does anyone else doctors make this sort of mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I know I talk a fair bit, my doctors, a fair a bit. but this time they seem to have messed up my order and given me 300 keytone strips which I've never going to use.

Last edited:
Might not be the doctor’s mistake, might be the chemist. We’ve been given the wrong strips on more than one occasion so I always check what they have given me now before I leave the chemist, then if anything is wrong they can put it back on the shelf and give it to someone else. If you leave the shop and then come back and complain they have to throw them away in case you’ve tampered with them. (Not that you would, but they don’t know that and have to assume the worst.)

Might not be the doctor’s mistake, might be the chemist. We’ve been given the wrong strips on more than one occasion so I always check what they have given me now before I leave the chemist, then if anything is wrong they can put it back on the shelf and give it to someone else. If you leave the shop and then come back and complain they have to throw them away in case you’ve tampered with them. (Not that you would, but they don’t know that and have to assume the worst.)
I told the pharmacist and he said that's what the doctors sent them.

i've been trying to find someone who might be able to use them though.

Wow, the pharmacist at my health centre is pretty tight on prescribing ketone strips as they are expensive, especially the FreeStyle ones, if you want rid of some you could post them on the Type 1 Pay It Forward Group? Ask for postage and I'm sure they will be snapped up, if you want the link to the group let me know xx

Wow, the pharmacist at my health centre is pretty tight on prescribing ketone strips as they are expensive, especially the FreeStyle ones, if you want rid of some you could post them on the Type 1 Pay It Forward Group? Ask for postage and I'm sure they will be snapped up, if you want the link to the group let me know xx
yeah thats what i did.

Ah right, odd as they aren't showing in the group xx

Ah right, odd as they aren't showing in the group xx
I think my edit to say wivh ones there are waiting for aporval

Ah right ok, I'm just wondering how anyone let 30 boxes of ketone strips through xx

I don't know how they complain about me using up supplys but then go and do that. however I think they may have might for them be bg strips given the note.

Blooming heck!! We are talking blood ketone strips aren't we and not Ketostix urine strips? 300 blood strips must be over £1000 worth! It is a whopping mistake for someone. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes!! Do you not order your prescriptions online? How has anyone even authorized that! Pharmacists always have to double check everything before things are dispensed. You would have thought they would have rang through to the surgery to confirm something so out of the ordinary and expensive.

Blooming heck!! We are talking blood ketone strips aren't we and not Ketostix urine strips? 300 blood strips must be over £1000 worth! It is a whopping mistake for someone. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes!! Do you not order your prescriptions online? How has anyone even authorized that! Pharmacists always have to double check everything before things are dispensed. You would have thought they would have rang through to the surgery to confirm something so out of the ordinary and expensive.
Yes, I did it online going to have to double-check the system myself. they said when I mentioned it "the best thing for you to do is to ring your surgery so they give you less for next time" eh don't think they are going to be the next time for quite a while in regards to keytone strips.

Last edited:
Wow I didn’t realise they were that expensive! Think I get 10 per month. Wondered why they are so tight with them. To be fair I never collect mine, don’t ever need them which I suppose is a good thing

Keytone blood test strips are about a £1 each and are sold in pots of 10 or 25.
Keytone urine strips are sold in pots of 100 or 150 and cost about £10 per pot.

300 Ketone urine strips would be worth about £20.
I am assuming it was urine strips.

A few months ago the chemist issued libre 2's instead of Libre 1's.
I always try to check my items before leaving the counter at the chemist's.
no it was blood strips

Yes, they did it online going to have to double-check the system myself.
How do you mean, "they did it online"? With my repeat prescriptions, I go online and select the items I need and there is usually a limit on the number I can have for test strips or Libre sensors, needles etc as well as insulin and a date before which I can't reorder. I can't even get any Blood ketone strips on prescription and just have to settle for Ketostix urine strips.

Anyway, I believe this is a standard way of ordering repeat prescriptions online, in that you tick the items you need and the quantity is limited on your records and they dispense from your order.

Wow I didn’t realise they were that expensive! Think I get 10 per month. Wondered why they are so tight with them. To be fair I never collect mine, don’t ever need them which I suppose is a good thing
its wired how they tell me off for testing my bg too much and then go and do that however they may be meant to bg given note to say use a maximum per day(having a limit a day really doesn't my live style not with my job)

How do you mean, "they did it online"? With my repeat prescriptions, I go online and select the items I need and there is usually a limit on the number I can have for test strips or Libre sensors, needles etc as well as insulin and a date before which I can't reorder. I can't even get any Blood ketone strips on prescription and just have to settle for Ketostix urine strips.

Anyway, I believe this is a standard way of ordering repeat prescriptions online, in that you tick the items you need and the quantity is limited on your records and they dispense from your order.
sorry I edited the post

I was lead to believe they were about a fiver each but just done a quick search on ebay and see you are right @Benny G Still £300 quid is a lot! Hope they got a good bulk purchase discount!!
@rayray119 are you sure there are 300 as in 30 pots of 10 of however yours are dispensed? It's just such a massive mistake I am quite incredulous.... but then I suppose you are too which is why you have posted about it!

I was lead to believe they were about a fiver each but just done a quick search on ebay and see you are right @Benny G Still £300 quid is a lot! Hope they got a good bulk purchase discount!!
@rayray119 are you sure there are 300 as in 30 pots of 10 of however yours are dispensed? It's just such a massive mistake I am quite incredulous.... but then I suppose you are too which is why you have posted about it!
yes there's differently 300 I asked the pharmacist how much there was when I went black and said I didn't need that many keytone strips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back