Do the "recovery" threads ever get you down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and dont anybody tell me "you can eat what you want, when you want"! Hearing that is the worst!! ‍♀️

Well...i have been branching out from a low carb diet, and i used to shake my head at that mantra, but i'm branching out into higher carb, and mini magnums are bloomin delish. Thoughbi still do low carb for snacks. After all, not all snacks are bolus- worthy

There really is no reason why you should be going hungry Gill. It is only stacking corrections that they advise against. Boluses for meals can be added on and this is not stacking. So If I went to a restaurant for a meal, I would bolus for the main course and then if I decided I was going to have a dessert afterwards, then I would inject some more insulin to cover that.
If you really don't want to add more insulin between meals and you are hungry then have a low carb meal or snack. An omelette is quick and easy and filling, or some cooked meat and coleslaw or some tuna and mayonnaise wrapped in lettuce leaves or a chunk of cheese or a pot of olives if you like them. Find low carb snacks that you like and have plenty of them available for when you need them.... BUT.... it is absolutely fine to inject insulin for carbs in between meals if you want a chocolate biscuit or a piece of cake or a scone if you can find some GF ones. If you are between two different ratios then always apply the one that uses less insulin because avoiding a hypo should be the first consideration. You can correct at your next meal provided you take into consideration that there may still be active insulin on board from the snack and take that into consideration.

This is your new life and going hungry should not be part of it so you have to learn how to manage it and not be frightened off it. Hypos happen to us all from time to time despite our best efforts. I used to average one a day until I got Libre 2 and can now head them off before they happen. Don't let a hypo that happened once a while ago when you had a snack stop you from experimenting until you figure out how to manage snacks with your insulin.
Thanks Barb, my breakfast ratio is 6:1 but my lunch is 14:1 yet my dinner is 9:1. I dont know where to start in between. Im having enough trouble with flucuating basal levels without adding extra bolus to the mix. I dont feel im in a situation where i can risk the hypo because of the elderly people and others that depend on me for the sake of a snack and my haphazard work pattern. Never mind my fear of them which i think ive got my confidence back some more. The only time I can get away with snacking is when my basal is dropping. I know how much i can eat in relation of my last meals bolus ratio and stay in range. Glucose takes 20 minutes to work on me and because i am sensitive to movement when active insulin is onboard i cant absorb it quick enough to keep up. Ive not found the answer yet other than to run slightly high to be able to respond to what ever comes up when i need too without saying youll have to wait 30 minutes for me to eat something.

Well...i have been branching out from a low carb diet, and i used to shake my head at that mantra, but i'm branching out into higher carb, and mini magnums are bloomin delish. Thoughbi still do low carb for snacks. After all, not all snacks are bolus- worthy
I seem to be constantly eating cheese or meat. I want chocolate!!

I was diagnosed as T2 a few months back and have felt totally ashamed about my diagnosis. I found this forum and felt that it was a place where people support and help each other and I started to feel a little better about my situation and better placed to cope with it. I had never felt confident enough to post anything though and have just been reading other people’s experiences and advice which has been amazing. After reading this thread today though, I have felt really down again and feel that as a T2 I am maybe not as welcome as I thought I was. I appreciate that I have likely brought my diabetes on myself, but I am still as much in need of support as anyone with any type. We can’t change the past - we are all where we are and we all have our own individual needs and issues.

I was diagnosed as T2 a few months back and have felt totally ashamed about my diagnosis. I found this forum and felt that it was a place where people support and help each other and I started to feel a little better about my situation and better placed to cope with it. I had never felt confident enough to post anything though and have just been reading other people’s experiences and advice which has been amazing. After reading this thread today though, I have felt really down again and feel that as a T2 I am maybe not as welcome as I thought I was. I appreciate that I have likely brought my diabetes on myself, but I am still as much in need of support as anyone with any type. We can’t change the past - we are all where we are and we all have our own individual needs and issues.

Have a hug from a Type one.

You shouldn’t feel this way. I for one, am hoping to read a “remission” post from you someday.

Be kind to yourself.

Really sad to hear that this thread has made you feel less welcome and is reinforcing your negative thoughts towards yourself as I know that is absolutely not the intention of anyone here, but I do sort of see how some of the posts could make you feel like that, even though it isn't intended.

I had very negative thoughts when I was first diagnosed and I felt horribly guilty and I still have an element of that now, despite my change of diagnosis to Type1, because I genuinely feel that my previous lifestyle may well have put my beta cells under stress and made them vulnerable to attack from my immune system causing my Type 1. I can't do anything about that so I have to put it behind me and focus on doing everything I can now to keep myself healthy and manage my diabetes well and I have used those negative feelings to motivate me to do better in the future.

My gut feeling is that you are allowing your negative thoughts to influence how you interpret what others have posted and perhaps taken a couple of posts the wrong way. You are a valued member of our community even if you never post anything more but I very much hope you will contribute further because it is only through exchanging our thoughts and feeling that we all learn and empathize with each other.

