Doctor refuses to give me a testing kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hendy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes a month ago. Everyone I know who has Diabetes tests their blood levels on a daily basis. But my Doctor says he doesnt think it necesssary for me to check this myself, but I am worried and wonder how I can ensure that my sugars levels are maintained. I am dieting and watching what I eat etc. But I feel that this would be an aid to help me in the maintainence of my sugar levels. Is this the norm or has anyone else been told they do not need the sugar testing kit?? Can anyone advise me please?

It absolutely is the norm hendy I am afraid.
The only option I had was to buy a test kit myself and test for a few weeks.
To be honest this is worthwhile as within a few weeks you quickly get to know what works and what doesn't and then the need to test reduces to minimal.

It isn't just your GP - it seems to be more the norm going by posts on here - doesn't mean it is right though. Do you know what your level was when diagnosed as if very high this could maybe add a bit more weight to your argument?

Hi Hendy, welcome to the forum 🙂 Unfortunately, this is a constant problem for people who are not on insulin. Some doctors (probably a majority) feel that testing is unnecessary, and that a 6 monthly HbA1c test is sufficient. However as you say this doesn't inform you when trying to make sensible and appropriate changes to your diet as you can't see the effects on your blood sugars of particular food combinations.

Diabetes UK have an Advocacy pack that may help you to make your case for being prescribed strips:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_h...ks/Availability-of-blood-glucose-test-strips/

You may have to fund your own strips and present the evidence of how you are using the strips to modify your diet and lifestyle to your doctor - sometimes this helps to convince them to prescribe for a limited period.

Thanks for that info

My blood sugar level is 9.2 at the moment. I am finding it all a bit confusing but trying my best to get to grips with it all at the mo, but thanks for the response. Its helpful to know that it isnt just me then that has been refused.

It absolutely is the norm hendy I am afraid.
The only option I had was to buy a test kit myself and test for a few weeks.
To be honest this is worthwhile as within a few weeks you quickly get to know what works and what doesn't and then the need to test reduces to minimal.

It isn't just your GP - it seems to be more the norm going by posts on here - doesn't mean it is right though. Do you know what your level was when diagnosed as if very high this could maybe add a bit more weight to your argument?

again thanks

The info you have given me is so helpful and I shall have a look at the site you mentioned. Thanks very much for your response.
Hi Hendy, welcome to the forum 🙂 Unfortunately, this is a constant problem for people who are not on insulin. Some doctors (probably a majority) feel that testing is unnecessary, and that a 6 monthly HbA1c test is sufficient. However as you say this doesn't inform you when trying to make sensible and appropriate changes to your diet as you can't see the effects on your blood sugars of particular food combinations.

Diabetes UK have an Advocacy pack that may help you to make your case for being prescribed strips:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_h...ks/Availability-of-blood-glucose-test-strips/

You may have to fund your own strips and present the evidence of how you are using the strips to modify your diet and lifestyle to your doctor - sometimes this helps to convince them to prescribe for a limited period.

Hi Hendy and a warm welcome to the forum,like has already been stated many have the same trouble they either have to buy a meter themselves or fight tooth and nail to get one, then of course the other bother is getting prescribed test strips.These gps dont seem to be able to come to terms with the fact testing our blood levels are the only way we are able to see what diffirent foods do to our levels,I hope the info you have been given can help you out.x

p.s sometimes people on here have spare meters so maybe some kind soul could offer one.

Hi Hendy

I was diagnosed last week and although it was a shock, my doctor immediately wrote a prescription for test strips and Metformn. She handed me a monitor. I'm now thanking my lucky stars that I live in Norway and there doesn't seem to be the same misunderstanding of how vital testing is.

My levels are coming down and I can't emphasise how it gives you such a boost and encourages to keep going. I would pester that GP.

Donna x

Welcome to the forum hendy.

You can get a meter with a small quantity of strips, quite cheaply these days (if not free from manufacturers). However the test strips can come in at ?25 for a pot of 50.

I'd suggest getting one and using those initial strips to build up a picture of your diet and how it affects you. Then plop this information in front of your GP and suggest that it is worth funding your strips for a bit.

Good luck,

Andy 🙂

p.s. My GP is happy to fund mine, but I'm only testing once a week/fortnight now.

I was initially diagnosed as a Type 2 and given a kit and plenty of strips. Then I moved home from London and had to fight for them, even after the diagnosis was changed, because I'm not on insulin - yet! I do get them now but until recently I have had to justify every one I use. You may be able to persuade your doctor to give you some in the short term while you learn which foods to avoid but long term I'm afraid, you might not have much chance, unless you start having hypos.

