Do they have any right to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad that you seem to be getting somewhere Robert. However, if you don't have any joy today please get in touch. I don't want you facing a weekend without heat. Also...now that you know I'm nearby please don't hesitate to get in touch if there's ever anything I can do for you.

This morning, having been woken up by my carer, she told me that she had been told to "make sure I took my insulin shot" (this being 9:45, three hours earlier than I customarily take my first shot of the day). I tried to tell her that I usually take my shot at around lunchtime, but she wouldn't listen, so (against my informed judgement that a shot wasn't necessary, and may not have been safe — another problem is that my heating isn't working, because I have run out of gas and those idiots at Nationwide have cancelled my debit card three weeks before it was due to expire, even though I have not received any replacement card, so I can't buy any more gas) I was made to give myself a shot. Of course, I gave myself only 10 units, which is unlikely to have very much effect, but that doesn't stop this stunt being (in my opinion) stupid, irresponsible and dangerous.

So, do they have any right? I may be housebound, but there is nothing wrong with my mental facilities (if there was, I should not be living alone, but in a proper nursing home where the staff are actually qualified to do this sort of thing), and to my knowledge nether the carer (who was "just obeying orders" — now precisely where and when have we heard that before?😱) nor the care supervisor who ordered this knows the first thing about diabetes (indeed, the last time she was here the care supervisor was giving me the "you shouldn't be eating that" nonsense we've all heard so many times), much less the complications caused by also having late-stage CKD (in the kidney clinic, I have been repeatedly warned that I am in far more danger from low BG levels than high ones), and in any case I doubt that anyone at Mears has access to my detailed medical records. Hence, to my mind this stunt was not only idiotic, but illegal. What if, due to the unwanted (and unwonted) insulin jab, I were to die of hypoglycaemia in the ~8-12 hour gap between morning and evening care visits? 😱:confused:🙄

Like most posters here, I believe that my D control is solely my responsibility, nobody else's, and that any "help" I get with it should be from qualified medical practitioners and with my consent; so I suspect that today's business was not only idiotic, but illegal, with the possibility of criminal liability. What does anyone suggest? Should I contact Lambeth Community Law Centre and ask if they do home visits?
I finally managed to log in to my online banking and read the secure message I was sent on Monday; it turns out that because I tried to spend just over £600 on a new bed frame and mattresses (an unusually large transaction for me), they immediately tagged my card as "suspect" and blocked all transactions on it! 😱🙄 As I've pointed out in my reply to them, this is idiotic (I didn't put it that way, maybe I should have) as (1) that would-be payment was to Argos, to whom I have made payments before (and will again); (2) I then tried to make the payment again, this time through my secure PayPal account, and that should have told them that it was genuine; and (3) the next payment I tried to make was my usual rent payment, to Lambeth Council and for the usual kind of amount, so there was no earthly reason why that one should have been blocked. 🙄

With any luck, when Nationwide open for business in a couple of hours, they should unblock my card; but whether they do or not, I'm seriously thinking of moving my money elsewhere. 😡
Robert it has been a tumultuous couple of days for you...several issues here...firstly the medication...no one has the right to administer medication by force or force you to take it...unless you lack capacity to consent...as you have clearly said you do not suffer from any mental health problems...technically what you have experienced could amount to an assault...however...you have to be very clear about the facts...from your post it seems you were coerced by your carer to take the medication against your will...or better judgement...and took it to alleviate the pressure s/he was applying...if that is the case...not acceptable under any circumstances...hopefully you have recorded the exact circumstances in writing...timed and dated it...if not...I would advise you to do that without further delay while it is still fresh and clear in your mind....there are several patient agencies you can discuss this with before you decide whether or not to report it to the police...also do make a complaint to the agency? supplying the carer and try to ascertain who gave those instructions to insist you take your insulin while they were in attendance...it may well be the carer was simply asked to remind you and has overstepped their remit...once you have that information it will be easier for you to decide how to proceed with this matter...and come back to us for further advice/guidance...secondly the bank...unacceptable...yes there is a need to be concerned at 'unusual' activity...however...it sounds as if you spend a lot of time at home...therefore the bank could have rang you...confirmed whether or not the transaction was legitimate...relieved to hear you are back in funds now (?)...do not let them off lightly...you should be compensated for the inconvenience and upset their incompetence has caused...speak to customer services...and if necessary back that up in writing...if you need any assistance with that...would be happy to help...good luck...and keep us informed.

