Dietary advice confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest, what changed in the last 7 years that made the advice from healthcare professionals go from "adopt a low GI diet" to "just eat healthily"?

When I had gestational diabetes, I had to stick to low GI - it was the same GP practise, why have they changed that advice now?

I can't answer your question directly Lisa, but the GI isn't always the best guide of a good balanced diet (just to complicate things further!). Glycaemic LOAD (GL) is the latest thinking, where foods of different GI are combined. GL takes account of portion size, which GI doesn't really, and the overall lowering effect of very low GI foods wen combined with higher GI food. GI is a useful initial guide, but GL gives more flexibility.

Perhaps they changed bacause people following a strictly low GI diet might omit foods of a higher GI that would be beneficial in their diet?

Just out of interest, what changed in the last 7 years that made the advice from healthcare professionals go from "adopt a low GI diet" to "just eat healthily"?

When I had gestational diabetes, I had to stick to low GI - it was the same GP practise, why have they changed that advice now?
I don't know why they are giving out the advice that they do. However, personally, I think it might be because they are trying to give out a single healthy eating diet is suitable for all. If that is the case, then it is all well and good until that advice reaches someone that has a major health problem something like diabetes. In such a case the advice that is given out needs to be tempered to take account of that particular person's health problem. For example, in a more extreme instance, they wouldn't advise someone with a nut allergy that it is OK to eat the odd nut would they? I have been at group meetings where dietititians have told diabetics that it is OK for them to eat Mars bars if they really wish to do so. I do think that I can understand what is going on in their minds when they say such things but, in my opinion, it really is a quite appalling thing for a healthcare professional to say to a diabetic!

Now, I do realise that as a non-insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetic I can eat almost anything in small quantities - even chocolate and sugar etc - and that doing so wouldn't have any short term affect on my health situation. What eating such things in larger quantities or on a regular basis is quite another matter - especially in the longer term with respect to diabetic complications. Personally, I prefer to keep such foods on my "I don't eat list". Starchy carbohydrates such as cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta etc are moving well up the list as far as I am concerned and, although I do eat very small amounts of them, I'm increasingly avoiding eating them and finding my carbohydrate intake from other food types such as fruit and vegetables.

Whenever I do eat starchy carbohydrates these days, I do choose the Low-GI or Low-GL options. However, these versions are still starchy carbohydrates and send my blood glucose levels higher than other foods so I do eat them only in small quantities and treat them with great caution.

Hi there ,
They haven't changed advice.
The advice for t2s is still a low GI, mediterranean style diet.
What seems to be missing from this thread is PORTION size/control.
DESMOND ( try get on a course if you can ) envisages 15 grams as a Carb portion for T2s and advises 15 of them a day.
DESMOND pushes carb awareness and low GI concepts.
Start weighing carbs you will find how small 15 grams of carbs is ( ONE small new potato for example.)
Experience suggests that LOW SPIKE diet ( under 8 at 2 hours post-prandial) is a good regime to follow.

I'm gonna agree with Northerner on this one. In my oppinion you have to go with what works for you. No two people's bodies are the same, and if if they were, we all live different lifestyles and have different constrants on our time, energy and budget etc. In an ideal world, we'd all have dedicated dietitians who could help us work out what was best for us, low carb or low fat or whatever, but due to the lack of staff and cash, i guess the NHS can't do that and has to provide what's seen as a "happy medium". I agree with Wally in that we all need access to test strips to help us decided what's best for us, but alas, i think the standard dietry advice (plus metformin) is working for me. (Look, if i had to cut down on sugar and carbs i think i'd go crazy, seriously, i'm a total carb addict these days...i go a bit funny if i don't get my pasta fix...:D). But i live on my own, and a long way away from my family, if i had a hypo at home i don't know what i'd do, it'd be a big worry for both me and my family, so for now i'm happy on the low fat with metformin approach. I'm not saying that's gonna work for everyone, if your diabetes is better with a low carb diet, then that's great, keep up the good work.

Rachel

This is all great reading, thank you for helping 🙂

I cant test my bloods after meals as they've told me not to. They said type 2 diabetics dont always need to measure their blood glucose, as they often test too often and do nothing about it (eg they regularly get high results and dont alter their diet - so whats the point in testing). They didnt rule out testing, just said that if I needed to do it, they'd tell me and give me everything I need - and that time isn't now.

I guess I'll find out more after my next tests. As for all in moderation - I'm one of those people who cant do that. If someone told me I could eat a mars bar, I'd have them every day - I have no control. In fact finding out I'm diabetic has been somewhat liberating (all be it depressing!), as now I say to myself "I cant have that" rather than "I shouldnt, but just this once!" :D

I am still greatly struggling with thirst/weeing - I know it's only been a week, but how long will it be on this diet before I get relief from those symptoms? I'm actually deliberately forgetting to drink now in order to get through the night, but I have a mouth like a carpet 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back