do you always test when feeling hypo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitloaf

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My OH told me off yesterday for faffing about with my glucose meter (with shaking hands) trying to test by BG instead of reaching for the nearest packet of dextrose tabs. So do you always test if you are feeling hypo or if you know you're low do you treat first?

I tend to test as sometimes I've felt hypo but was high instead. But if I'm shaky it normally means low, so if it's not convenient then I'll just go for the sugar first. At night sometimes I just swig lucozade and stay in bed so as not to disturb my boyfriend.

I sometimes take the jelly babies before testing - but I do try and test just after eating them, just so I've got a benchmark for seeing how quickly I'm coming up again (or how slowly I'm now going down...).

My OH told me off yesterday for faffing about with my glucose meter (with shaking hands) trying to test by BG instead of reaching for the nearest packet of dextrose tabs. So do you always test if you are feeling hypo or if you know you're low do you treat first?

I always test before treating a hypo as I like to know my level, I can be in the 1's before getting signs or feel really low at a 4 so need to know where I'm at first so I don't over do it.

I also usually test before treating - depending on how low I am I might need more or less to treat it. Has to be said though that it sometimes becomes difficult to get the blood out, and also I seem to get more meter errors which is incredibly frustrating! 😱

I can tell I'm hypo if I drop the lancet or struggle to fit the strip into the slot... then I just give up and drink lucozade.

I always test if I feel hypo...

Those iffy readings one can gain when testing😱 My OH still laughs at one of my more spectacular ones..

I had tested and treated my hypo, but still felt a bit fuggy headed etc... Tested again and the meter read LOW😱:

I actuall hit the deck, I was sat on the settee and just dived onto the floor with meter clutched in my hand😱:

In my confuddled state, my brain was telling me that my BG can't be THAT low as if it was I wouldn't know about it the ambulance crew would though.. But just in case better to get to ground level, can fall off the ground and hurt yourself😱

If I'm sure I'm hypo, then I eat first, test after. If I "feel odd" but I'm not sure whether hypo / hyper (incredibly rare, and more likely at times like weddings, which combine odd food patterns with more alcohol than usual 🙂 ) then I will test.

I tend to agree that faffing with testing (and co-ordination is not at its best when hypo) is just delaying getting sugar inside me - and since I always have sweets in my pocket, while my meter will be in a bag nearby, sweets are nearly always closer than meter.

I tend to always test before I treat, so I know how much I need to take. If I'm really obviously hypo (shaking, sweating, mumbling etc) then I'll go straight for the good stuff, but I usually test first.

Yes, I do. Though I'm not sure why, I know the symptoms well enough now to be pretty sure that's what happening. I think I got programmed to do it when I was still learning aboout the Big D so that now it's automatic. It's very rare, but I do occasionally feel hypo when I'm in the low 4s.

Its always good to record the details of hypos, time and how low.......you can then conclude why it happened and how to avoid it next time.........

Yes, I do. Though I'm not sure why, I know the symptoms well enough now to be pretty sure that's what happening. I think I got programmed to do it when I was still learning aboout the Big D so that now it's automatic. It's very rare, but I do occasionally feel hypo when I'm in the low 4s.

The problem I get is with the more subtle warning signs.

I don't always get shaking, sweating, pale skin or tingling lips. Sometimes it's 'feeling a bit hungry' or 'feeling a little bit odd' not exactly helpful!

I also know that I have a tendency to feel or ignore these little cues depending on what I'm expecting to happen. It's very easy to feel a bit hypo when you know you've been a bit more active than usual, after the gym of doing a spot of gardening... on the other hand if you know you were 12.x an hour ago it's easy to think you must be still pretty high even though you might be dropping like a stone.

I do like to test, just to be sure. It's very annoying to have corrected for a hypo that never was, and pretty scary to find yourself in the 2's and think "oh yes I have been feeling a bit hypo for while..."

Whatever, your type, I think it's important to test whenever you feel you need to, always supposing you can persuade your surgerey to give you the strips. I'm getting them at last, after having the emergency services called out to me twice in a month the surgery got the message and are letting me have 'up to' 100 per month. It makes a huge difference to me as I was having to buy mine and therefore scared to use 'too many'. My Excel chart has gone a long way to towards convincing the power that be as well. It clearly shows the roller coaster I've been on and is actually proving a very useful tool to see what's going on in between HbA1cs.

Whatever, your type, I think it's important to test whenever you feel you need to, always supposing you can persuade your surgerey to give you the strips. I'm getting them at last, after having the emergency services called out to me twice in a month the surgery got the message and are letting me have 'up to' 100 per month. It makes a huge difference to me as I was having to buy mine and therefore scared to use 'too many'. My Excel chart has gone a long way to towards convincing the power that be as well. It clearly shows the roller coaster I've been on and is actually proving a very useful tool to see what's going on in between HbA1cs.

As a type 1.5 I would assume you could obtain sticks as frequently as any type 1??

Good question Fruitloaf, was thinking this myself the other day. I used to but am trying to not bother so much now, in fact I was trying not to test so much in general, but that has resulted in some truely rubbish days! This sucks! But I think I was spurred onto only having 7 test strips left oops! So in future I will try and test if just feel odd (most of the time!) but if sheakey stevens is in the house I'll munch the carbs first.

As a type 1.5 I would assume you could obtain sticks as frequently as any type 1??

Nope. The view of my local PCT is/was that since I'm not on insulin... yet, I don't need to test. My doctor has gone out on a limb for me because of the ups and downs I've had recently and we still don't know if the PCT will ratify his decision. I'm supposed to be having more tests soon to decide if I need insulin now, but it could be months before that happens due to the swingeing cuts the NHS here has had to make. In the meantime, I struggle on with no clue what's going to happen next. It's exhausting and I'm getting a little annoyed, which for a Brit is tantamount to a declaration of war.

Nope. The view of my local PCT is/was that since I'm not on insulin... yet, I don't need to test. My doctor has gone out on a limb for me because of the ups and downs I've had recently and we still don't know if the PCT will ratify his decision. I'm supposed to be having more tests soon to decide if I need insulin now, but it could be months before that happens due to the swingeing cuts the NHS here has had to make. In the meantime, I struggle on with no clue what's going to happen next. It's exhausting and I'm getting a little annoyed, which for a Brit is tantamount to a declaration of war.

That is unfortunate.................as type 1.5 is so unpredictable I would of thought all medicatios and resources would be available to you.......

Will there come a time when your insulin production will be thwarted eventually?

That is unfortunate.................as type 1.5 is so unpredictable I would of thought all medicatios and resources would be available to you.......

Will there come a time when your insulin production will be thwarted eventually?

Yes, my pancreas has been described as an engine on it's last legs. It will apparently give up the ghost at some point, after which they tell me I'll be treated as a Type 1. Then I can have all the strips I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back