Discipline book

Afcpaul

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The power of discipline by Daniel Walter. I think discipline and consistency is the missing ingredient to most peoples successful health regimes. Daniel tackles this in detail (for me). He explains why goal setting i s flawed and it's the inputs / outputs that matters.
anyway it's working for me!. Anyone else feel that discipline and consistency is an unexplored area to health?.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If parents don't teach their children that they need to nurture these skills - then they're not doing a very good job are they!

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Anyone else feel that discipline and consistency is an unexplored area to health?
IMO that applies to all aspects of life. There are good habits I learnt in the army nearly 50 years ago that are still with me. Bring back National Service.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If parents don't teach their children that they need to nurture these skills - then they're not doing a very good job are they!
Too true, but my sister in law when referring to her grandchildren says, “You mustn’t tell teenagers what to do.”

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I work in a primary school. When I first started there, most of the kids were lovely and there were just a few that were a bit of a “handful”. Nowadays it seems that at least half of them think that they can do what the hell they like and why should they listen to anything an adult tells them to do. And I’m talking about 5 year olds. We even have one who tells you to f*** off if you dare to point out that he shouldn’t be doing something. I've only worked there 9 years...

Afcpaul

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I agree with your comments regarding children, but I really refer to adults, slipping into poor habits and procrastination, resulting in weight gain and diabeties, ie. Me!. Then a week of good diet and exercise, two weeks back to old habits.
I agree with Harry's comments.
IMO plenty of diabetic advice loads of diet and exercise gurus. The basic health living knowledge and guidance is easy and obvious, Is there enough focus on habit breaking, discipline, creating new habits and constantly following them about?.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Lack of education is the greatest problem combined with lack of recognition by the medical profession as a whole that anyone NOT in receipt of a medical degree has a brain capable of comprehending the subject - and that everyone is different. Not a single one of our bodies actually 100% follows the theory of what happens when - and never will in Real Life. Of course they don't, when the bodies in question are NOT theoretical ones!

But a medical degree does not teach such things a breaking habits - only that you shouldn't, eg, smoke, because of this that and the other hence you should merely stop, what's difficult to understand about that? Well nothing whatsoever, obviously! Even to the thickest individual it makes nothing but sense.

Until you attempt to do it.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you Google The Power of Discipline you’d be shocked at some of the websites revealed.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you Google The Power of Discipline you’d be shocked at some of the websites revealed.
Only if you’ve led a sheltered life