Doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
After a lot of soul searching I decided to remove the sensor on Friday morning after a shower. I did it for my mental health and sanity; I have been off it for over 24 hrs and I feel happier.

I haven't posted on the Diabetes FB group as my last post, I felt, was misinterpreted: someone assumed that "by removing my sensor I am pretending that my blood glucose levels will be fine". This wasn't and isnt true. I don't know that they will or won't but my mental health wasn't being helped agonising over high readings which sometimes I wasn't able to do anything about.

I have heard about the Guggluco app on Google Play for Android phones that converts libre 2 into a cgm. Has anyone used/using this? How easy is it to set up? If it's any good based on ease of set up ie just downloading the app and linking it to libre and is reliable I might, only might mind, get another sensor.

I'm aware that Abbotts don't like these apps however as it affects their profits regarding Libre 3 and future developments but, if they made libre 2 more accessible to those who are not eligible to get it on prescription and Libre 3 was available for people who self fund to buy now, people wouldn't have to resort to these apps in the first place whether they self fund or not.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my previous posts on removing the sensor. I may be one of those for whom the Libre doesn't work in a psychological sense.

You can also use diabox, I tried juggluco, but found it a bit confusing to use and the app caused massive battery drain on my smartwatch.

You can also use diabox, I tried juggluco, but found it a bit confusing to use and the app caused massive battery drain on my smartwatch.
I have an android phone would Diabox work. Also is it a case of download the app and link to the Libre. It needs to be this straight forward for somebody who is not technically minded.

I have an android phone would Diabox work. Also is it a case of download the app and link to the Libre. It needs to be this straight forward for somebody who is not technically minded.
Yes, Google diabox download as it's not available in the play store, install on phone , scan your libre , done . Here is a screenshot from my phone.Screenshot_20221030-091703_DiaBox.jpg

After a lot of soul searching I decided to remove the sensor on Friday morning after a shower. I did it for my mental health and sanity; I have been off it for over 24 hrs and I feel happier.

I haven't posted on the Diabetes FB group as my last post, I felt, was misinterpreted: someone assumed that "by removing my sensor I am pretending that my blood glucose levels will be fine". This wasn't and isnt true. I don't know that they will or won't but my mental health wasn't being helped agonising over high readings which sometimes I wasn't able to do anything about.

I have heard about the Guggluco app on Google Play for Android phones that converts libre 2 into a cgm. Has anyone used/using this? How easy is it to set up? If it's any good based on ease of set up ie just downloading the app and linking it to libre and is reliable I might, only might mind, get another sensor.

I'm aware that Abbotts don't like these apps however as it affects their profits regarding Libre 3 and future developments but, if they made libre 2 more accessible to those who are not eligible to get it on prescription and Libre 3 was available for people who self fund to buy now, people wouldn't have to resort to these apps in the first place whether they self fund or not.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my previous posts on removing the sensor. I may be one of those for whom the Libre doesn't work in a psychological sense.
Hi,

I had a difficult time when I first started using the libre. The diabetes nurse told me to stop using the libre and try again later. It was such a change seeing continuous readings (from finger pricking), trying not to react to every moment, it became overwhelming. So i fully understand why the libre isn't for everyone.

Yes, Google diabox download as it's not available in the play store, install on phone , scan your libre , done . Here is a screenshot from my phone.View attachment 22722
Okay thanks it's that simple. So you scan your libre to start then when the 60mins are up scan again as you would then don't have to bother again? Just one more thing is the diabox download free?

I always start my libre with the official app, then do my first scan with it, once it's up and running I then scan with diabox and that's it.
I still scan every few hours with the FreeStyle app as this uploads my info to my surgery via libreview .

Hi,

I had a difficult time when I first started using the libre. The diabetes nurse told me to stop using the libre and try again later. It was such a change seeing continuous readings (from finger pricking), trying not to react to every moment, it became overwhelming. So i fully understand why the libre isn't for everyone.
You said such a change seeing continuous readings from finger pricking are you using Libre 3 as Libre 2 isn't a cgm so unless I am wrong you don't get continuous readings you have to scan.

With the previous four sensors including the trial sensor I was okay with the readings so I am wondering if it was my response to replies to my posts, which I will admit, could have been made clearer sometimes. I have decided if I do get another Libre sensor I am not going to post about it and keep it to myself. Most of the people who commented on my FB diabetes group posts are type 1 (I am type 2 not on insulin or medication that might cause a hypo so my objectives are different).

Thank you for your reply and understanding.

This just proves that everyone is different 🙂 There is no right or wrong way in how you manage your diabetes. If you are happier with finger pokes, then that's the way to go 🙂

I always start my libre with the official app, then do my first scan with it, once it's up and running I then scan with diabox and that's it.
I still scan every few hours with the FreeStyle app as this uploads my info to my surgery via libreview .
Okay thanks. I don't send my info to my surgery as they haven't requested it as I am not getting libre 2 on prescription.

