DIY Metformin control

Status
Not open for further replies.
So pleased you are feeling more comfortable with your digestive system and confident to go out now.
Hope your new GP practice are as helpful and supportive as you need them to be.

Prunes are quite high carb so you might be better using something very low carb like chia seeds or psyllium husk as a fibre supplement to help your bowel movements. Since I started using them my system has been better than it has been my whole life. It is important to drink plenty with these supplements. I have them in a glass of water on a morning flavoured with a dash of apple cider vinegar and balsamic.... but that is just me.... my gut really appreciates it though. Chia seeds have another advantage in being very high in Omega 3 fatty acids too so a bit of a super food.

So pleased you are feeling more comfortable with your digestive system and confident to go out now.
Hope your new GP practice are as helpful and supportive as you need them to be.

Prunes are quite high carb so you might be better using something very low carb like chia seeds or psyllium husk as a fibre supplement to help your bowel movements. Since I started using them my system has been better than it has been my whole life. It is important to drink plenty with these supplements. I have them in a glass of water on a morning flavoured with a dash of apple cider vinegar and balsamic.... but that is just me.... my gut really appreciates it though. Chia seeds have another advantage in being very high in Omega 3 fatty acids too so a bit of a super food.
Thanks Barbara, will take that on board. Didn't realise prunes were quite high carb. Will drop the number and add in seedy/husky stuff.

Each prune is about 5g carbs (the equivalent of a teaspoon of sugar if it helps to see it like that) and I use them to top my levels up when they are getting a bit too low but not quite hypo... when I use a Jelly baby as it works a bit quicker but carb content wise they are pretty much the same. Obviously the prune is better for me than a JB.
If you are restricting your carb intake then you definitely need to be aware of how many you eat as the carbs can add up very quickly. I look back and could easily eat a whole bag full in a day before diagnosis and think that was healthy. 😳 I now eat one every now and then but for fibre the psyllium and chia beets them hands down and pretty well zero carb.
Most dried fruits are quite high carb.

Each prune is about 5g carbs (the equivalent of a teaspoon of sugar if it helps to see it like that) and I use them to top my levels up when they are getting a bit too low but not quite hypo... when I use a Jelly baby as it works a bit quicker but carb content wise they are pretty much the same. Obviously the prune is better for me than a JB.
If you are restricting your carb intake then you definitely need to be aware of how many you eat as the carbs can add up very quickly. I look back and could easily eat a whole bag full in a day before diagnosis and think that was healthy. 😳 I now eat one every now and then but for fibre the psyllium and chia beets them hands down and pretty well zero carb.
Most dried fruits are quite high carb.
Thanks again Barbara. Had just 1 prune and milled flax seed, didn't have any chia seeds as have just given it to my budgies today. Good prune tip for nearly a hypo too.

I'm trying to get any higher carb stuff in in the morning when I take my metformin! I'm not obsessive about it, but considering what I used to eat, I have cut down mightily..

Best wishes

Carolynn

Thanks again Barbara. Had just 1 prune and milled flax seed, didn't have any chia seeds as have just given it to my budgies today. Good prune tip for nearly a hypo too.

I'm trying to get any higher carb stuff in in the morning when I take my metformin! I'm not obsessive about it, but considering what I used to eat, I have cut down mightily..

Best wishes

Carolynn
Often people are more sensitive to carbs in the morning so tend to opt for a low carb breakfast. The metformin does not act directly on food so has no impact on what you eat at that meal.

Often people are more sensitive to carbs in the morning so tend to opt for a low carb breakfast. The metformin does not act directly on food so has no impact on what you eat at that meal.
The metformin can react with what you eat though and some find more or less side effects depending on the carbs they eat in a meal. I need carbs with it or I get a bad stomach. Some find the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back