I used to buy mine off eBay where you can get them about half price.

thanks

Thanks Donna for your reply its good to hear how everyone else gets on, it looks like I will have to purchase my own testing kit, as it appears to be the norm here from what people are telling me. Thanks for your invaluable input. xx
Hi Hendy

I was diagnosed last week and although it was a shock, my doctor immediately wrote a prescription for test strips and Metformn. She handed me a monitor. I'm now thanking my lucky stars that I live in Norway and there doesn't seem to be the same misunderstanding of how vital testing is.

My levels are coming down and I can't emphasise how it gives you such a boost and encourages to keep going. I would pester that GP.

Donna x

Ta for that info

Thanks Alison for the info, it appears it seems to be the norm now, which is a bit worrying to say the least that you cannt do your own testing due to finance. So, looks like I will have to purchase my own kit like most people out there. lol xx
I was initially diagnosed as a Type 2 and given a kit and plenty of strips. Then I moved home from London and had to fight for them, even after the diagnosis was changed, because I'm not on insulin - yet! I do get them now but until recently I have had to justify every one I use. You may be able to persuade your doctor to give you some in the short term while you learn which foods to avoid but long term I'm afraid, you might not have much chance, unless you start having hypos.

I used to buy mine off eBay where you can get them about half price.

I don't think the actual meters are available on NHS prescription only the strips and lancets. The ones that doctors dish out for free to patients are ones received free from the manufacturers.

If you have been told to test once a day or more Abbott will send a meter directly for nothing.

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/free-meter-signup

I think the problem is you get a lot of people on D/E and non-hypo inducing meds who test far more than they need to. Testing frequently and watching the numbers go up down gives them some comfort. It makes them feel more in control. But most doctors think that it is of little medical value and the NHS budget has better priorities to spend its money on.

If you have been told to test once a day or more Abbott will send a meter directly for nothing.

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/free-meter-signup

I think the problem is you get a lot of people on D/E and non-hypo inducing meds who test far more than they need to. Testing frequently and watching the numbers go up down gives them some comfort. It makes them feel more in control. But most doctors think that it is of little medical value and the NHS budget has better priorities to spend its money on.

Hey Rob, thanks for that link! When I phoned them they wouldn't send me a free meter, yet they will from this page! 🙄

The thing about strips is that each test must tell you something, and you should act on that result. If strips are prescribed then appropriate education should be given so that the person knows why they are testing and what they hope to achieve from it. The doctor should monitor to ensure the testing is being done appropriately. Rather than people testing for reassurance being the problem, I think the problem is that doctors don't have or won't spare the resources for education and monitoring so they trot out the old study that said that testing makes the patient neurotic or depressed. (Farmer et al. http://www.bmj.com/content/335/7611/132/reply )

Ask one of the company's to send you one and do some testing - then write down all your results to take to your GP to 'prove' that testing is needed and you need his advice on when to test and how to change things.🙂Bev

I had the option to have meter if I wanted and because I was already registered on this forum and had read many of the messages that stressed how important it was to test so I said yest. They will let me have a couple of boxes of the test strips a year the rest I will have to fund myself.

At first I tested at least 3 times a day but now my levels are getting into a better place I test once or twice a day.

I had the option to have meter if I wanted and because I was already registered on this forum and had read many of the messages that stressed how important it was to test so I said yest. They will let me have a couple of boxes of the test strips a year the rest I will have to fund myself.

At first I tested at least 3 times a day but now my levels are getting into a better place I test once or twice a day.

I think this is an important point for those not on insulin to bear in mind - initially, you may need to test frequently whilst you discover how different foods affect you, but once established that testing can be reduced for more unusual circumstances. I don't think this is always made clear at the beginning. For those on insulin, of course, there will always be many occasions where you have to test - at a minimum before injecting and before doing something like driving.

I think this is an important point for those not on insulin to bear in mind - initially, you may need to test frequently whilst you discover how different foods affect you, but once established that testing can be reduced for more unusual circumstances. I don't think this is always made clear at the beginning. For those on insulin, of course, there will always be many occasions where you have to test - at a minimum before injecting and before doing something like driving.

Alan sorry to go off topic but did you put your details in to get a free meter from abbott?

Alan sorry to go off topic but did you put your details in to get a free meter from abbott?

Yes, it said they will send me one in the next 28 days! I may end up with two now, because the DSN yesterday said she would get one for me 🙂

Yes, it said they will send me one in the next 28 days! I may end up with two now, because the DSN yesterday said she would get one for me 🙂

I wonder if it is worth me having a go at getting one i want the one with the backlight on which is the freestyle lite, bet you gotta be on insulin though.😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back