does anyone else doctors make this sort of mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be inclined to take the spares along to your diabetes clinic next time you go and offer them to the DSNs to distribute to newbies. That was how I got the little few that I have.... I think I was given a strip of 7 by the DSN on my DAFNE course which were close to expiry anyway, so long out of date now and thankfully never had to use them in anger although I did use one out of curiosity when they first went out of date.

Most pharmacists have a double checking system so it would have been two people's mistake if it was the pharmacy plus a third if you include the doctor who authorised the prescription. There is usually a maximum that they are allowed to prescribe for any items and I'm sure it would not have been that many for such a expensive and an item that would only be used as and when required rather than everyday. The system obviously broke down somewhere along the line.

NHS Indicative price has 300 Optium Ketone strips at £658.20

@EmmaL76 you are entitled to more than me, I only have 1 available request left for them and have only had 3 boxes since this time last year, I wouldn't have needed to order them if they had had a longer shelf life xx

Most pharmacists have a double checking system so it would have been two people's mistake if it was the pharmacy plus a third if you include the doctor who authorised the prescription. There is usually a maximum that they are allowed to prescribe for any items and I'm sure it would not have been that many for such a expensive and an item that would only be used as and when required rather than everyday. The system obviously broke down somewhere along the line.
well according to the pharmacist that's what the doctor told them I have no idea what happened. once I get my phone working I'm going to call my doctors to enquire I'm in process of looking to change doctors anyway.

NHS Indicative price has 300 Optium Ketone strips at £658.20

@EmmaL76 you are entitled to more than me, I only have 1 available request left for them and have only had 3 boxes since this time last year, I wouldn't have needed to order them if they had had a longer shelf life xx
Well that’s a bit tight!
Oh I never realised they had a short date on them best check mine, I have a couple of boxes. Do you not have enough to test when you need to then? Xx

Well that’s a bit tight!
Oh I never realised they had a short date on them best check mine, I have a couple of boxes. Do you not have enough to test when you need to then? Xx
Some don't but the majority of boxes I've had have been short dated, I rarely need to test them but I dread if there's a time I do need to keep checking on them, the pharmacist at the health centre every review just says you shouldn't be needing to test them all that often but of course during periods of illness it may be necessary but she doesn't seem to grasp that fact xx

The date on these ones are 31st of January 2023.

My pharmacist has a double checking system - two pharmacists check and sign the item is correct as prescribed, then for insulin a third check as they should show you the item to check it's correct.

I was given the wrong insulin for the first time this week, it was signed off by both checks, and they forgot the third check so i forgot to check until i got home. They did sort it when i took it back though.

In asda pharmacy last year, lady in front must have been given libre 2 sensors instead of 1, pharmacy took them back & said would order right ones, when being served asked what would happen to sensors as I could use them, told they would be disposed of as they had been despensed, what a waste.

In asda pharmacy last year, lady in front must have been given libre 2 sensors instead of 1, pharmacy took them back & said would order right ones, when being served asked what would happen to sensors as I could use them, told they would be disposed of as they had been despensed, what a waste.
I thought if you did it before you left the Pharmacy they could dispense to someone else.

Just for anyone struggling to believe it which I don't blame

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1644051354040.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644051354040.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 19
Oh my gosh it's my flaunt I didn't notice when order them thats what it says on presriction i think they meant it for by test strips now i feel terrible. I'm ringing them first thing tomorrow.

I'm completely kicking myself.

Oh my gosh it's my flaunt I didn't notice when order them thats what it says on presriction i think they meant it for by test strips now i feel terrible. I'm ringing them first thing tomorrow.
Technically there shouldn’t have been that many ketone strips that you could have ordered! So it’s not completely your fault

Technically there shouldn’t have been that many ketone strips that you could have ordered! So it’s not completely your fault

Exactly, dont beat yourself up about it Ray, give them away on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
They dififfantty meant them to be bg test stristrips there because their telling me not to use more then 10 a day which I know sounds allot but on long shifts considering how active my job Is its not epsailly. Which I start traveling and going to up for longer. And then do an active job. It's why having a daily limit doesn't my life style. I'm going to try and explain this at my next appointment. Because my team atny that supportive in that exact maybe if I tell about the rapid drops I can get at work they understand more

They dififfantty meant them to be bg test stristrips there because their telling me not to use more then 10 a day which I know sounds allot but on long shifts considering how active my job Is its not epsailly. Which I start traveling and going to up for longer. And then do an active job. It's why having a daily limit doesn't my life style. I'm going to try and explain this at my next appointment. Because my team atny that supportive in that exact maybe if I tell about the rapid drops I can get at work they understand more
Whether they intended the ketone strips to be BG strips or not - they shouldn’t have allowed you to order that many ketone strips.

Yeah well I looked at and it does say that manny on the prescriptionn im calling first thing and Monday to change it athough i am jn process to changing doctors so hopefully I'm still anlle to change it.

Yeah well I looked at and it does say that manny on the prescriptionn im calling first thing and Monday to change it athough i am jn process to changing doctors so hopefully I'm still anlle to change it.
It’s probably simply down to a human error of ticking the wrong box on the computer of why your doctors approved that many ketone strips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back