doctors know nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
basically I'm type one and have been since 6 (9 years a go now) and I check 4 times a day cos I dont do them at lunch...
However, I do agree the docs arent great when it comes to diabetes even my diabetic one is a pain! They don't understand what its like and dish comments else which are supposed to 'help' me?!?!

Also, my pharmacy is pants... I was given the wrong insulin for a week and ended up in hospital- could have been put in a coma if it went on one more day!!

medical people without diabetes or knowing someone with it = dont have a clue!

I think he needs to learn a bit more before he starts preaching to others !! I use on average 6 day as at the minute my levels are not stable for shore, two days ago my level shot upto 30.3 so if i didnt check mine more often than once a day i wouldnt have a clue were i was ! If it keeps us out of hospital or using more medicines (which would cost more than a couple of testers) then keep using them i do and its our health we're checking and not the goverments bank balance.
I had the same trouble with my diabetes nurse. She said "what do you do if it is too high - what action do you take" adding that most people do nothing. I was able to tell her that I do indeed take action when my readings go up. She was taken aback, and has never questioned my use of strips since!

I've heard so much about people getting hassle about their use of testing strips, I'm almost expecting to get it myself each time I renew my prescription! I guess I've been very lucky with the quality of my treatment so far (6 months). My GP did ask me once how often I tested and why, when I asked for an increase from 100 to 200 strips per prescription, but seemed satisfied with my explanation.

I thought all diagnosed diabetics got free prescriptions?

I get free prescriptions but have to buy my own strips and lancets. I cant afford to test every day even though I want to to make sure things are ok. I just hope nothing seriously happens to me!

Hi Delta

Sorry you're having problems with your GP. Think the main problem is they get confused between type 1 and type 2 and they fail to understand the need to intensively monitor with T1.
The other problem is this (I know this as I used to be a practice nurse) strip useage is expensive, practices are now getting bonuses for reducing the amount of test strips perscribed-and being short sighted they fail to realise that X amount of strips per month is a damn sight cheaper than X many trips to A+E with DKA/hypos or the cost of complications.
Stick to your guns,a GP is exactly that-general-so they dont have indepth knowledge of diabetes, make an appointment and educate them (nicely obviously-same goes for pharmacy staff)if that doesnt work present your GP with a copy of the NICE guidence into management of T1 and get your hospital team involved.
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back