if it's below 4 you are supposed to wait 45mins for the brain to recover. Quoting from the DVLA : Drivers do not need to tell DVLA if their diabetes is treated by tablets, diet or both unless you have certain complications, which include disabling hypos, more than one in a year and one whilst driving. I see nothing on the diabetes uk website that specifies bg readings, maybe they phoned them.

Of course if you were driving and had a reading below 5 you would have a snack, but you would have to re-test to make sure you were above 5 before setting off, so it would depend how quick the snack got to your fingers (presumably you should have to wash your hands first or the snack would get to your fingers immediately🙄)

I am not sure what you are saying no to. My comment on informing the DVLA was true and at the time I was diagnosed you had to inform the DVLA if you were on tablets - they have subsequently changed their guidelines but all I am saying is there was a point of time when it was more than just people on insulin who had to tell the DVLA and maybe that info is still out there.

I never said drive if your levels are below 4. If you read the leaflet I added a link to earlier it says

"Do not drive if you feel hypoglycaemic or if your blood glucose is less than 4.0 mmol/l. "

Then there is the advice on treating they hypo and waiting 45 minutes.

Then later again it says
"Check blood glucose before driving (even on short journeys) and test regularly (every 2 hours) on long journeys. If blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a snack before driving."

They are direct quotes from the leaflet " a Guide to Insulin treated Diabetes and driving".

What I was trying to say (badly) was that first quote may have been where the article had got the 4 from - they may not have read any further. I was not saying that the 4 was correct - just suggesting how they may have arrived at it.

Also, I think I'm right in saying that if you do go hypo while driving, the advice is:

1. Pull over when safe to do so
2. Switch off the ignition and remove the keys
3. Sit in the passenger seat if possible

If you just pull over and sit there in the drivers seat, then technically you are still deemed as using the vehicle and can be charged - think it's with one of the dangerous driving / due care and attention / under the influence type offences!

Then you need to sort yourself out with some rapid acting carbs (lucozade, fruit juice, jelly babies, etc).

NiVZ

how low would you let you BG be for you to eat befor you drove ?
And do you think if you drive while your in the 4 ranges and you drive with out eating do you think thats dangerous?

Im presuming you drive? If so, and you are treated with insulin you MUST inform the DVLA by law. I was told this several times on diagnosis. I wont go into the rules they have already been mentioned.

However, if you have not informed the DVLA you are driving illegally, as they need to decide which license to give you, they will take away your permanent license immediately, although you may still drive. They require further info from you regarding eye tests etc. They will then issue you with either a 3 or 1 year licence. It is the law and it is there to protect us all. Your new licence will be reviewed every time it expires to make sure you are still safe to drive, ie eye problems, disabling hypos etc.

Worried me terribly at first as I drive a lot. But I always test before i drive, unless like Rossi menioned I have litterally just eaten and bolused, as I would have tested very recently. I always test approx 1 and half hours into a long journey and always have coke, lucozade, glucotabs in the car.

Happy driving, play by the rules and stay safe! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back