DN appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my first appointment with my diabetes nurse in August, she said the next one would be in 3 months' time. I haven't heard anything yet, just wondering is it up to me to book it or do they normally contact you?

My surgery texts me, but it usually a month after the month I expect! They don't forget.

My surgery texts me, but it usually a month after the month I expect! They don't forget.
Thanks, that may be better as my next blood test for my HbA1c is booked for 12th December, be good if it was the same day or after so we could go through the results.

Mine as so bad, apart from a couple of calls from a dietician, in 25 months I’ve had one Appointment for the usual bloods. I have had regular eye checks but never had a foot check.

Mine as so bad, apart from a couple of calls from a dietician, in 25 months I’ve had one Appointment for the usual bloods. I have had regular eye checks but never had a foot check.
Ah. Well I have had my foot checks but dietician or food info - never.

Last edited:
Hi , As with many services in the UK it does appear to me to be a post code lottery as to the service national health patients obtain.

I must say that my doctor's practice receives hi points in customer satisfaction surveys ( top GP practice for the third year in a row ) and they are generally very good.

She just tells me to eat porridge so your not missing much :rofl:
Ha ha. The vagueness of it all. I was told in no uncertain terms NOT to eat porridge. Reason given, too high in carbs. End of conversation. Obviously I ignored it, ate the stuff tested no harm done. Four years later still eating it and testing occasionally and it remains at a healthy 5.4.

Hi , As with many services in the UK it does appear to me to be a post code lottery as to the service national health patients obtain.

I must say that my doctor's practice receives hi points in customer satisfaction surveys ( top GP practice for the third year in a row ) and they are generally very good.
Lucky.

I had a text a few weeks back asking me to setup an appointment with the DN, but I haven't done it yet. Last time was a waste of time. I need to get a new blood test as well. To be honest, I can't be arsed to sit in a telephone queue for 20 minutes.

My GP health centre are pretty good and usually text me to ask me to arrange blood test followed by an appointment with the DN about 2 weeks after the blood draw so that they will have the results.

I’m a bit across two teams at the moment as I am under my local hospital diabetes team so the DSN and dietician appointments are with them and they have also been really good at contacting me either by text or email. The GP handles annual checks for feet, BP, etc. but I’ve never had anyone review injection sites.

Regarding dietician and porridge, their advice was to switch to homemade porridge rather than the convenience pots :rofl:

Diabetic retinopathy screening appointments for me come from an area group rather than specifically the GP or hospital and are sent by the post.

Ha ha. The vagueness of it all. I was told in no uncertain terms NOT to eat porridge. Reason given, too high in carbs. End of conversation. Obviously I ignored it, ate the stuff tested no harm done. Four years later still eating it and testing occasionally and it remains at a healthy 5.4.
Porridge is something I have most mornings, on the one hand its high in carbs on the other hand it keeps my cholesterol going down, and also its one meal I feel full after and look forward to on waking, if my HbA1c goes up I may stop but while its a downwards trend I am sticking with it 🙂

My GP health centre are pretty good and usually text me to ask me to arrange blood test followed by an appointment with the DN about 2 weeks after the blood draw so that they will have the results.

I’m a bit across two teams at the moment as I am under my local hospital diabetes team so the DSN and dietician appointments are with them and they have also been really good at contacting me either by text or email. The GP handles annual checks for feet, BP, etc. but I’ve never had anyone review injection sites.

Regarding dietician and porridge, their advice was to switch to homemade porridge rather than the convenience pots :rofl:

Diabetic retinopathy screening appointments for me come from an area group rather than specifically the GP or hospital and are sent by the post.
Yes I make homemade porridge too, the good thing is you can make it to the right amount and calculate the carbs, This is also a bad thing if like me you actually tipped too many oats in the pan and didnt bother weighing them out

I always have to book my appointments as my surgery doesn't track when the next appointment is due so i would just make an appointment. My surgery now does the DN review in two consecutive appointments. The first with HCA to check feet etc and the second with a nurse practitioner to do a more in-depth review.

I get phone calls, texts, and chased until I go into see them.
The texts are mostly appointments they make for me, so I'm forced to either change them or turn up.

Porridge is something I have most mornings, on the one hand its high in carbs on the other hand it keeps my cholesterol going down, and also its one meal I feel full after and look forward to on waking, if my HbA1c goes up I may stop but while its a downwards trend I am sticking with it 🙂
Can't go wrong with homemade Porridge - I do the same - Blueberries too...It hasn't done me any harm...whole oats as opposed to quick oats though...

It's also really easy to cook in a pan 😉

In terms of DN appointments, I've always just called to make an appointment, so never missed one - I guess if you haven't heard anything, prod them a bit... 😉

Also the instant pots dont actually fill me up, not sure if its because you eat out of a little plastic pot or the other things added make you hungrier, like after a chinese
Can't go wrong with homemade Porridge - I do the same - Blueberries too...It hasn't done me any harm...whole oats as opposed to quick oats though...

It's also really easy to cook in a pan 😉

In terms of DN appointments, I've always just called to make an appointment, so never missed one - I guess if you haven't heard anything, prod them a bit... 😉
yes blueberries with it too, sometimes in the summer I have cherries, and if I am really naughty I melt a small square of dark chocolate in my porridge.

The instant pots are much more finely processed and hit your blood sugar much faster, so I’d guess they don’t take as long to digest. You’re better getting the jumbo oats than instant pots

I get a letter when it’s due. Have to ring to get bloods done then HCA makes an appointment for a phone call from the DSN! I haven’t seen one in real life since May 2019.
PS my first visit way back I was told to eat pasta and porridge, not together! :rofl: I can’t tolerate porridge even with insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back