Drinks after work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawlessd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys,

I'm 36 and type 1 since March 09.

I've obviously got loads to learn so i'll probably ask loads of dumb questions in the future!

Work in the city of London and used to enjoy 3/4 pints after work on a Friday.
I found this really enjoyable and relaxing.

Since being diagnosed not been drunk once!.
I feel too paranoid to drink more than one beer at the moment in case something goes wrong and the more i read about it the more confused
i'm getting.

Would really appreciate it if you guys could let me know how you do things in the 'Real World'.

Up for some buddies to help me along with 'diabetes situations" if anyone interested?.

Thanks for listening

Hi Guys,

I'm 36 and type 1 since March 09.

I've obviously got loads to learn so i'll probably ask loads of dumb questions in the future!

Work in the city of London and used to enjoy 3/4 pints after work on a Friday.
I found this really enjoyable and relaxing.

Since being diagnosed not been drunk once!.
I feel too paranoid to drink more than one beer at the moment in case something goes wrong and the more i read about it the more confused
i'm getting.

Would really appreciate it if you guys could let me know how you do things in the 'Real World'.

Up for some buddies to help me along with 'diabetes situations" if anyone interested?.

Thanks for listening

Hello and Welcome to the forum :D Alcohol tends to effect each of us differently so you may find you have to experiment abit to see whats best for you. It tends to make me go a little higher so I cover the Carbs with Insulin, I know alot of type 1's don't do this but eat extra Carbs to avoid Alcohol induced hypos , some also wait till the morning after and if they are running higher correct with their breakfast. It is very much trial and error I think , to err on the side of caution until you know how it effects you is a good move ! :D There are no stupid questions and anything you want to know just ask :D

Hi Dave, I was diagnosed Type 1 at 49, so I know how difficult it can be to suddenly have to consider carefully all the things you took for granted prior to diagnosis. You're right to be cautious - I was too. I used to be quite a regular and fairly heavy drinker, but when I was diagnosed (May 2008) for some reason I completly stopped. Gradually, after tiring of diet coke, I started to enjoy a pint or two again. You need to be careful about alcohol, because it can push your levels up, then drop them down quite low as it stops the liver releasing 'background' glucose whilst it's occupied processing the alcohol. It really is trial and error to determine how much you can safely drink, and whether you need to dose insulin for it, or snack whilst drinking etc.

I have found that I don't need to inject extra insulin to deal with the carbs in alcohol, and generally I don't drop too low, so I could have your 3/4 pints on occasion without too much problem. The thing to remember is that the more you drink, the more difficult it is to determine whether you are dropping low (without testing), or whether it is the alcohol that is making you feel light-headed. Things like glucagon have no effect after drinking - another consideration. Plus, drinking will push up your blood pressure, which can have consequences for microvascular complications like kidney disease and retinopathy.

It's a balancing act, like much to do with diabetes! And, unfortunately, there are no hard and fast rules, just experience. You WILL be able to enjoy a pint or two again, but take your time to learn how it affects you, and choose the occasion so that you can enjoy those pints!🙂

Woops- I have done exactly what anne-marie did and wandered over from the other thread...

Anyway hello again!

Wise words there from N! I agree. Its something that will take time for you to esablish back into your routine. You are reasonably new in diagnosis too and I think its a question of regaining your confidence again with alcohol.

I still drink, in terms of 'holding onto the floor' I havent been that drunk since diabetes! I am nervous to loose my ability to deal with a hypo or testing so chose not to go bonkers. I know a couple of type 1's though (coincidentally city workers like yourself) who still enjoy a good old booze up...! So enjoying alcohol is still on the cards!

I find it much easier if I meeting with people to have a few drinks in the afternoon or at lunchtime so that I am asleep on the effects of alcohol throughout the night. That might be a good way for you to work you can cope with. I usually have alcohol over a meal too just to keep me covered. Where there's a will there's a way Dave, dont panic 😉

Lou

hello and welcome to the forum. i think in the begining we are all paranoid about the diabetes, there is always something to learn.

My suggestion is to keep checking and see how your system reacts. Because the liver is busy dealing with the alchohol, it doesn't dump glucose ino the system, so make sure you have something to eat. Alcohol affects us all differently, after a couple of glasses of wine I am quite merry.

Relax enjoy a drink and the company. I'm sure you will be fine.

Hi Lawless D
I was also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a young adult (aged 30 years), but female, and rarely drank more than 2 pints of beer or cider on any occasion before diagnosis, and have continued with that limit since diagnosis, more because I chose to spend money on other things than because diabetes.
I'd suggest you try a night out with 1 pint of beer at some stage and diet soft drinks for the rest of the time, and gradually build up to your previous 3 to 4 pints. Not sure when you fit in your evening meal with the drinking, but I prefer to eat around 6pm to 7pm, regardless of diabetes (can eat at any time, due to basal bolus insulin regime) or alcohol intake. In any case, make sure you eat some carbohydrate and have some insulin and drink some water before bed - it will take some time to work out exact ratios, and these will change, as for some months after diagnosis, you will probably be in the honeymoon phase when your pancreas is probably producing some insulin.
I can assure you that I will be drinking beer after helping to register competitors and marshal for London Rat Race on Sat 26th Sept, before cycling and getting the train home! If there's a rail strike and I have to drive part of the way, then I won't drink any alcohol, but that's completely unrelated to diabetes, just that I prefer not to drink any alcohol before driving.