Last edited:
Hi Robert. I'm glad to hear you've got your card sorted. As for the bank blocking your card without phoning you to clarify the spend , that's so wrong. I have in the past been phoned by my banks fraud department as they were concerned, the first time i reassured them all was well so they let the payment go through , the second time it was attempted fraud.
Your bank should have actually spoken to you not just sent you an email.
I feel a letter to your banks complaint department is definitely warranted

Sorry to hear of all your problems Robert. Disgraceful that the so-called carer made you inject insulin at the wrong time of day, that's absolutely not on. Re the gas, please do sign up as a priority customer to ensure you are never without heating. And re the bank, unfortunately they're all as bad as each other - I had this last year when I bought a few things online on "Black Friday" - apparently this was unusual spending patterns...well obviously I don't do my Christmas shopping every day of the year! Nobody contacted me, it was only that I kept getting rejections on the payment page, so had to do all the phoning and sorting out myself. Hope you've got some heating now?

Ths sounds completely unacceptable to me. Who on earth do people think they are talking to telling people about the "nonsense they are eating." they could at least talk to people in a civil manner. A complaint would be in order I think.

I hope you've got heating now, Robert, and as several people have said, do get yourself listed as a priority customer. Various services will do this - I used to be listed for landline telephone before we had mobiles - and it's worth making sure all your service providers know you are ill and mustn't be cut off. They will also come out more quickly to make any repairs if your heating ever breaks down.

I agree with everyone else about the carer too - please do make a complaint. It's not the first time I've heard of carers behaving like that, and they should never be allowed to get away with it. Not just because of the way it must have made you feel, which I imagine was awful, but also because it could have been dangerous, and could still be dangerous if they do it to another patient. Imagine if they did it to someone insulin-sensitive rather than insulin-resistant - if I had just one extra unit of insulin at the wrong time I could easily be in a coma within the hour.

And I agree with those people who said to get it all down on paper while you have it fresh in your mind, and complain in writing rather than by phone. Then you can keep copies of any letters you send so if you don't get anywhere initially you can keep complaining until you do without having to write it all out again.

Sending hugs
hug2.gif

@robert@fm Wondering how you are. Have you got heating now, I hope you have, it's too cold to be without heating

Robert, i Just wanted to second what everyone else had said, definitely make a complaint about that career. No one has the right to force you to take your medication.
I hope you are ok, and I hope your heating is sorted xx

Robert I'm so sorry to hear about the problems that you've been having. Nobody should ever be forced to have insulin or be without heating. Big hugs. How are you now?

That is a very kind offer by Diabeticliberty - why hasn't anyone said 'thankyou'? You said you have to 'buy gas' so does that mean you're using bottled gas rather than a mains supply? (I live out in the country and don't have a gas supply, so bottled gas is the only way of getting a supply). I would also be willing, with you agreement, to join with Diabeticliberty to help get your heating sorted out - others may also want to help as an early Christmas present.

Barb - Robert quite likely has a card meter (as they don't have ones you feed with shillings now LOL) You take the card to somewhere with the relevant machine to 'put money on it' and you pay them - a PO, newsagent etc. You then put the card into the meter, and it starts sending gas down your pipes again till the money's run out. Or - he pays his utility bills weekly or monthly by D/D since he isn't mobile enough to nip to the corner shop whenever it needs him to - the bank stopped the payment - so he had no gas.

I have a card meter for gas, and British Gas has also introduced a service whereby one can top-up from the comfort of home; BG provide a card reader/writer. (It has to be used with Internet Execrable, rather than one's browser of choice, which is a major violation of W3C rules; but hey, it works, and I can still use Firefox for all real web browsing.) No longer do I have to send my carer out to do the top-up (a 10-minute round trip for him, at least 30 minutes if I do it); I can apply the top-up myself, although I still have to get a carer to feed the credit into the meter.

Fortunately, on Friday Nationwide finally sent me my replacement debit card, so I now have my heating running again (and my next fortnight's groceries booked, and some Blu-Rays purchased to help cheer me up, as indicated in the Blu-Ray thread). However, contrary to their corporate slogan, Mears Healthcare aren't making me smile; they're currently making me want to kick someone in the nuts, or grab a machine-gun and go on a rampage. 😡 I think I'll have to play a few violent video games to work off this anger.

I would like to say that I am touched by the friendly and helpful attitudes of everyone who has replied. This is truly a great forum. 😎

I'm glad things are going better for you now Robert. Hope you soon warm up and enjoy the Blu-rays.

Move in the right direction. I'm glad you've got heating. It's probably no comfort that they're at least keeping an eye out for fraud.

Glad things are sorting themselves out. Now get on the register and then complain like a man possessed to Mears. They've list sight of their purpose which is to care for your needs not make you conform to theirs. Go get 'em 😎

Reactions: Ljc
Last edited:
First direct seem to come out well as far as customer satisfaction is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back