Do I get a medal (30 year anniversary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uselesspancreas

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Probably a daft question but . . . . Do they give out medals to diabetics after dealing with it all for certain years.
Today is my 30th anniversary so had me thinking.
Also thinking how it was for me back then, things have certainly changed with technology being a great help especially day to day with apps, libre and wireless pumps.

Happy Diaversary and many congratulations on achieving 30 years! So pleased to read that you are finding the technology helpful.

I may be wrong but I think the "medals" start at 50years, so you have a bit to go yet. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong. 🙄

Do they give out medals to diabetics after dealing with it all for certain years.

Thank you
Another 30 year's then.

They used to do earlier medals 15 and 25 years I think. Due to so many people easily passes this milestone these were scraped and as already stated you wait until the 50 year mark now 🙂 It's nothing to write home about so don't get to excited 🙂.

I’m not sure why you’d expect or want a medal for having diabetes for 30 years. People live with all sorts of medical conditions for most of their lives. It’s just a normal part of being human.

I’m not sure why you’d expect or want a medal for having diabetes for 30 years. People live with all sorts of medical conditions for most of their lives. It’s just a normal part of being human.
There's no dislike button so I can't dislike you're comment. but I was asking tongue in cheek.
And actually as time goes on it gets exhausting it's a 24/7 job to stay alive and an infection or a simple mistake can make you I'll.
I dont think many people would call it a normal part of being human - because it isn't it's dealing with an incurable illness also known as organ failure.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you. I’m not speaking upon how others feel but too many diabetics, even when diagnosed young, don’t make it to 30 years of diabetes. 30 years of diabetes is, for a lot of us, a slog. I’m speaking from 52 years experience.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you. I’m not speaking upon how others feel but too many diabetics, even when diagnosed young, don’t make it to 30 years of diabetes. 30 years of diabetes is, for a lot of us, a slog. I’m speaking from 52 years experience.
The vast majority of diabetics do live 30 years now unless diagnosed at an older age. Yes of course not everyone does, but people without diabetes die before 30 too. Just doesn’t seem an achievement to live 30 years with diabetes to me.

You need to walk in someone else's shoes to appreciate what a slog living with type 1 can be, maybe it's no big deal for some but for others everyday has its challenges.

The vast majority of diabetics do live 30 years now unless diagnosed at an older age. Yes of course not everyone does, but people without diabetes die before 30 too. Just doesn’t seem an achievement to live 30 years with diabetes to me.
I'll relate that to the family of a friend who found thier son dead ( must've had a hypo overnight) he was in his early 20's and had done nothing wrong in his care.

I'll relate that to the family of a friend who found thier son dead ( must've had a hypo overnight) he was in his early 20's and had done nothing wrong in his care.
Hello,

I had a T1 friend get a 50 year medal. He proudly showed it to me whilst I was round his house.
There was this one occaision I was round there & he was using his PC for something. He had all the clear symptoms of a hypo. (As I identify my own.) “grab your meter mate?” I said, not knowing how he would react “It looks like a 2.5er to me?” He tested & it was 2.4. I wasn’t familiar with the layout to his house, so I offered him something from my bag.

After that, he alway told me where he kept the Locozade. Just in case “I needed it?”
I feel now he was trying to cover his back.
He lived alone & was found dead on his sofa by another friend popping round.

I met the friend a few times & seemed like a nice woman concerned for his welbeing. & quite often asked me what she could do to help him.

This next comment is said with humour. Sometimes we should be given a “peerage” for just politely dismissing the illogical & predudiced comments from others, too.

I believe I have “had it easy” compared to many.
However, I feel I am doing an additional full time job by managing my diabetes 24x7.
I also think there is a huge difference between surviving 30 years with diabetes and living 30 years with diabetes. Doing the latter is much harder. But, hopefully, more rewarding.

I am glad you are not finding it challenging. Maybe you will think differently after 30 years. Or maybe would have thought differently if you were living with diabetes 30 years ago.

I also think there is a huge difference between surviving 30 years with diabetes and living 30 years with diabetes. Doing the latter is much harder. But, hopefully, more rewarding.
Awarding of medals is for surviving not living though.

Not sure what you mean, do you get the medal even if you die before 50 years? That wouldn’t make sense.
Hello,

Do you mind me asking you 2 questions. (It’s difficult sometimes understanding someone online without a facial, tone & inflection, body language reference.)

1. What is your relationship to diabetes, with regards to medication prescribed & type.?
2. Are you neurodivergent.?

To clarify my answer to your question. Some “medals” are awarded posthumously regarding your earlier statement “for surviving.” Not all soldiers survive a war. (Some don’t come home in any sense of the meaning.) Medals can be awarded posthumously.

& staying on the topic so can this. https://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/17017980.posthumous-medal-for-popular-landlord/

1. What is your relationship to diabetes, with regards to medication prescribed & type.?
2. Are you neurodivergent.?
1. Officially I’m T2, but i suspect LADA as Cpeptide is low and been on insulin 14 years (diabetic 15 years, diagnosed age 20). I take MDI insulins lantus and apidra and have self funded libre since it was first released.

2. Yes a formally diagnosed autistic.

To clarify my answer to your question. Some “medals” are awarded posthumously regarding your earlier statement “for surviving.” Not all soldiers survive a war. (Some don’t come home in any sense of the meaning.) Medals can be awarded posthumously.
I know medals in general can be awarded posthumously but the medal being discussed is one for surviving with diabetes for 50 years, which is a pretty common expectation now for those diagnosed aged below about 30. It isn’t a medal that makes any sense to be awarded posthumously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back