Disastrous day

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fracture healed OK, but I do now have arthritis in it. Exercise helps. I also had to take those horrible injections in my tummy. I was sore and bruised for several weeks, but was not allowed to fly home without them. Yes, you remind me I did have to wiggle my toes and rotate my ankle. I was actually on my way INTO the wine bar when I tripped, but nobody believes me!! Hope the "no eating" doesn't screw up your blood glucose.
Just wondered if you had any suggestions, still waiting for surgery booked for next Tues and I have been keeping my leg straight and raised, moving my ankle and toes periodically and walking with the crutches a few steps every so often, but my foot is getting really puffy and swollen. Probably from not walking about as I usually do but any idea how I can minimise it. Thanks

Just wondered if you had any suggestions, still waiting for surgery booked for next Tues and I have been keeping my leg straight and raised, moving my ankle and toes periodically and walking with the crutches a few steps every so often, but my foot is getting really puffy and swollen. Probably from not walking about as I usually do but any idea how I can minimise it. Thanks
I had a recent anaesthetic. I was allowed a sugary drink at about 7 am they took my BG before and after surgery. I had to stay overnight and the food was awful. Not considered anything for diabetics. I got a sandwich when I got to the ward and it had a great big lump of corned beef in it. Dinner wasn’t any better. I was fine with the diabetes. I had rotator cuff surgery and 4 anchors 2 years ago and last year I had the other shoulder operated on for bursitis and a bone scrape. I live alone and got home helps but didn’t keep them long. Can i suggest you look at an online mobility suppliers and it will give you an idea of what you can buy to help you? With not being able to use my arm or hand I bought a toileting aid. Not going into personal details but it was a great help to me. I wish you well with your operation and I’m sure you will find inner strength to get you through it. I was terrified before mine but it all went well.

Sorry to hear that. It wasn't a problem I had when my knee was in the brace, so I can't offer any suggestions. My ankle swells anyway since I broke it in a separate accident, so I do keep rotating it, and my chiropodist manipulates it occasionally, as does my chiropodist and beautician.

Update on the knee surgery. I have just returned from hospital after my knee surgery on Wednesday, The surgeon said it went well and he was able to screw in the loose bone and reattach the tendon. It is still fairly painful and I have to keep it straight and immobile for 2 weeks. Then physio to get some bending.
Hospital food not ideal for Type 2s, toast/cereal for breakfast, very carby stuff otherwise, even the yoghurts were 12g carb per pot but managed to select omelette and salad and had the yoghurt and a eclaire but had to scrape the chocolate off as much too sweet, I didn't really eat very much. Blood glucose this am 5.4mmol/l having been quite high after the surgery.
They did look after me pretty well so can't complain.

Last edited:
So pleased the surgery went well and fingers crossed it has been as successful as the surgeon believes. Time will tell. That's amazing that you got a reading in the 5s after the surgery and hospital food! Have a gold star for that!

Hospital food CAN be quite good as long as you are not T2.

After I had had a brain tumour removed about 10 years ago, I lost both my sense of smell and taste. However, the sensation of pleasure, enjoyment and delight when eating food was still there. No idea why or what triggered the resposes but they were definitely there. Surpised me. Taste and smell are not the only ways the brain registers eating food and enjoying it.

Thankfully both the sense of smell and taste have returned somewhat.

Now, because of T2 I am very careful of what I eat AND have discoved just how good, good food really is. I savour each meal now. I rediscovered not just food, but the enjoyment of cooking and eating too.

There are so many new foods in my repetoire now too.

Hope your healing continues to go well. Reassuring stuff from the surgeon too.

One month on from the disastrous day, unbelievably bored but minimal pain, more of an ache towards the end of the day.
The surgeon was happy with the wound which has healed really well. I start the physio on Tuesday but still having to keep the leg straight in the brace. Much of the discomfort has been from the brace catching on the ankle bone so I have had to put loads of padding around it. I can weight bare OK so I actually managed to do some prep for Dinner yesterday.

A lovely sounding low carb recipe on the Saturday kitchen best bites this morning. Celeriac ribbons, celery, swiss chard, toasted pumpkin seeds and parmesan, thyme and lemon. Quick and simple. Makes a change to see something low carb on a cookery program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back