Do Diabetics Have a More Acute Sense of Taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte Cook

Relationship to Diabetes
Hello! Can you help me?

My name is Charlotte Cook and I am a final year Food Science and Technology Student at Cardiff Metropolitan University.

As the daughter of a Type 1 Diabetic, I have good knowledge and experience with the condition and as a Food Science student, I am also particularly interested in the condition and the effects it has on an individuals well-being and diet.

As a result of this I have decided to conduct my final year research and dissertation on the condition - with a research title of: "Taste Sensitivity in Type One and Type Two Diabetics and their non-diabetic equivalents: Does This Affect Dietary Intake?"

I am looking to recruit (Non-smoking) Diabetic and Non-diabetic volunteers to take part in the research - this would include a questionnaire and sensory analysis, taking place at Cardiff Metropolitan University and lasting about one hour in total. If all goes to plan, this should take place in February 2017.

The research aims to:
  • Add to the body of knowledge which aids the management of diabetes on both an individual and large scale level.
  • Help health care professionals to structure health care to address controlling the condition in line with behavioural and lifestyle choices when educating their clients.
  • Identify diet/condition related patterns to aid not only the treatment, but also the prevention of Diabetes – particularly Type 2.
As you can imagine, there is a great deal of further information regarding the research - however I don't want to bombard you!

If you are interested in taking part or would just like some more information, then please don't hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks for your time,

Charlotte Cook.
E-mail: st20059524@outlook.cardiffmet.ac.uk

Last edited:
Welcome.
Have you asked Northerner the Admin of the forum for permission for this?

Hello!
Thanks for your message,
Apologies, I haven't I'm afraid... I'm new to this so wasn't aware I had to.
Would you be able to tell me how?

Thanks again 🙂

Hello!
Thanks for your message,
Apologies, I haven't I'm afraid... I'm new to this so wasn't aware I had to.
Would you be able to tell me how?

Thanks again 🙂
Hello, Charlotte, @Northerner our admin, normally spots posts like yours and contacts you. I think it's usually a question of making sure it's passed ethics committee, etc.

I'm not eligible since I smoke - however it would be nice to know whether the Uni are paying expenses (travelling, meals) - as most members of the forum don't even live in Wales - let alone that particular corner of it! Not like anyone will be planning on visiting the beaches of the Gower in February, is it!

I'm not eligible since I smoke
Knew I should have quit...... Paid travel to the UK would suit me anytime & just along the coast is my favorite part of Wales Pembrokeshire

LOL Martin - I would think most UK Unis inviting people to participate in research, would most likely specify that the guinea pigs are at least resident in the UK !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back