Does having high bloods cause excessive hunger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophieee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm not sure where I read it, but I'm sure I saw something that said a symptom of high bloods can be feeling VERY hungry. Does anyone know if this is true?

Im probs a queen of the high bloods but i aint ever had excessive hunger but it is mentioned in the symptoms
Need for frequent urination
Drowsiness
Nausea
Extreme hunger and/or thirst
Blurring of the vision

Im probs a queen of the high bloods but i aint ever had excessive hunger but it is mentioned in the symptoms
Need for frequent urination
Drowsiness
Nausea
Extreme hunger and/or thirst
Blurring of the vision

so you have heard of it then or was that a typo ? 😛
x

so you have heard of it then or was that a typo ? 😛
x

Where did i say i had not heard of it ? i said i had personally not ever experienced the syptom when i have had hypers

I don't know about having a feeling of excessive hunger when high, but I certainly have a feeling of excessive hunger when hypo.

Yes it does. When I was diagnosed, I had a blood glucose of 30, was always starving and never seemed to but weight on (and hadn't yet become ketoacidotic).

But i think you need a chronic hyper for that to happen (i.e. glucose has been out of control for a while, and not on insulin). You don't get it when you just didn't take enough insulin one time.

Yes it does. When I was diagnosed, I had a blood glucose of 30, was always starving and never seemed to but weight on (and hadn't yet become ketoacidotic).

But i think you need a chronic hyper for that to happen (i.e. glucose has been out of control for a while, and not on insulin). You don't get it when you just didn't take enough insulin one time.

I did nt know that thanks Lizzzie, im some one who has hypers every other day.

I've been running high for a number of months and been hungry ALL the time!! It gets quite annoying!!

High bloods always make me really hungry, so annoying as it's not exactly the best time for it!

I was eating loads just before I was diagnosed. I think it is because your body can not process the food properly as there is not enough insulin so keeps craving for more.

When O was diagnosed, he had BG of 27. And he had been starving!!
The day before we took him to the docs and he got diagnosed, he had toast, a bowl of cereal and then bacon, scrambled egg and beans for breakfast!! For dinner he had two servings of lasagne and pudding! I'd never known him to eat like that - ever! He had lost loads of weight though. I rememebr thinking ''he cant be ill, look how much he is eating'' despite the fact he looked malnourished - how wrong I was! He had the chronic thirst and need to wee lots too.

When we were in the hospital, the Doctor explained that hunger is a very common sign. Becuse no insulin is being produced, the sugar is staying in the blood and not being used for energy for the body to burn. So the body uses fat resources it already has, hence the weight loss, and then you feel more hungry to make up for it. Thats probably not the best explanation, but its the general gist!
He was hungry for a few weeks after, and I remember in the hospital he was crying for food, which on top of everything else , broke my heart.
His appetite soon went back to normal.

I dont think hunger is a general symptom of just a hypo though. As someone said before, its only if no insulin is on board and bloods have been high for some time.

Sorry, I meant HYPER, not HYPO!!

I'm always getting my hyps mixed up!!! 😛

I spend most of my days in double figures, but can't say it ever makes me feel ravenous... on the very odd occasion that I am low then I feel like some food.. This morning I was 8.9 when I got up which was novel for me, was 14.3 when I went to bed and the night before was 20.7 (tried 10 grapes lol).. I have 6 metformin 500mgs a day, Levemir 66u morning and night and Novorapid between 30 and 45u during the day...

Just done my sugars (2hr after eating) and it's 23.9.. I had a bowl of cereal and about 6 grapes and 40u of Novorapid.. don't feel high though..!

Last edited:
Hmm, before I was diagnosed I don't remember eating lots, just drinking lots! I drank twelve large glasses of water in one go! I remember my Uncle laughing and told me he'd send me the water bill 😛 but the last few months running high I certainly have been!!!!

Hmm, before I was diagnosed I don't remember eating lots, just drinking lots! I drank twelve large glasses of water in one go! I remember my Uncle laughing and told me he'd send me the water bill 😛 but the last few months running high I certainly have been!!!!

Before I was diagnosed I look back and realise that I was drinking like a fish, I couldn't even get through the night without getting up for a drink... and needing the bathroom after so much drinking..

I spend most of my days in double figures, but can't say it ever makes me feel ravenous... on the very odd occasion that I am low then I feel like some food.. This morning I was 8.9 when I got up which was novel for me, was 14.3 when I went to bed and the night before was 20.7 (tried 10 grapes lol).. I have 6 metformin 500mgs a day, Levemir 66u morning and night and Novorapid between 30 and 45u during the day...

Just done my sugars (2hr after eating) and it's 23.9.. I had a bowl of cereal and about 6 grapes and 40u of Novorapid.. don't feel high though..!

Hi Squidge,
You really shouldnt be spending your days in double figures. Perhaps you need to see your team and see if your meds need changing?:confused:🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back