Sending (((HUGS)))

Hi @Orlandocrazy10. You are very welcome to the forum!

I apologise if some of us older hands can sometimes get a bit carried away and forget that we have members, like yourself, are still trying to get a perspective on things and need support whilst doing so. All of us have been where you are now and I think just about everybody on here would agree wholeheartedly with your last point which you have summed up very nicely.....

We can’t change the past - we are all where we are and we all have our own individual needs and issues.

Now you have broken your duck, keep posting. Good common sense is always valuable!

Really sad to hear that this thread has made you feel less welcome and is reinforcing your negative thoughts towards yourself as I know that is absolutely not the intention of anyone here, but I do sort of see how some of the posts could make you feel like that, even though it isn't intended.

I had very negative thoughts when I was first diagnosed and I felt horribly guilty and I still have an element of that now, despite my change of diagnosis to Type1, because I genuinely feel that my previous lifestyle may well have put my beta cells under stress and made them vulnerable to attack from my immune system causing my Type 1. I can't do anything about that so I have to put it behind me and focus on doing everything I can now to keep myself healthy and manage my diabetes well and I have used those negative feelings to motivate me to do better in the future.

My gut feeling is that you are allowing your negative thoughts to influence how you interpret what others have posted and perhaps taken a couple of posts the wrong way. You are a valued member of our community even if you never post anything more but I very much hope you will contribute further because it is only through exchanging our thoughts and feeling that we all learn and empathize with each other.

Sending (((HUGS)))
“Typism.” I lived in a time with T1 when it never happened. Then, sloppy sensationalist finger pointy journalism in the tabloid press. (As one culprit.) one day it’s diabetics, next “migrants.”

What really gets me “down” is a few slack posts disenfranchising someone with potential to work with a diagnosis & self empower.

“Typism.” I lived in a time with T1 when it never happened. Then, sloppy sensationalist finger pointy journalism in the tabloid press. (As one culprit.) one day it’s diabetics, next “migrants.”

What really gets me “down” is a few slack posts disenfranchising someone with potential to work with a diagnosis & self empower.
The thing is though that it isn't just the press but even within the NHS there is a 2 tier system of support and there are still clinicians who make Type 2s feel like they are to blame especially if their HbA1c goes up instead of down and "threaten them with insulin if they don't pull their socks up" and more or less accuse them of lying about what they are eating., even as they are giving out unhelpful dietary advice, but Type 1s are generally showered with sympathy and support.

There are plenty of misdiagnosed Type 1s who have experienced both sides of the coin and therefore have far more sympathy for the plight of Type 2s than most Type 1s who have not encountered the prejudice first hand. I think quite a few Type 3cs have been in a similar situation and have had to fight their corner

The thing is though that it isn't just the press but even within the NHS there is a 2 tier system of support and there are still clinicians who make Type 2s feel like they are to blame especially if their HbA1c goes up instead of down and "threaten them with insulin if they don't pull their socks up" and more or less accuse them of lying about what they are eating., even as they are giving out unhelpful dietary advice, but Type 1s are generally showered with sympathy and support.

There are plenty of misdiagnosed Type 1s who have experienced both sides of the coin and therefore have far more sympathy for the plight of Type 2s than most Type 1s who have not encountered the prejudice first hand. I think quite a few Type 3cs have been in a similar situation and have had to fight their corner
I’m an atypical T2 in many ways. Over time, I am and have been quite involved with the research, in various ways, meaning lots of discussions with HCPs, usually relating to a research programme, or such likes. Some of the most disgraceful comments I have heard, personally, about T2 have come from professionals who, frankly, should know better.
Their faces when I explain my T2 status is a picture.

For T2 care to make the quantum shift required will take a lot of work, over many years. There is such resistance to change.

As an adult T1 (diagnosed as a kid.) I go to appointments & a nurse “tyre kicks” looks around me & says, “you don’t look T2.” My records suggest I was diagnosed in 1995? More like 1976. I remember it.

Keep em guessing. HCPs for me never seem to listen. “Oh. Do you have the good one or the bad one.” You tell me.

I stoped being the “brave little soldier” years ago. (Which pissed me off back then.)

Last edited:
I was diagnosed as T2 a few months back and have felt totally ashamed about my diagnosis. I found this forum and felt that it was a place where people support and help each other and I started to feel a little better about my situation and better placed to cope with it. I had never felt confident enough to post anything though and have just been reading other people’s experiences and advice which has been amazing. After reading this thread today though, I have felt really down again and feel that as a T2 I am maybe not as welcome as I thought I was.
Ooh we dont mean to do that and i know that wasnt any intention from any of us. We all have bad days with this what ever type we have. Ive just realised ive left a comment that could be deemed a bit offensive but thats not my intention. Im.sounding off out of frustration and youll have days like that. But one this this group is good at is helping to pick you up and dust you off and give good advice from the "expert by experience" members which dare i say it, from experience, can be better than from the medical professionals.

