Dietary advice confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallycorker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Kim,

The first thing that most Type 2s need to learn is to cut back on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice.

Starting to test is a good idea too so that you can learn which foods send your blood glucose levels too high.

Best wishes - John

Hi Kim, welcome to the site, like you I'm newly diagnosed and feeling very low about things - if you ever want a natter just pm.

Hi Kim,

The first thing that most Type 2s need to learn is to cut back on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice.

Starting to test is a good idea too so that you can learn which foods send your blood glucose levels too high.

Best wishes - John

This is the exact opposite to what I've been told, I've been given a chart that says starchy carbs (wholegrain bread, brown pasta and brown rice) are what I need to be eating every day.

...This is the exact opposite to what I've been told, I've been given a chart that says starchy carbs (wholegrain bread, brown pasta and brown rice) are what I need to be eating every day.

Hi LisaQ, there is no 'ideal' diet, unfortunately. Some people are able to tolerate more carbs than other, or different ones affect them in different ways. This is why testing can be an important tool to find out how you can perhaps continue to eat things you enjoy, or might have to make modifications to your diet. Low GI (glycaemic index) or Low GL (glycaemic load) diets are most appropriate for diabetics as they contain foods that slowly release the glucose into the bloodstream - worth checking out your library for books.

This is the exact opposite to what I've been told, I've been given a chart that says starchy carbs (wholegrain bread, brown pasta and brown rice) are what I need to be eating every day.
Hi LisaQ,

Yes - that doesn't surprise me because that is the advice that a lot of healthcare professionals give out.

I was following that very same advice for eight years and my Type 2 diabetic situation just gradually worsened. Unavoidable and expected progression the healthcare professionals call it!

Since then I started testing to find out what different foods did to my blood glucose levels. By making small gradual changes to my diet - mainly cutting back on starchy carbohydrates such as cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice etc - I have normalised my blood glucose levels over the last twelve months. My HbA1c readings have gone down from 9.4% to being 5.3% the last twice.

Any diabetic symptoms that I had experienced previously have disappeared altogether.

Best wishes - John

Last edited:
It's hard to test when you're not given the materials to do so and are told you dont need to. I asked about monitoring (having had gestational diabetes treated with insulin in the past - I remembered regular monitoring being important) and was told - dont get a testing kit, dont check your blood sugar levels, if I need them they'll tell me. I dont go back til the beginning of December. I've no dietician appointment, only retinal scanning. I was basically told to stick to a healthy diet, given a chart (British Hypertension Society one - not a diabetic one) that shows foods I should eat daily, foods I can eat every other day, foods I can eat once a week, and foods I should avoid. And I was told to stick to the first column.

Sorry for taking over your thread btw, just concerns me that the advice given by the health care providers and factual websites (eg this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/nutrition/dietary_diabetes.shtml) doesn't match that given on the forum. I'm even more confused than I was initially, as if it isn't scarey enough! :confused:

Hi John and LisQ, I moved these posts to a new thread as I think it is an important discussion🙂

I think ther eis a lot of confusion with diet or dietry needs and even the esperts are confused. the best dietry advice is here as we all have to do it on a practical day to day basis.

I know we are not a substitute for medical advice and we are all different, but the this worked for me approach is a good one.

this is my view , I must admit im more wary now of carbs then i was before diagnosis (obviously) im using brown rice more then white same with bread, im not using half as many potatoes as usual , but if im really honest im not that well educated on carbs and thats through my own ignorance i really should look into it more but ive always took a stance i wont cut them out altogether.

Similarly confused

Hi everyone. Lisa - sounds like you and I have had the same treatment! I was diagnosed (via phone call from doc) last Friday, given an appointment with the practice nurse Monday past. She handed me some diet sheets, a form to apply for a podiatry appointment, gave me some exercise and general diet advice and told it wasn't really necessary for me to be testing and that the strips etc were very expensive. However, I'll give her credit here, she DID give me a meter and showed me how to use it. Just suggested that I use it no more than once a week!

The diet sheets she gave me give the same advice as the BBC web pages, to include starchy foods with every meal. I've asked for a referral to a dietician as I'm worried that without advice specific to me and my needs, blindly following diet sheets and not regularly testing to check trends, I'm being set up for automatic failure. I believe that the guidelines state as well as retinal screening we should automatically be referred to a dietician. Might be worth asking your doc re this?

Footnote: a big thank you to everyone in the forum - I've been greatly reassured by the help and support you offer to us all. Pat yourselves on the back - you are a great bunch!!

Karina

Funnily enough I was thinking of starting a thread to ask about carbs as I have seen people mentioning them a lot & when I had my "education" session 18 months ago we werent told to cut them out. I am aware that low GI is better but havent looked into that as much as I probably should have😱

Does seem like it is slightly different for everyone. Not actually sure what the point of my post is as I seem to be answering myself before Im even asking a question. But I am confused🙄 (usual state for me!)

......and if there are any of you who haven't supported my e-petitiion on 10 Downing Street regarding the need to review the appalling "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice that is being given out then please, please do so now.

