Disposing of used medical products

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't talking about sharps. I have a choice for them because we live in one LA area and attend a different LA area for our healthcare and pharmacy. I can either ring the council and get them to collect it for me - so leave it in full view of the bus stop and passers by outside our house (who have done their utmost to demolish our front garden wall and the side fencing between our front and back gardens and the public alleyway since we erected them to replace what they'd previously destroyed) on the appointed day(s) or take just it back to the pharmacy next time we need to visit them. We already have to clear up all the take away containers, beer cans and nub ends and any other crap they dump in the garden so we choose the latter.

Dead lithium AA and AAA batteries can be recycled at Currys 'airport' shop, not the much nearer one we've visited twice this year, and pass once a week in any event once to buy a SumUp machine for the charity OH is treasurer of and the other in the last fortnight to buy a new fridge freezer, so that would involve an extra approx 8 mile round journey in the car - a Diesel Vauxhall Antara. Err, how's that gonna do anything to help save the planet? Our Tescos used to have such a receptacle, but not now.

We aren't talking about sharps. I have a choice for them because we live in one LA area and attend a different LA area for our healthcare and pharmacy. I can either ring the council and get them to collect it for me - so leave it in full view of the bus stop and passers by outside our house (who have done their utmost to demolish our front garden wall and the side fencing between our front and back gardens and the public alleyway since we erected them to replace what they'd previously destroyed) on the appointed day(s) or take just it back to the pharmacy next time we need to visit them. We already have to clear up all the take away containers, beer cans and nub ends and any other crap they dump in the garden so we choose the latter.

Dead lithium AA and AAA batteries can be recycled at Currys 'airport' shop, not the much nearer one we've visited twice this year, and pass once a week in any event once to buy a SumUp machine for the charity OH is treasurer of and the other in the last fortnight to buy a new fridge freezer, so that would involve an extra approx 8 mile round journey in the car - a Diesel Vauxhall Antara. Err, how's that gonna do anything to help save the planet? Our Tescos used to have such a receptacle, but not now.
Most of the Aldi shops have a battery recycling tub or B & Q

This may be a perennial on this forum but if so, direct me to previous discussions.

I am testing blood glucose and I am using a prefilled Trulicity pen to inject once a week. I am accumulating a lot of waste - used lancets and test strips and used pens and would welcome advice as to how to dispose of them. The GPs' surgery say it is not their problem, and the chemists who dispense the prescriptions have washed their hands of it, and say that cannot dispose of used consumables.

So - is this a general problem and what do others do? I haven't even mentioned the over-engineered canisters in which the Glucose test strips are supplied.
Hi I queried it with my local council when on trulicity a few years back and they gave me a sharps box which they swap as and when I need them too, I worked for them at the time and they didn’t like it going to landfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back