My gut feeling is that you are allowing your negative thoughts to influence how you interpret what others have posted and perhaps taken a couple of posts the wrong way.
I think I may do that too

As a fellow type 2 all I can say is there’s nothing I’ve read in this thread that makes me feel unwelcome and to be honest I’m not sure which ones made you feel that way. But I’ve moved past the self blame and trauma of diagnosis whilst you‘re still fresh to it all. Please accept everyone’s reassurance nothing was meant that way.

Please don’t buy into the “it’s all your fault” way of thinking despite the media and even some hcp doing their best to suggest that idea, which then spreads to the rest of the population. Sure some of us made some bad choices, some of us followed the (questionable) government dietary guidance and some were already going above and beyond to stay healthy. You could be in any of those groupings. There’s no agreed consensus why some people get diabetes whilst another with apparently similar risk factors doesn’t. Yes weight is a factor but it’s also the result of impaired glucose functioning and insulin resistance in a chicken and egg situation. It’s human nature to some extent to think it won’t happen to me. So even if you did make less than ideal choices you’ve seen the light as it were and might well end up healthier than you’ve been in a long time as a result of getting to grips with it now.

I was diagnosed last year (at the age of 30), and this was exactly the reason I was given too by a consultant on my day of diagnosis. I still sometimes wonder if I could be type 2?! (Especially when you sometimes see scaremongering in the news about type 1’s being diagnosed younger in life (am aware this is not true) and/or the symptoms being the same - and this is nothing against being a Type 2, I just want to know I’ve been given the correct diagnosis!)

I did have an antibodies test done on my blood last time I saw a consultant (August 2022) who told me I and I had 3/5 present; waiting on the fourth, negative on the fifth. That was the closest I had come to being given a definite “you are type 1”. (Apparently the more you have, the higher your chances are of getting Type 1?)

My blood test did test for hba1c and it was through the roof at 158 (17%) upon diagnosis - apologies as I have only skim read this thread with a tired brain, but I don’t know if this is more indicative of type 1 than type 2?
Is there any reason to suspect type 2?

Yes type 2 is being diagnosed younger but it’s still comparatively less common and dare I say it appears even more weight and diet associated than in older persons. As a 30 yr old type 1 would most always be a strong consideration even if not a forgone conclusion, other indications might influence this though.

Most convincingly with not just one antibody positive as is the case for many type 1 you have at least 3. I’m assuming they also did an insulin/cpeptide test if they were thorough to do such a wide ranging antibody panel.

As to such a high hb1ac yes type 2 can end up that high but it will usually take us a lot longer with the disease (and most often with other previous indicators) to get to that point than a type 1 with rapidly diminishing beta cells.

It sounds pretty darn definitive for type 1 to me (not a medical opinion, just a personal one). Not sure what else could be offered to be more definitive.

I think i get what yoy mean.I have a problem with my kids and hubby tucking into all sorts as and when they want to. But i keep it to myself for the most. Its doubly worse too with cos of my gluten intolerance. They dont like gluten free cakes and its not worth me making them just for me. Im worse when im hungry but wont eat until my meal time as i dont want to wind up stacking insulin cos ive over done it as my bolus rates are hugley differant for each meal.

It's probably spontaneity what we all miss, just grapping something as & when we want without having to think about bolusing or experiencing higher bg later on.

Having said that in time you will learn how to snack & bolus between meals, it all boils down to experience really, so savoury/ sweet treats won't be ruled out forever.

As a fellow type 2 all I can say is there’s nothing I’ve read in this thread that makes me feel unwelcome and to be honest I’m not sure which ones made you feel that way. But I’ve moved past the self blame and trauma of diagnosis whilst you‘re still fresh to it all. Please accept everyone’s reassurance nothing was meant that way.

Please don’t buy into the “it’s all your fault” way of thinking despite the media and even some hcp doing their best to suggest that idea, which then spreads to the rest of the population. Sure some of us made some bad choices, some of us followed the (questionable) government dietary guidance and some were already going above and beyond to stay healthy. You could be in any of those groupings. There’s no agreed consensus why some people get diabetes whilst another with apparently similar risk factors doesn’t. Yes weight is a factor but it’s also the result of impaired glucose functioning and insulin resistance in a chicken and egg situation. It’s human nature to some extent to think it won’t happen to me. So even if you did make less than ideal choices you’ve seen the light as it were and might well end up healthier than you’ve been in a long time as a result of getting to grips with it now.
As the old joke says ...referring to the genetic baseline ...
'If you are diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, you made a poor choice of grandparents'.

@HSSS I suppose I have had no reason to suspect Type 2 - I think it’s because of the comment “you’re too thin to be Type 2”’is the only reason I was ever really given as to being Type 1 by a medical professional and then was just treated as such from then on - when I was given the results of the antibodies test (if they ever did the other tests you mention, I wasn’t aware, and certainly have never been given the results) it wasn’t explained to me that to have 1 antibody would be indicative of Type 1, let alone 3 - it was just “you have antibodies”. Thank you for your informative reply (for some reason I can’t quote your post).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back