Hi Lawlessd,

All the advice the others have said is exactly what I would have said. Everyone is different and it's really trial and error. Maybe take your meter out with you a few times and test every hour. Once you're confident enough you know what it does you wouldn't need to take your meter all the time.

Different alcohols (spirits, wine, beer, alcopops, etc) affect BG differently. Beer has carbs in it so tends to push blood sugar up a little at first, but then the alcohol kicks in after a while and brings you're blood sugar down again (sometimes lower than what it started at). Thats why a lot of diabetics eat a snack on the way home or once they get home.

Me personally, I just make sure my sugars are a little higher before I go out, don't take any insulin while I'm drinking and just correct the next morning.

Good luck with it all

NiVZ.

Hi Lawlessd,

Ah booze, what a wonderful problem for us diabetics. Personally I find that I'm normally a little more sensitive to insulin the morning after. Today, after last night's activities I've got ketones. What I would suggest is get some carbs on board after a night out and drink plenty of water to help flush any ketones (if any out of your system) and to keep you hydrated. As a rule which I occaisionally break I don't drink more than five pints of an evening. Last night was different however, pub crawl...I'd also suggest that you check for ketones the morning after just to be on the safe side.

Tom

Afternoon, sherry anyone?

Right, okay, hello welcome. I too got diagnosed well into a successful career of regular drinking!

First off as others say we all react differently so be careful don't do anything "crazy" and safe trial and error is best, make sure those around you are aware of your condition, and know what to do if you go hypo.

I cut back a bit at first, well mon to fri at least. I do not cover the beer with insulin at all, I test in the pub or wherever I am often and don't get freaked out if into the teens. I also eat carbs on way home or at home before kipping. I'd eat more carbs if on the shorts, and may even have a full fat coke if on the spirits big time.

I would suggest slowly upping your amount from 1 or 2 pints, to next time 2 or 3 and so on, and eventually you'll hopefull know what you can handle.

Good luck, and play safe.

Rossi

Here's a poem I wrote about the effects of alcohol when mixed with diabetes:

rollercoaster.jpg

Come, climb aboard the Beer-O-Coaster,
You?ll find it an exciting ride!
First you?ll find your levels rising,
Just before that rapid slide!

The Beer-O-Coaster makes you dizzy,
Are you high or are you low?
It will keep your liver busy,
Help reduce the glucose flow?

Through the night and through the morning,
Feel your sugars hit the floor!
Better heed the doctor?s warning ?
Build a carbohydrate store!

When you ride the Beer-O-Coaster,
Eat some food with every drink,
And before your senses leave you,
Make sure you stay in the pink!

Lots more poems on my blog! http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/

:D

Thanks for todays input, all begining to make more sense already!

just a quick question please. I understand everythings gonna be trial and error, but as a starting block when you talk of taking carbs before sleeping, are we saying 2 slices of toast/sandwich or just something small like bag of crisps etc.

For an example if you had 3 bottles of becks/bud between 8 and 11 what carbs might you have?? and would they normally be when you get home??

I currently use humalog and a 10 shot of Lantus before sleeping.

Cheers all.

3 bottles of lager over 3 hours, I wouldn't worry too much about eating loads of carbs, so for me (again it's a personnal thing) one slice of toast or 2 or 3 digetives would feel like enough to soak up the alcohol. What I might have done tho is if I was eating at 7 prior to going out, I wouldn't inject the usual insulin for the meal, I would under cut the amount I inject as I knew I was going out on the sauce. But then again every time your body can be in different moods(!) so I would always test along the way. Also I take my levemir in the pub loo's around 10pm as I use the buttocks!.

I wonder what others think....

I agree with the others have said - its all about trial and error.

For me i cant drink beer any more, its sends me on a huge spike and makes me feel ill by the end of the night. I prefer wine, but this always gives me bad hypos the next morning, i still drink it but make sure im prepared! If im out and i know im going to have more wine than i should 🙂D) i tend to have a packet or two of crisps or small bowl of chips or something like that whilst im drinking.

If im really being naughty and drinking alot, ill have a kebab or something like that on the way home, and do maybe a third or half a dose depending on the size of the meal? I find having something fatty aswell as carby helps hold my levels better through till morning after a heavy night!

I also keep digestives in my bedside drawer anyway for night hypos as i find them easier to eat than sugar tablets at 3am! Theyre good if you need to eat but might be feeling a little worse for wear from the night before too.

But definately test frequently whilst youre learning how different drinks affect you. If you get a big spike though, a few drinks in, dont be tempted to do a big correction dose as youll find you drop anyway with any alcohol.

Hey,

Nivz Tom Rossi Vicki and Northener thanks for the replies.

You don't know how much better i feel about all this diabetes stuff since joining this forum on Friday!

Rossi, whats the Levimar at 10 o/clock (the once a day insulin???)

Nice poem Northerner!

Levemir is the Basal Insulin (slow acting ) Sometimes taken once a day or some of us do a split dose 12 hours-ish apart as Levemir doesnt always last 24 hours and can "run out" Another Basal is Lantus .

Thanks. Equivalent of my Lantus

Yes thats right , Lantus is a Basal Insulin too , they are the background Insulins. The fast acting Insulins , Novo Rapid , Humalog etc are the Bolus Insulins taken with meals 🙂

Hey,

Nivz Tom Rossi Vicki and Northener thanks for the replies.

You don't know how much better i feel about all this diabetes stuff since joining this forum on Friday!

Nice poem Northerner!

Re. about feeling better since joining this forum
I joined about 1 hr ago after a terrible 4 days and blood tests this morning and already i am feeling better...thank you i will now carry on browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back