Does anyone suffer depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a history of depression and other mental conditions on both sides of my family.

I had horrible depression when I was in my teens, and was contemplating suicide for about 2 years straight. I managed to keep it extremely well hidden from my family, until I came clean about it a few years back. I went and spoke to a doctor about it, and they didn't want to put me on meds, and referred me to an NHS psychotherapist. I made it to one session, since I really thought blaming my feelings on the fact I didn't own designer clothes was more than a LITTLE off bat, to put it lightly.

I don't know if there's something going around, but I'm feeling rather iffy emotionally at the moment as well. Hmm...

Worth seeing doc if feeling bad!

Hiya.

Until I had post natal depression after my first baby, I thought "I don't get depressed, I'll just muddle on!". In hindsight, I suspect I'd had depression at various time on & off over the years and I'm sure that adversely affected my diabetes control. Just to add to the fun, when my diabetes control slips, so does my mood - I feel awful!

I think half the trouble about making that step to get help is that it affects how you see things - so some of the comments above re not wanting to bother the doc etc really rang home with me. I would really, really recommend if anyone is feeling consistently down, sad, low, lethargic, etc, please do see your GP - they won't judge but will help you assess whether these feelings are transient or more serious, and how they can help. It doesn't have to be drugs, there is counselling etc too. One way they assess how you are is by asking you some questions that I think are called the Edinburgh scale - it's been a while since I went through this, but I think they include how you feel about things you used to enjoy doing, how you feel about food etc, how much energy you have, whether you have trouble sleeping, whether you find yourself crying sometimes, etc etc...

Honestly, please don't leave it - I put off seeking help for months when I was really miserable with PND & which I'd felt able to ask for help earlier - in the end i was prescribed citalopram, which helped calm things down. At the end of the day, it's not about muddling through, or getting on with it, it;s about sorting out a chemical inbalance - whether by therapy or medication - it's just like taking insulin to replace a missing hormone. 🙂

All the best, everyone!

Twitchy x

Hello, quite new here but think I'll get straight in and say that I was suffering from depression for about 2 years before I went to my GP and then on to therapy & medication. Apparently it is common amongst people with diabetes as insulin is a hormone and depression comes about due to an imbalance of hormones. Having said that I think a lot of 'normal' people suffer from depression as well so I don't feel the need to blame the diabetes.

One of the worst things about it is that you want to do less and less when in fact to feel better you need to do more and more (not easy when you suffer from panic attacks!).

I got a dog which combined with the therapy and medication completely cured me! I've been off meds for a year now and feeling great.

My advice is to try and do more every day and try and achieve some enjoyment out of the thing you do.

All the best,
x

I agree with you on the activities helping, Linsay. I struggled with depression after I got diagnosed, and it was so strange for me as I'd never felt that low before. And it seemed like there was no particular triggers - I could have a really nice day being sociable then just go home and cry all night (or burst into tears in Sainsbury's, as I did once). I didn't want to tell anyone, as I'm usually such a practical person.

The thing that helped for me was regular exercise, training for the Great North Run and going swimming once a week, and taking long walks in the countryside. Sorry if that doesn't help if you're agrophobic, Icey, would you be able to go walking with a friend or anything? Sorry, I don't know anything about agoraphobia or how it affects you.

It doesn't help with this weather. I really struggle to get out and about in good weather (I have panic attacks when I go out alone, mild agaraphobia or social phobia I assume) but I do force myself to go out with hubby or friends/family. But you take ten steps back when you cant get out, because you have to start getting used to it all over again.

Lisa I agree this weather and the dark nights don't help at all. When I have been stuck in for too long I get a flight feeling that I need to get out, right away.

I have noticed that not many Men have posted in here. I am taking medication for this i did come off them for a short while but i had to go back on them before Christmas. Some days its so hard to get a move on but with a young family I have to.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me i have done quite a lot of reading up on this subject and my wife works in the medical profession and her sister whom is a close friend work in the mental profession.

So no escape for me, its like having 5 mothers around the house sometimes with my two daughters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back