The e-petition can be found via the link below:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Diabetes-Advice/

Hope that some more will consider supporting my petition so that we can get the number of supporters up to 500 - i.e. to the level where the Government will need to respond. The petition has 442 supporters so far - so not too far to go.

Best Wishes - John

Sorry if I came over as angry with you guys, I'm not, I'm angry at them and me (for letting myself get this big and therefore getting diabetes).

I'm just really struggling - I have to lose weight - literally half my body weight. I'm classed as morbidly obese, I've always been big but steadily gained since I had pelvis issues in my triplet pregnancy (which didnt recover - so I now suffer chronic pelvic pain and walk with crutches most days). Due to other health concerns since, I've also had a hysterectomy at 27, and lost an ovary the January before last. The other one is by this point probably not working either, and if it is - there's a cyst on that too - so my hormones are all over the place.

So I gave up smoking nearly 2 years ago, cant drink as I'm on medication for the pain, cant go out much, ended up getting anxiety attacks when going out so the pain meds double up for that (amitriptyline). So now I cant smoke, cant drink, and cant comfort eat. I feel about ready to explode.

And the one thing I was gripping onto was that I was allowed bread LOL. And now I'm reading I have to cut that out too? And I'm permanently thirsty and needing the loo and I'm just super fed up.

Sorry for sounding like I was saying you guys are wrong, I'm not at all - I know how valuable forums are for REAL advice. I'm just so confused and dont have any idea what I should be eating.

Does anyone have any info on a diet for losing weight and combating diabetes at the same time?

.............And the one thing I was gripping onto was that I was allowed bread LOL. And now I'm reading I have to cut that out too? ............................................Does anyone have any info on a diet for losing weight and combating diabetes at the same time?
Hi Lisa,

You don't have to cut anything out altogether. You simply need to come to learn which foods send your blood glucose levels to high levels and then it's up to you to decide what amounts of those foods - if any - that you want to eat.

As regards dieting to lose weight then in my opinion that too is fairly simple you will only achieve weight loss if you eat less calories than your body is using up. Calorie counting is the way I do it - others tell me carbohydrate counting has worked for them.

It really is all well worth the effort.

Best wishes - John

Lisa, it's perfectly reasonable you are confused as the general advice does conflict with many people's experiences of how best to deal with their diabetes. Rest assured that you CAN still have bread (best to make it multigrain or oatmeal, some people find 'Burgen' linseed bread is the best of all), and you can still have other carbohydrates. As you say, the lower the GI, the better, as this will release its glucose more slowly into the bloodstream and thus avoid the 'spikes' that less-friendly GI foods can (like white bread).

The argument goes that carbs convert more readily to glucose and therefore, by restricting them you are putting less strain on your pancreas to produce insulin to 'cover' them. But people have varying degrees of sensitivity to different foods, and this is what you can only discover for yourself - and only testing the effects will give you a high degree of accuracy in assessing this.

Therefore, some people are extremly low-carb, maybe 60-80 grams per day. Others find a good balance is at 140 grams per day, and yet others find they can happily indulge in 250 grams of the 'right' kind of carbs for them. This is why no single diet sheet or generalised advice can fit all people.

Of course, there are many people who are not prepared to learn for themselves and are happy to follow the general advice given to them by thier GP, nurse or dietician. In these cases, at least some of the potential harm can be mitigated by preventing such people from eating completely the wrong foods.

I hope I have managed to clarify the issue for you. It is more complex than we are first led to believe, but then again, the human body is an astonishingly complex thing!🙂

Thank you for that excellent post Toby - couldn't (and didn't) say it better myself!🙂

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" that many of us Type 2s receive from healthcare professionals is absolutely appalling.

For those of you who haven't read my story of Type 2 reversal then you can do so here from elsewhere on this forum:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=3961&highlight=reversal

Wow, thanks for that. What an inspiration! Makes me more determined to control my diet :D

Thanks Northerner!

I just question, why people on low-carb or atkins diets, feel the need to tell others to follow their ways. They harp on how good it is, but I doubt they are truly happy with thier diet. This is why loathe to hear people can control their diabetes well, without going to extreme measures. Little research has been carried out on such extreme diets, they are being blindly led by a small minority. I trust the advice of my professionals; people who have spent years of studying and research to gain professional qualifications.

Toby

I don't have problem with people following particular diets, it is their choice and useful for us to hear of their experiences (as John/wallycorker and C5_Dodger have done). But I do object to the scare tactics and insistence that it is the only solution that some evangelise about. We hve to make compromises and sacrifices to achieve the best quality of life we can. For some, this might mean extremely low carb diets which may mean less medication. Others may be better having a more flexible diet aided by medication - no-one can determine what the best balance for anyone else is, only supply information so that personal decisions can be made when the pros and cons have been assessed.

Just out of interest, what changed in the last 7 years that made the advice from healthcare professionals go from "adopt a low GI diet" to "just eat healthily"?

When I had gestational diabetes, I had to stick to low GI - it was the same GP practise, why have they changed that advice now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back