This just proves that everyone is different 🙂 There is no right or wrong way in how you manage your diabetes. If you are happier with finger pokes, then that's the way to go 🙂
Hi thank you however I won't be finger pricking either. I started using the Libre 2 to avoid this. I hadn't tested for years following initial diagnosis and my control indicated by my HbA1cs showed I had good control.

I started testing as a Dr called saying that if my HbA1c didn't reduce I could end up on insulin. This scared me and I started finger pricking and my HbA1c came down and it reduced further after using Libre (trial sensor plus 4 more sensors excluding the current one that I removed)

Like you say though it proves everyone is different and there's no right or wrong way of managing diabetes.

You said such a change seeing continuous readings from finger pricking are you using Libre 3 as Libre 2 isn't a cgm so unless I am wrong you don't get continuous readings you have to scan.

With the previous four sensors including the trial sensor I was okay with the readings so I am wondering if it was my response to replies to my posts, which I will admit, could have been made clearer sometimes. I have decided if I do get another Libre sensor I am not going to post about it and keep it to myself. Most of the people who commented on my FB diabetes group posts are type 1 (I am type 2 not on insulin or medication that might cause a hypo so my objectives are different).

Thank you for your reply and understanding.
Hi,

I started on libre1, now on 2.

What I meant about continuous readings was the continuous graph libre provides. Unlike finger pricks isolated points in time. Yes, like you say, you have to physically scan the sensor to see the continuous graph.

Mine fell off at work last night, was like losing a limb. Instead of carbing up I've been pinging off the alarms with jelly babies. Cannot believe I become a libra junkie in 2 weeks. Its all consuming.

Any linkage for diabox cannot find it anywhere

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221030_110654_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221030_110654_Chrome.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2
Actually, Libre 2 is formally recognised as CGM, but needing intermittent scans (hence = isCGM). Others that transmit to phones or readers continuously are known as real time (hence = rtCGM).

In practice Libre2 is transmitting every minute and is theoretically an rtCGM, which was an upgrade from the original Libre. But Abbott chose, for whatever reason, to not capitalise on that opportunity and so neither the Libre2 reader nor the LibreLink app provide visibility of those continuous readings.

This potential was recognised by various people and they created apps to take advantage of the rtCGM. Diabox is one such example, written by a diabetic tech, with a clear focus on what info diabetic folks actually need (which doesn't always feel like that with LibreLink) and the Diabox app has a small group of diabetic 'scrutineers' who amongst other things allocate priorities to the Diabox geek for what aspect of the app should be tweaked. So it gets regular updates. Which means a free app created by people who personally need it, for other people who need it.
With the previous four sensors including the trial sensor I was okay with the readings so I am wondering if it was my response to replies to my posts, which I will admit, could have been made clearer sometimes. I have decided if I do get another Libre sensor I am not going to post about it and keep it to myself.
Elsewhere you mentioned a Dr phoning you and voicing a concern to you about your HbA1c rising such that you might need to go onto insulin. That alone might be a good reason to keep trying using Libre as well as finger pricking when appropriate - and yes if that helps you inwardly do keep your own counsel about what its telling you. It doesn't stop you monitoring yourself, or monitoring chit chat on this forum, OR asking a generic question when you might need a better understanding.

There are terrific and simple tech aids to help you manage your diabetes these days. The alternatives to not managing well can be truly horrible. And time (= age!) does mean that things change. What former techniques worked in previous years may no longer be OK today.
Most of the people who commented on my FB diabetes group posts are type 1 (I am type 2 not on insulin or medication that might cause a hypo so my objectives are different).
Of course, different needs are natural. But tech has a place for you, not just for hypo alerts. Staying in range is good for all diabetics. NB, I have stopped using FB; I found it time consuming, intrusive and for little or no gain.

Found it on telegraph they are blocking it on Google play etc. Very good. Libra could have done it all along but then they couldn't put the price up on libra 3 then could they.

Very good. Libra could have done it all along but then they couldn't put the price up on libra 3 then could they.
I really doubt that's what it's about. There's surely too much competition now, at about that price point. Could they really increase the price very much? A bit, maybe, but I doubt Libre 2 as an rtCGM would hinder that any more than Dexcom One already does.

Found it on telegraph they are blocking it on Google play etc. Very good. Libra could have done it all along but then they couldn't put the price up on libra 3 then could they.
I thought Libre 3 was expected to be the same price as Libre 2?

Hi thank you however I won't be finger pricking either. I started using the Libre 2 to avoid this. I hadn't tested for years following initial diagnosis and my control indicated by my HbA1cs showed I had good control.

I started testing as a Dr called saying that if my HbA1c didn't reduce I could end up on insulin. This scared me and I started finger pricking and my HbA1c came down and it reduced further after using Libre (trial sensor plus 4 more sensors excluding the current one that I removed)

Like you say though it proves everyone is different and there's no right or wrong way of managing diabetes.
I have no idea about the price comparison or if it's relevant to you, but have you looked at the Dexcom G1? You don't need to scan with the G1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back